• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
jaylew said:
yaco said:
Davesta said:
Presumably Chaves will be their Vuelta GC contender, given he's refinding his feet this year?

There will be no GC focus at the Vuelta - It will be about stage hunting.
I'll believe that when I see it.

They don't have the riders to ride a decent GC - Chaves is still finding his form while Nieve could finish just inside the top 10 if he rides GC - You aim for top 5 if you are serious for GC.

yaco said:
jaylew said:
yaco said:
Davesta said:
Presumably Chaves will be their Vuelta GC contender, given he's refinding his feet this year?

They don't have the riders to ride a decent GC - Chaves is still finding his form while Nieve could finish just inside the top 10 if he rides GC - You aim for top 5 if you are serious for GC.
I guess we'll see in August.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
yaco said:
jaylew said:
yaco said:
Davesta said:

Nieve would ride better GC than 8th place this Giro. Sadly, Yates was leader.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
IndianCyclist said:
Actually Simon should have abandoned the Giro after it was clear he didnt have the goods to podium and then trained for the TDF. Now it is a waste as support instead of trying to win the Vuelta

No!

If riders start abandoning Grand Tours when they can ride top 5, I really don't know where we're headed.

It's not a computer game where you can just press restart.

totally agree, he trained for Giro, he wasn't injured just didn't have form

Kokoso said:
yaco said:
jaylew said:
yaco said:
Davesta said:

Nieve would ride better GC than 8th place this Giro. Sadly, Yates was leader.

What a weird post - Yates won his last GT and you wanted Nieve as leader - Wow !

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
@yaco your post is weird, not mine. It is not only hysterical, it's wrong, too. I've never said I wanted Nieve as a leader before Giro. Read properly, at least if you are to scream hystericaly in reaction.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

tobydawq said:
And Nieve wasn't even that good in the Giro. He was dropped by Ciccone and Hirt on the Mortirolo stage.
For the first part see reactiom to yaco. For the second -
youu can't really compare them this way. They've had different workload previous days; took part in different escapes...
Besides Hirt is helluva rider on slopes like Mortirolo.

Kokoso said:
tobydawq said:
And Nieve wasn't even that good in the Giro. He was dropped by Ciccone and Hirt on the Mortirolo stage.
For the first part see reactiom to yaco. For the second -
youu can't really compare them this way. They've had different workload previous days; took part in different escapes...
Besides Hirt is helluva rider on slopes like Mortirolo.
This, Hirt and Ciccone only rode a few seconds slower than Mollema and Roglic while spending the whole day in the breakaway and sprinting for KoM points, they were super strong.
The bigger problem for the team is that they don't have many riders who can support them in the mountains and ride a strong TTT, maybe Bookwalter, but the rest is more pure climbers or proper rouleurs.

Re:

Oliver said:
Great win by Simon. The team is lucky they take him to the Tour.

His brother... I hope he does understand now that he isn’t a GC rider in a grand tour. Lost many time today, probably wants to go for a stage now?
He finished 4th when he was still riding for white. Of course he is a GC rider. Just not likely a GC winner.

Singer01 said:
Oliver said:
Great win by Simon. The team is lucky they take him to the Tour.

His brother... I hope he does understand now that he isn’t a GC rider in a grand tour. Lost many time today, probably wants to go for a stage now?
He finished 4th when he was still riding for white. Of course he is a GC rider. Just not likely a GC winner.

Not a GC rider at a GT - He's talented enough for short stage races and one day races.

TRENDING THREADS