• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Poursuivant said:
The mindgames have started...

Simon Yates (Mitchelton-Scott) threw the hammer down with a vengeance in his pre-Giro d'Italia press conference, stating categorically that he is in top condition to win his second consecutive Grand Tour. If he was in his rivals' position, he said, "I would be scared, I’d be shitting myself.”

I like this. The Generic " I can win it and so can many others" answer can be boring at times.

Re:

SafeBet said:
As I've said a number of times, some trash talking is not bad for cycling at all.
I miss Wiggo, he was a master of this kind of stuff.

I don't like it, I like humble champions, and I hope he was joking cause I really liked Simon Yates as a rider. But if this was not a joke, I hope he doesn't win this Giro.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/matt-whites-stage-by-stage-guide-to-the-giro-ditalia/
Matt White’s stage-by-stage guide to the Giro d’Italia

stage 2 -
What I also found was that the descent of the final climb of the San Baronto is super fast, so if a group is still clear at the bottom of the descent it’s going to be quite hard for the chase to become organized. Also, if that final descent is wet then it’s going to be really dangerous. It’s rapid and it’s technical.

Guess what the forecast is for? Yep, rain. Take it easy!

Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
SafeBet said:
Nibali didn't take Simon's joke too well.
It's Tour 2012 all over again: BEEF! :D

Too easy for Yates. Surprised Nibali got triggered, thought he was old and wise enough to not take the bait.

Nibali is as you say, old and wise enough not to care what anyone says. He is just trying to put Yates on the defensive, trying to mess with his head. He tried similar games with Dumoulin a couple of years ago. It didn’t work then and I suspect it won’t work now.

Re:

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Decent start - weirdly slow on the flat bit of the TT - presumably air was a little cooler by then which won't have helped, but no rain disaster at least. Climbing about where expected - just need to hope it's Roglic that cracks and not him.

Don’t know how true but apparently a bit of a tailwind for the earlier riders disappeared for the later riders, but as you say, I think that was ideal for Yates, maybe getting the jersey right now for Roglic isn’t ideal because it is hard to see where he can lose it for the first week or so. Having said that I liked how happy he was to win today and take Pink.

Re:

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Decent start - weirdly slow on the flat bit of the TT - presumably air was a little cooler by then which won't have helped, but no rain disaster at least. Climbing about where expected - just need to hope it's Roglic that cracks and not him.
Maybe the start was intentional, to go all out on his favoured part of the course.

The second TT is much harder on him, as the climb is inconsistent but broadly around 6-7%, which suits powerful riders. Beyond that, the only issue until stage 13 will be a few sketchy downhills, but he's well on track to enter the mountains with a two minute deficit or there abouts.

Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Maybe the start was intentional, to go all out on his favoured part of the course.

The second TT is much harder on him, as the climb is inconsistent but broadly around 6-7%, which suits powerful riders. Beyond that, the only issue until stage 13 will be a few sketchy downhills, but he's well on track to enter the mountains with a two minute deficit or there abouts.

Whether for the reason you mentioned, or others, I don't think today's flat section is representative of his TT form - would be very disappointed if he lost 1:40 on a 35km TT with a climb in it

Plus Friday looks a pretty good chance for him to grab bonus seconds, if not an actual time gap as well - sort of stage he ate up last year.

He might have wanted to be a little closer to Roglic, but ultimately 19 seconds is not going to make the difference given the huge gaps that could open in the third week. At the very least Jumbo will have to expend some energy riding at the front in the first week which should even things out.

TRENDING THREADS