• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bryneel about contador

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I read this exclusive interview with Johan Bryneel on a Dutch newssite
I translated it.
It´s a column written by Johan Bryneel.
And a dutch journalist who went to his villa in Madrid.
Only some quotes. (cuz you have to buy the whole magazine to read the whole interview)

This is what Bryneel said:

´Contador thinks that he has won the tour on his one, that´s absolutely not true. Maybe he could have won it alone, but not that easy and comfortable.

´he opereates on his one with his brother Fran (who is also his manager),
his personal mechanic and his press attache. I regret this. It´s a pity´

´Contador is a hero in Spain, what do I say, a God!
And Suddenly he sees all those zero´s after his name, and that´s the big
problem. You can earn a lot of money as a cyclist.
But ussualy it goes step by step, each year an improved contract.
He was a little boy with a smal contract, and in one season he became the highest paid cyclist in the world!'

'Then it's very hard to keep your feet on the ground!'

So he thinks El Pistolero is getting arrogant?

From what i've seen and heard about Contador's actions, he seems like a very grounded and down to earth type of guy. ie. Taking time to go to the UK bike show, not bitching back about LA during the Tour.

He does not seem (to me) to be the type of guy who is gonna get a swollen head.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
It appears the Hog is still bitter.

One of the few good things about the raise of Contador is that he has enable everyone to see how petty and childish Armstrong and The Hog are.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero is rumoured to be approaching 4 million Euro a season. I think that figure is wrong. Cadel is rumoured to be on the equivalent of Aus$2 million, or a bit over 1 million euro, around 1.2 or 1.3. Contador's contract with Astana alone (closer to 2 million euro) would not cover what the South Australian government and RCS paid LA. He pocketed a cool 2.6 million Euro, besides the winnings from the TdF (he has a recorded history of taking most and cutting whoever he wants out, he doesn't share) and whatever the Irish gave LA.

Contador arrogant and elevated after being given a raise? Not as much as Lance. Bruyneel is just projecting...the mental games have started up again. Here I was thinking it had become quiet. Astana should not have let Johan out of his contract and made the ****** wallow in his own mess for 2010. Funny how the little boy can outride his entire outfit Shack outfit for 2010. I wonder how much Lance's contract went up by after 1999? Step by step in synchronised formation with his ego. Johan is still a stooge and LA's puppet and no1 groupie. But good for him speaking up. It'll give Liggett something to rave about next year.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It appears the Hog is still bitter.

One of the few good things about the raise of Contador is that he has enable everyone to see how petty and childish Armstrong and The Hog are.

+1
The Tour was an eye opener

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Bruyneel doesn't know in which country he lives. Contador is not a hero in Spain. Contador may be a hero to cycling fans, but I haven't heard women in the supermarket talking about Contador the way it used to be 15 years ago with Indurain.

One can say that an athlete becomes a hero (or a God in Bruyneel's words) when his popularity and recognision goes well beyond his sport. Contador has not achieved (yet) the kind of recognision that Indurain had in its time. That award goes today to Rafa Nadal.

Galic Ho said:
El Pistolero is rumoured to be approaching 4 million Euro a season. I think that figure is wrong. Cadel is rumoured to be on the equivalent of Aus$2 million, or a bit over 1 million euro, around 1.2 or 1.3. Contador's contract with Astana alone (closer to 2 million euro) would not cover what the South Australian government and RCS paid LA. He pocketed a cool 2.6 million Euro, besides the winnings from the TdF (he has a recorded history of taking most and cutting whoever he wants out, he doesn't share) and whatever the Irish gave LA.

Contador arrogant and elevated after being given a raise? Not as much as Lance. Bruyneel is just projecting...the mental games have started up again. Here I was thinking it had become quiet. Astana should not have let Johan out of his contract and made the ****** wallow in his own mess for 2010. Funny how the little boy can outride his entire outfit Shack outfit for 2010. I wonder how much Lance's contract went up by after 1999? Step by step in synchronised formation with his ego. Johan is still a stooge and LA's puppet and no1 groupie. But good for him speaking up. It'll give Liggett something to rave about next year.

Anybody that doesn't fawn and kneel to kiss the collective rings of Bruyneel and his group is obviously tainted or childish or something, at least in Bruyneel's eyes. RadioSlack has no stars that can really contest the TdF, not in 2010 or after. Lance the 40 yr old, regardless of his past, will not be a serious threat to Contador and they don't like it that Contador essentially told them to shove it after the 2009 TdF.

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
icefire said:
Bruyneel doesn't know in which country he lives. Contador is not a hero in Spain. Contador may be a hero to cycling fans, but I haven't heard women in the supermarket talking about Contador the way it used to be 15 years ago with Indurain.

