• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Purito had a few great years climbing wise that I don't think Yates will ever replicate - Vuelta 2012 and last week of Tour 2013. But Yates is a more all-round bike rider than Purito, he HAS a better time trial and is quite simply a better rouleur. I would favour Purito any day of the week on a typical murito finish tho.

Great performance.

Re: Re:

Andy262 said:
Stella0596 said:
Andy262 said:
Would like to see Simon have a go at LBL. Has he ridden the race?

I've looked it up: twice apparantly, in 2015 he was 39th 2:41 down to Valverde, and last year he ended up in 153th 16:39 down (and the last rider to finish!)

Sure he could contend in his current form and with another couple of years under his wheels.

Yeah, i'm always surprised when the Yates brothers don't ride the ardennes classics. They seem farly well suited.

I guess the coming weekend will tell us whether Simon can stay with the head of the peleton on the long and high mountain climbs.

No Sky train to contend with so far - if one actually exists and goes to work they may drop their leader.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

SlickMongoose said:
Andy262 said:
Stella0596 said:
Andy262 said:

I've looked it up: twice apparantly, in 2015 he was 39th 2:41 down to Valverde, and last year he ended up in 153th 16:39 down (and the last rider to finish!)

Sure he could contend in his current form and with another couple of years under his wheels.

Yeah, i'm always surprised when the Yates brothers don't ride the ardennes classics. They seem farly well suited.
How come you say Yates brothers don't ride Ardennes classics when they actually do? :)

Truth is they ride them but aren't very succesful there. There've always been someone better in the team with twins; be it Matthews or Kreuziger or Albasini.

Kokoso said:
SlickMongoose said:
Andy262 said:
Stella0596 said:
Andy262 said:

How come you say Yates brothers don't ride Ardennes classics when they actually do? :)

Truth is they ride them but aren't very succesful there. There've always been someone better in the team with twins; be it Matthews or Kreuziger or Albasini.

I said I'm surprised when they don't, not that they always don't.

Blanco said:
yaco said:
You'll find that A.Yates performs better than Simon in the long one day races - They'll get their chances in the Ardennes.

He performed better in the GT's also, but that's about to change. I think that Simon is the better one, time will tell...

Always believed that for GC riders year 5 in the peleton gives you a clearer insight into their future performance - Both are tracking at a similar level - We'll know more at the end of the year.

I'm surprised that this thread is not staying on top of page 1 of our forum...the dude is dominating Il Giro. We are way past half of the stages, and yes the toughest has yet to come, but man! If my Tibopino was in his place right now, I'd be buying Prosecco by the case. Is it due to a lack of fan base, or some feeling that he'll Kruijswijk it? I don't know what to make of it.

So far, Simon Yates is the boss. A surprise, but what will the other riders do? For Dumoulin, it's pretty clear: smash the ITT, get an insurmountable lead, hang on. What about the rest? Counting on a bad day is putting your destiny in HIS hands (well, legs). Not a good idea IMO.

So it all revolves around the idea that he will crack at some point. I'm not following him much at all. If you do, tell me what you think...please :) .

Tonton said:
I'm surprised that this thread is not staying on top of page 1 of our forum...the dude is dominating Il Giro. We are way past half of the stages, and yes the toughest has yet to come, but man! If my Tibopino was in his place right now, I'd be buying Prosecco by the case. Is it due to a lack of fan base, or some feeling that he'll Kruijswijk it? I don't know what to make of it.

So far, Simon Yates is the boss. A surprise, but what will the other riders do? For Dumoulin, it's pretty clear: smash the ITT, get an insurmountable lead, hang on. What about the rest? Counting on a bad day is putting your destiny in HIS hands (well, legs). Not a good idea IMO.

So it all revolves around the idea that he will crack at some point. I'm not following him much at all. If you do, tell me what you think...please :) .

He's been fantastic so far but I definitely think there's still an underlying suspicion that he'll crack later in the race - even though we're over halfway through you'd still have to say there's more difference making stages coming in the remaining stages. He does seem to start stronger than he's finished in GT's and there's enough varied talent in the race to force him into some awkard positions which could be hard to handle unless he's outright the strongest every single stage.

There's probably also a bit of hesitance to get really excited until after the weekends big challenges too. If he comes through that with flying colours it'll start to look like more of a concrete possibility.

It'll be fun seeing how he handles it all, particularly if the others start really going after him.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
For anyone aside Dumoulin it's simple. Attack from further out. Don't let Yates outpunch you.

Pinot, Pozzo, etc have to try something from further than 3km out.

They will, Zoncolan is around the corner, and there you haven't got teams, trains, super domestiques, it's every man for himself already at 8-9km to go. We'll see who's the best "real" climber there. Comparing to Zonc, every other mountain so far was a joke.

Eclipse said:
Tonton said:

He's been fantastic so far but I definitely think there's still an underlying suspicion that he'll crack later in the race - even though we're over halfway through you'd still have to say there's more difference making stages coming in the remaining stages. He does seem to start stronger than he's finished in GT's and there's enough varied talent in the race to force him into some awkard positions which could be hard to handle unless he's outright the strongest every single stage.

There's probably also a bit of hesitance to get really excited until after the weekends big challenges too. If he comes through that with flying colours it'll start to look like more of a concrete possibility.

It'll be fun seeing how he handles it all, particularly if the others start really going after him.

See bolded part. I'm always excited when there's a new GT winner or serious contender. Tomorrow could be crazy -- they've got to test Yates on the Zoncolan, but I just don't think he'll crack. The other hopefuls outside of TD have kind of messed up in various ways and have put the pressure on themselves rather than Yates at this point.

I'm very curious as to Froome's true form. If he takes 1:30 back, he'll be in the running for a podium. Aru could be feeling frisky, even Bennett or Carapaz could take their shots. TBH I don't know much about Konrad or Bilbao -- need to do some background reading. Pinot -- hard to say, I think he'll mark Yates and save fire for later in the race.

My prediction is that Yates handles it, so long as he doesn't try to follow every attack early on.

Blanco said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
For anyone aside Dumoulin it's simple. Attack from further out. Don't let Yates outpunch you.

Pinot, Pozzo, etc have to try something from further than 3km out.

They will, Zoncolan is around the corner, and there you haven't got teams, trains, super domestiques, it's every man for himself already at 8-9km to go. We'll see who's the best "real" climber there. Comparing to Zonc, every other mountain so far was a joke.
Though even the Zonc is not always the same. I looked up some previous results, sometimes huge gaps within the top 10 (up till 3/4 minutes), but sometimes the first 5 of the 'bigs' are still within 50s, with 4 within 20sec of eachother.

So it all depends..

TRENDING THREADS