• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bruyneel Found Levi's Blood Bag

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Add into that - given how strong omerta is there are, if he has fessed up and told all then I am not sure how welcome he will be next season. Strikes me that the Dwarf is cashing in while he can because he knows that the music is going to stop very soon.

Like I said...he's gotta lot of Road ID inventory to dump before the GJ convenes.

Damiano Machiavelli said:
Anyway, it says a lot that Bottle has his most successful season and Bruyneel will not renew his contract. He must have really p1ssed off Buyneel and Lance.

OR he realized is time to get the fvck out ASAP before the LA bomb goes off....I mean-look @ Hincapie-he's getting the best of the situation-being active & far away from LA & JB manipulation-LL perhaps thought it through & decided to milk the system at least a year or two offshore in Europe where he can dodge all the bullets while the storm lasts....

Mrs John Murphy said:
Add into that - given how strong omerta is there are, if he has fessed up and told all then I am not sure how welcome he will be next season. Strikes me that the Dwarf is cashing in while he can because he knows that the music is going to stop very soon.

I think that's a good point. With the grand jury proceedings being secret, LL can lie and say whatever he wants if it fits the situation and not have to worry about being discovered until after the ink is dry on the latest contract. So that covers the potential breaking of omerta fall-out.

And then he must know at the same time that the gig is up w/ respect to his ability to successfully dope w/o marginal risk for race after race, year after year, especially if he told the truth the to grand jury (even under offer of immunity). The older you get, the less potent you are, thus the more dope you need, and the greater risk you run, even if you become more adept at the actual process of doping the longer you are involved in it.

For all I know, however, Levi hasn't doped since he lapped me at Nationals that year...

But someone like Patrick Lefevere, an old hand w/ no illusions, creates the same environment at Quick Step as that which existed (exists?) at other old-man friendly teams (like BMC, for example) - one in which the directors never actively encourage doping, and they explicitly claim to reject it and profess zero loyalty to any rider caught w/ a needle, while at the same time the accept w/o question performance gains that cannot reasonably be explained by factors not involving/derived-from doping. If LL is doping then it only makes sense that he would seek out a team that was as receptive to the results of doping as the team he might leave.

note: Thomas Frei clearly explained the environment to which I refer to cyclingnews.com:

But Frei said there was never pressure from within his teams. "I am not a victim. It was my decision to dope. I can assure you, I have never told by a boss to dope, but I have also never experienced a rider being asked why he suddenly became so fast," he said.

"From the bosses you only hear, 'We don't want any doping cases.' But what they really mean is something else."

Whatever though. He's going to keep the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars he's earned over the years even if he goes on VS tonight and admits to having hyper-charged himself w/ transfused blood whilst on Gerolsteiner and only refined the practice, and not rejected it, during the years that followed. And if you consider that one fact, that the majority of the Tour-contending dopers who've either won a GT or placed on the podium with the aid of doping weren't sanctioned in such a way as to either lose the fortunes they'd amassed or see their earning potential completely eliminated, well, FL's being so ****ed off becomes more understandable (even if he brought a lot on himself by rolling dice and contesting the initial allegation rather than hanging onto the money he had and trying to come back two years later a la Basso or [insert name of doped star here].

Of course, I could be totally wrong and you can reject everything I just said. Cheers.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Levi's Second Blood Bag Kicked In!

The blood didn't help him on yesterday's rainy descent into Aspen yesterday, but it sure gave him a boost today up Vail pass for the 10 mile time trial. 38 year old Levi beat 23 year old former race leader Tejay V.G. by nearly a minute!

Go Team Radio Shack! Lance's legacy lives on!

joe_papp said:
And if you consider that one fact, that the majority of the Tour-contending dopers who've either won a GT or placed on the podium with the aid of doping weren't sanctioned in such a way as to either lose the fortunes they'd amassed or see their earning potential completely eliminated, well, FL's being so ****ed off becomes more understandable (even if he brought a lot on himself by rolling dice and contesting the initial allegation rather than hanging onto the money he had and trying to come back two years later a la Basso or [insert name of doped star here].

I think Floyd's goose was cooked regardless of the track he took, simply because he was the very first Tour winner to have been stripped of his title.

That in and of itself was so outrageous and, in the eyes of many in the Tour organization, so unacceptable that he was never going to be let back in.

He should have saved his money, though. At least he would have had something to fall back on.

TRENDING THREADS