One can say that an athlete becomes a hero (or a God in Bruyneel's words) when his popularity and recognision goes well beyond his sport. Contador has not achieved (yet) the kind of recognision that Indurain had in its time. That award goes today to Rafa Nadal.

I don´t know where you live, but I live in spain.
And yes contador is very loved here, same as alonso, raul, pedrosa, casillas,
you know etc. etc.

Yes rafa Nadal is loved too.
But don´t forget the criticism he got.
And I never heard that criticims about contador.

I haven't heard women in the supermarket talking about Contador the way it used to be 15 years ago with Indurain.
hahhahaha, OMG
You must be old then, aren´t you?
Yes 15 years ago spain has never ever seen anything like that, so indurain was a hero ofcourse. And still is.
But contador is of another dimension. Generation!

And yes I have never seen women in the supermarket talk about contador too. (strange place to talk, actually)

But have you ever seen his fangirls then?

Bryneel lives in Madrid, so he saw it with his one eyes, i guess
why would he lie or exxagarate it?
And come on bryneel is a badass, the only thing he wants to say is 'Contador is nothing in Spain, nobody cares about him!'
But yeah it's otherwise, so he can't!

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
rank amateurs

Bruyneel and Armstrong perform bitterness and pettiness at the World Class level.
It would be unfair to compare it to the bitterness and pettiness seen here on the forum

Big difference between Professionals and amateurs lol!

Dope Rides Again
hope.jpg

ratatata said:
Contador is goin to destroy them next year !! Can't wait :cool:

My guess is AC is really focused on Andy Schleck at next year's TdF. He has the potential to get much better, whereas we all know what we are going to get from Bruyneel and the Geriatric Shack--going to talk a big game, but ultimately not have the kick to stay with the likes of Andy or Alberto.

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
DavidVilla7 said:
I don´t know where you live, but I live in spain.
And yes contador is very loved here, same as alonso, raul, pedrosa, casillas,
you know etc. etc.

Yes rafa Nadal is loved too.
But don´t forget the criticism he got.
And I never heard that criticims about contador.

I haven't heard women in the supermarket talking about Contador the way it used to be 15 years ago with Indurain.
hahhahaha, OMG
You must be old then, aren´t you?
Yes 15 years ago spain has never ever seen anything like that, so indurain was a hero ofcourse. And still is.
But contador is of another dimension. Generation!

And yes I have never seen women in the supermarket talk about contador too. (strange place to talk, actually)

But have you ever seen his fangirls then?

Bryneel lives in Madrid, so he saw it with his one eyes, i guess
why would he lie or exxagarate it?
And come on bryneel is a badass, the only thing he wants to say is 'Contador is nothing in Spain, nobody cares about him!'
But yeah it's otherwise, so he can't!

Oh yeah Contador is very loved in Spain...by cycling fans. So, there isn't the same proportion as Nadal or, lately, Alonso. It isn't the same even comparing with Indurain. Back in the 90s, everyone in Spain knew Indurain, but I can't say the same about AC. Bruyneel's obviously exxagerating, and I suppose that it is all part of thier mental game, because the only field where Armstrong is stronger than Contador, imo, is mentally.

It's not like nobody cares about him, but he's not the country's superstar, as he'd be if he had born in Belgium instead of Spain.

And Contador isn't arrogant, quite on the contrary. But I think that this affair has affected him in a negative fashion. He's changed...for worse.

DavidVilla7 said:
´he opereates on his one with his brother Fran (who is also his manager),
his personal mechanic and his press attache. I regret this. It´s a pity´

Translation: It's a pity that Contador has his own mechanic. I planned to use the team mechanic to sabotage his bike, but with his brother around all the time it spoiled my plan. As a last resort we tried to make Contador late for the Annecy time trial by taking all the team cars, but we were foiled again by his brother. If we could just get rid of those looking after Contador's best interests then--hey, you would not know where I can score some blow around here, would you?

BroDeal said:
Translation: It's a pity that Contador has his own mechanic. I planned to use the team mechanic to sabotage his bike, but with his brother around all the time it spoiled my plan. As a last resort we tried to make Contador late for the Annecy time trial by taking all the team cars, but we were foiled again by his brother. If we could just get rid of those looking after Contador's best interests then--hey, you would not know where I can score some blow around here, would you?

I felt the same way about it when I read it. "It was too bad for him that he has a couple of friends and family, or we could have really had some fun tormenting him...."

It's very tough to get the gist of someone's tone just reading words on a screen. Add to that the translation factor and I can only hope that JB was misconstrued. He really ought to do himself a favor and shut up. Too much room to misinterpret. (Or accurately interpret or confirm negative suspicion???)

I guess he feels he has too much to lose by allowing any thought that he (JB) isn't 'all that' as it may affect revenues adversely. So he tries to lift up his management of the team by making AC look somewhat less dominating.

