• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Evans win this giro?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Can Evans win this giro?

• I dont care, I'm done with this giro.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Keldermerckx "I don't watch Evans, besides he got most of his gap because of a crash anyway"

ohhhhhh :eek:

Not wise to say that about a Tour de France champion, World Champion, multiple stage race winner with multiple GT podiums.

Arrogant little ****. What has he won?

auscyclefan94 said:
Not wise to say that about a Tour de France champion, World Champion, multiple stage race winner with multiple GT podiums.

Arrogant little ****. What has he won?

What was the context of the question that Kelderman was responding? Most of Evans' lead is a result of time gained from the crash but of course also due to his positioning in the peloton (at or very near the front) at the time of the crash and his years of experience.

Netserk said:
Uran did something...

Pretty much nothing. I expected both of them to lay it on the line, they've got a rest day today and basically the next two days, unless there are winds on stage eleven. Very disappointing.
Dazed and Confused said:
For me, not enough legs and confidence.

Or worrying they might blow up and lose the thing. Problem is if Evans sticks a minute plus on them that attitude is only going to increase. Save third (or whatever), rather than win first.

Dazed and Confused said:
yep, better to push out the effort. There are more days ahead. Waiting game.

Possibly. But the longer you leave it the bigger the effort that is required when you do attack.

And realistically, if you can't take time and recover with basically two rest days afterwards, you're going to struggle to do it with multiple mountains.

Much better to chip away at that lead as often as possible, and it was a big opportunity.

King Boonen said:
Possibly. But the longer you leave it the bigger the effort that is required when you do attack.

And realistically, if you can't take time and recover with basically two rest days afterwards, you're going to struggle to do it with multiple mountains.

Much better to chip away at that lead as often as possible, and it was a big opportunity.

Agree, but I doubt thats the thinking of the current peloton. Avoid losing more time and hope for something to happen later strikes me as the plan most follows. Unfortunately.

I'm surprised people keep bringing up last year's Giro and expecting to see the same again. I'd expect Evans to do better than last year for the following reasons
- this year he's based his year around this race, last year he didn't
- BMC seem to have upped their game considerably this season. They almost won the TTT without Phinney and look at the way Morabito is riding. I always think the TTT is a very good indicator of what is to come. Mostly, teams with a genuine challenger do very well or a lot better than expected
- He has a head start without really doing much
- He hasn't crashed. That was probably true last year also but a lot of his rivals have, and crashes are never good news.

Against is the fact that he's a year closer to retirement. If there is anyone in the shape Nibali was in last year then he still won't be good enough - too much improvement to find. The TT will tell all because it generally does with Evans

willbick said:
I really cant see evans staying in touch up the zoncalan. Looks tailor made for Pozzovivo

Evans may not stay in touch on Zoncolan but if he has enough lead it will not matter. He can minimize his losses if he is strong then. Yes I know its a big if at this point in time :)

Evans will be stronger than last year and then he did pretty well for somebody with limited prep.

Cookster15 said:
Evans will be stronger than last year and then he did pretty well for somebody with limited prep.

Cos the giro was essentially a 1 week race last year. All the multi mountain stages were reduced to 5k mtfs

If the snow holds off this year, it's going to be a totally different ball game. The zonc on it's own, the most difficult climb in world cycling average gradient steeper than the maximum gradient for most tdf hors category climbs, is harder than the entire 2013 giro put together. The Val martelo stage likewise (if they don't softpedal it) and Evans will need a significant improvement on his mountain tt performance from last year if he doesnt want to lose the majority of his advantage on that stage alone.

The Hitch said:
Cos the giro was essentially a 1 week race last year. All the multi mountain stages were reduced to 5k mtfs

If the snow holds off this year, it's going to be a totally different ball game. The zonc on it's own, the most difficult climb in world cycling average gradient steeper than the maximum gradient for most tdf hors category climbs, is harder than the entire 2013 giro put together. The Val martelo stage likewise (if they don't softpedal it) and Evans will need a significant improvement on his mountain tt performance from last year if he doesnt want to lose the majority of his advantage on that stage alone.

At Trentino he said he felt far better than on the same MT climb in last years Giro. Agree somewhat with your first part but again Evans 2014 since Trentino looks a lot better than Evans 2013 - no matter what the weather did or does.

The other thing about last year you underestimate is how cold weather affects the riders. In the cold your muscles deplete glycogen reserves much faster. So yes maybe less climbing last year but not necessarily easier.

The Hitch said:
The Val martelo stage likewise (if they don't softpedal it) and Evans will need a significant improvement on his mountain tt performance from last year if he doesnt want to lose the majority of his advantage on that stage alone.

yes, I think it's out of question whether he can defend those two minutes (or maybe 3 after the timetrial) over an in-form Quintana. In case Quintana's injury turns out to be a real problem it could be a different story though. The "oh, I have the chance to podium a grand tour - I better try not to jeopardize it by an attack" attitude most riders are likely to show could play into his hands

TRENDING THREADS