• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Really nice ride today - started so far back, if he'd been protected and well positioned he'd have gone with Martin if not Froome.

Bodes well if he's already comfortably top 10 in the Tour on those sorts of finishes - hard to see who is going to be allowed in a breakaway that'll be any better in the last 2 weeks.

General classification

CJaFjaIXAAEXQ62.png

Re: Re:

jaylew said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Another decent day - nice to see Adam at the front, lots of uninformed chat that Simon was stronger since he was injured by Basque idiocy.

Wasn't Simon in the same group?

It looked like Adam was trying to set Simon up a la Sanchez and Gilbert. Simon followed Sagan's wheel and didn't try to attack like Vuillemoz, probably because he thought Sagan would follow him.

Re: Re:

Waterloo Sunrise said:
jaylew said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Another decent day - nice to see Adam at the front, lots of uninformed chat that Simon was stronger since he was injured by Basque idiocy.

Wasn't Simon in the same group?

Yep, but Adam got the better placing today - the point is just that for those with memories longer than 3 months, there isn't a 'better' brother at this point
I'd agree with that. I don't think either bro has clearly distinguished himself above the other. I don't even think we can say with any certainty what kind of rider either will be just yet.

It's going to be tough for them to get a stage win, but hopefully they can at least animate the race in the mountains, and Simon showed a great sprint in the dauphine at the end of the last stage, which should help. I think KoM would be a reasonable goal as well. Hopefully the rest has helped!

I don't think stage 10 is likely, though. I doesn't lend itself to the breakaway with that big section of flat before the climb. 11 and 12 look much more break-friendly.

These 2 are hard to set apart,good ride for Adam today.I still believe that one of them will grab a stage somehow.

“I thought at the beginning of this Tour that a stage win was always possible,” said Yates after the stage. “I’ve shown in the past that I can climb with some of the best guys in world when I’m on a good day, it’s just that the Tour de France is another step up. We’ll try again another day.”
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/raci...at-contador-and-nibali-in-the-pyrenees-182482

Simon has had a cold apparently so not at his best the last couple of days.

Great ride today from Adam; they're both likely to be the strongest climber in any break they're in so it's just about taking chances and getting lucky really.

Given that ride today, this should be the last GT where Adam ever willingly gives up time and chases stages for quite some time.

The Yates' sometimes seem to have bad positioning. On today's stage when the group had been whittled down to 30 or so, Adam was about the 5th man from the back. Clearly he is not only the 25th strongest rider so he could and should move up to give himself the chance to mark and follow a strong attack, eg Gesink or Valls' today. It seems like their gameplan is often to let the real overall contenders attack, then get into a group of second tier climbers like Valverde, Rodriguez, Mollema etc and then attack from the group to finish an impressive fifth a couple of minutes after the real stage win has already been decided. If Adam had been near the front today, it's possible he could have gone with Gesink, attacked him, and then even if he couldn't outpace him he might have linked up with Froome, who has in the past been generous enough to offer others the stage in return for helping him.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Would be surprised if Adam could have climbed with Froome though.

Anyway great ride by him today- really excited by these twins! Thinking that they have a great chance for at least one stage win (either of them). Will Adam ride with GC boys often? Or was this just to test the legs?