Whatever. I hope AC can continue to win not just the tdf but whatever major races he sets his sights on. I hope 2010 will be as exciting as all the chatter would indicate.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Contador just young and a little clueless.

Johan is a loyal Armstrong guy so you know where he's going to come down between the two. And I agree that the mind games have begun -- they'll need every game they've got to beat Contador if he riders for Caisse.

But I also think Bruyneel is annoyed that Alberto hasn't given him enough credit for building his career and making the best use of Alberto's talent. But hey, Contador is young and a superstar, things get warped and he's annoyed Johan didn't support him more instead of Lance.

For me, Alberto is just young, period. On the plus side, he handled the incredible stress of the tour with Armstrong and still won. That says plenty about his mental strength and confidence. A lot of guys would have cracked. But he still has to mature and having his brother do everything is questionable and maybe unprofessional. We'll see.

He's incredibly lucky Astana screwed their paperwork up so badly that he's free to go. That was a negative sign -- he didn't do much to decide his own fate even as Lance and Bruyneel stripped his car of parts. But Lance had plenty of luck in the tour. Maybe Alberto is not only great but lucky, too.

Twisted Spoke
http://walshworld.wordpress.com/

BroDeal said:

In a recent interview (I believe is Cycle Sport) Alberto said that his bike/Equipment was sabotaged during the Training Camps-Specially in Tenerife, along with Andrea's, so LA & Co. would always be riding on front of the group, for the media. after that, he realized the immediate necessity to get his own crew, and begin to distance himself from what was a clear intention to launch secretly LA as the sole leader of the team.
Now reading what JB said about AC just confirms even more what has been rumored about the two of them (LA & JB) being in complicity to fvck him over during the Tour.

What LA & JB haven't realized yet is the more bashing they're doing on AC, the dirtier they look to the world & makes AC's victory glowing even more

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Omerta in action

I think Bruyneel and Lance were distancing themselves from Alberto
because they both knew Alberto was doing naughty things:(

When Alberto inevitable gets implicated again over naughty things,
Bruyneel and Lance can plead ignorance. Omerta baby!

Walshworld said:
But I also think Bruyneel is annoyed that Alberto hasn't given him enough credit for building his career and making the best use of Alberto's talent. But hey, Contador is young and a superstar, things get warped and he's annoyed Johan didn't support him more instead of Lance.

For me, Alberto is just young, period. On the plus side, he handled the incredible stress of the tour with Armstrong and still won. That says plenty about his mental strength and confidence. A lot of guys would have cracked. But he still has to mature and having his brother do everything is questionable and maybe unprofessional. We'll see.

Twisted Spoke
http://walshworld.wordpress.com/

Back in the last years of Discovery-I recall that was Alberto Contador who brought back success to Bruyneel, when he won Paris-Niza & the Tour. After the sponsors pulled out and they moved to Astana, was Contador again who gave the best years to the team-specially in 08 when he won almost every race he was in, including the Giro-Vuelta GT.
I'm positive Bruyneel has just received enough credit from AC & nobody wouldn't take away that he's part his success, but to come bitter and say sh!t like that with straight face-after the nasty plot he & LA put together to fvck AC's chances in the tour, it's just no incentive to speak highly about your ex-DS-even though- AC has shown great professionalism in that matter, in which he's said many times that he "understands the deep bond between them, and how loyal they're to each others interests" but he couldn't tolerate the secrecy, the games, and the lack of sincerity when LA was coming back.

Having his brother as a manager is "Immature and unprofessional"?
wow-then you're calling "Immature & Unprofessional" a huge amount of successful athletes around the world who have included family members into their business- so they don't get fvcked/exploited by their managers......

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Contador is a hero in Spain, what do I say, a God!

Bruyneel exagerates. I've explained my opinion on this in my first post. Cogombre has got my point perfectly.

And Suddenly he sees all those zero´s after his name, and that´s the big problem. You can earn a lot of money as a cyclist.
But ussualy it goes step by step, each year an improved contract.
He was a little boy with a smal contract, and in one season he became the highest paid cyclist in the world!'

This is just the consequence of the media impact of TdF compared to other races and sponsors betting he will win TdF again.

'Then it's very hard to keep your feet on the ground!'

I think the guy has his feet on the ground. All he wants is unconditional support from his team. He has credit for it.

Regarding the mental game, after the two Tours he won this year (on the road and in the hotel) he's not a single notch below his opponents. If it's true that he took his own mechanics to the TdF because he knew that his bike would be sabotaged, he's a good strategist as well.

However, there are two areas where AC still has a lot to learn from Bruyneel and Armstrong: public speaking and double talk. Seriously. When he speaks in public he lacks the assertivity and level of command that one can expect from a leader. Maybe is his high pitched voice :D

TRENDING THREADS