• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jelantik said:
Looks like a columbian version of Andy :D In different ways, but both are a wasted talent.

ColombiaNOTColumbia.jpg

The pictures from La Ronca in "La Doble a Barroso" (Posted on June 5 or 6 in Facebook) when he used that green kit with Aqua & Sapone shorts.

If you ask me for Sofia Vergara, I do prefer those photos from 1990 or so when she was in a Pepsi commercial :eek:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
slosada said:
The pictures from La Ronca in "La Doble a Barroso" (Posted on June 5 or 6 in Facebook) when he used that green kit with Aqua & Sapone shorts.

If you ask me for Sofia Vergara, I do prefer those photos from 1990 or so when she was in a Pepsi commercial :eek:

eyy,good times!:D:D

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:

Gentleman,
Please pardon my english spelling. English is my second language. Not everyone in this forum speak english as their first language. I'm sure you can answer my post without pounding on my english spelling mistake, don't you think? There I said it. I'm not ashamed to admit that I misspell it. So if you are colombian, my apology. But you guys don't need to beat the drum and making fun of my english misspell. Don't worry, I got the joke (even though it's not funny)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
It's not really making fun of your English Jelantik, the same type thing would have been posted if it was somebody else that didn't say Colombia right. I've seen "it's Colombia, not Columbia" pictures posted many many teams for a variety of different posters.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
unbelievable ag2r would be this stupid again to let him go back to colombia. he's probably 15 kg overweight and hasn't touched his bike in 2 months :eek:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
actually, Rujano is the best comparison yet to Betancur- both full of talent but even more full of excuses & BS...

betancurt never gives any excuses or anything. he doesn't say anything in fact, but prefers to sit in jardin antioquia, drinking beer and betting on coc fights every day. just look up a photo of jardin and you get the picture

Jelantik said:
Gentleman,
Please pardon my english spelling. English is my second language. Not everyone in this forum speak english as their first language. I'm sure you can answer my post without pounding on my english spelling mistake, don't you think? There I said it. I'm not ashamed to admit that I misspell it. So if you are colombian, my apology. But you guys don't need to beat the drum and making fun of my english misspell. Don't worry, I got the joke (even though it's not funny)

Don't worry Jelantik. Just having some fun.:)

English is my second language also and I make horrible mistakes from time to time.

Afrank said:
It's not really making fun of your English Jelantik, the same type thing would have been posted if it was somebody else that didn't say Colombia right. I've seen "it's Colombia, not Columbia" pictures posted many many teams for a variety of different posters.

it doesn't even have anything to do with English. It's Colombia in every language...

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
betancurt never gives any excuses or anything. he doesn't say anything in fact, but prefers to sit in jardin antioquia, drinking beer and betting on coc fights every day. just look up a photo of jardin and you get the picture

So the comparison would be Andy then?

Ryo Hazuki said:
unbelievable ag2r would be this stupid again to let him go back to colombia. he's probably 15 kg overweight and hasn't touched his bike in 2 months :eek:

Well, that's sad to hear, but thanks for the insider info. I wonder if we'll see him taking the line with an amateur team at some South American race next year as Rujano apparently did back in January. Such a shame.

Ryo Hazuki said:

well...... those are in fact EXCUSES:rolleyes:

I mean- DS calls you up to get your act together & instead of taking the plane where you're suppose to be, you rather come up with the EXCUSE of being tired & not willing to pay the tickets, as a result of................drinking beer with friends & betting on cockfighting?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:

Afrank said:

I have said, my apology to misspell it. But the point is, we don't need to go discuss it much further by posting pictures to correct it. Everyone knows it's a misspell. This is a cycling forum and not a bashing mockery forum. And you are right. It's not about english.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
well...... those are in fact EXCUSES:rolleyes:

I mean- DS calls you up to get your act together & instead of taking the plane where you're suppose to be, you rather come up with the EXCUSE of being tired & not willing to pay the tickets, as a result of................drinking beer with friends & betting on cockfighting?

where did he say those things?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Don't worry Jelantik. Just having some fun.:)

English is my second language also and I make horrible mistakes from time to time.

thanks dude :) Now, I know you aren't some kind of a jerk. I appreciate your comment back to me above. It's all good.

Ryo Hazuki said:
where did he say those things?

The CyclingNews article about the situation yesterday included this quote:

When contacted by directeur sportif Laurent Biondi, Betancur reportedly said that he was tired and would not line up at the Tour de Suisse (June 14-22) as originally planned.

It also said that Betancur's agent, one Giuseppe Acquadro, declined to comment on his rider's status but that Betancur would release an "explanatory statement" later in the day. If that statement was released, I haven't seen any reporting on it.

christopherrowe said:
It also said that Betancur's agent, one Giuseppe Acquadro...

Ah, I see from trying to find more about this that this guy is a big deal cycling agent, especially of up-and-coming young riders. He was Rujano's agent!

Can't find a business website that might have press releases from clients though, and he's not one for social media (hasn't updated his twitter feed in over two years, doesn't he know that's where official cycling communications come from these days? ;) )

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Eshnar said:
it doesn't even have anything to do with English. It's Colombia in every language...

It isn't. It's Kolumbia in my language and many other languages have got it's unique spelling. In many of them the first part is Kolu so that must be one of the reasons why people spell it wrong. Not all of us are native or advanced english speakers either. The people who pick on this could be more tolerant and not resort to unnecessary sarcasm so often.

There are quite a few news articles in several languages about "l'affaire Betancur" online now, but they're all more or less recycling the same AFP and Cycling Weekly reports from yesterday as far as I can tell, including the English-language piece that just went up at Velonews in the last hour.

Not to sound like a stuck record, but it seems obvious that AG2R needs to put this behind them for now, at least in terms of preparation for upcoming races. If what Ryo has reported about the young man being thirty-odd pounds over weight and having been off the bike for two months is true, then he's obviously not going to take the line in Leeds in July, much less in Bellinzona on Saturday, VISA issues or no.

I wonder if they'll move Samuel Dumoulin over from their Route du Sud squad to take his place in Switzerland.

TRENDING THREADS