• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
i do not really know if he is really training every day.
if you look at his tweets , there is no one on the bike. he is always with his wife and child , dressed very elegant , going out for some celebration.
the same for fabio duarte , who was having a nice vacation in italy in mid December..
if you look at rigo tweets, he is always on the bike training in the oriente antioqueno with other pros.

look for the difference...

anyway, in few weeks in san luis we will know the real condition of bananito.
i am afraid that we will have no pleasant surprise

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
proffz said:
if you look at his tweets , there is no one on the bike. he is always with his wife and child , dressed very elegant , going out for some celebration.
the same for fabio duarte , who was having a nice vacation in italy in mid December..
if you look at rigo tweets, he is always on the bike training in the oriente antioqueno with other pros.

There's always the chance that he doesn't feel training is "tweet-worthy."

Irregardless, I wouldn't get my hopes up. He's a bit of an enigma as to what kind of form he'll show up in.

Afrank said:
proffz said:

There's always the chance that he doesn't feel training is "tweet-worthy."

Irregardless, I wouldn't get my hopes up. He's a bit of an enigma as to what kind of form he'll show up in.
Sadly, it seems he's old school and needs to race into form. In this day and age you can't get away with it. If I was Unzue I'd send Betancur to TDU, IMHO he can win that race and give the team a good head start in the WT rankings for the Ardennes.

A good Falls Creek training camp with Sutherland is what he needs over the New Years period. The pros who skip all the crits etc, and focus on getting the kms in are usually the ones who get off to a good start to the year.

Maybe he struggles with depression? If he has got these off-days / weeks and is basically living on his sofa while eating pizza each day it would sadly enough explain much. Also why he denies contact with anyone sometimes.

It all started in the summer of 2013 and maybe he just can't handle it anymore.

Because if it was only laziness he would be able to decide himself whether to be lazy or not.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Maybe he struggles with depression? If he has got these off-days / weeks and is basically living on his sofa while eating pizza each day it would sadly enough explain much. Also why he denies contact with anyone sometimes.

Because if it was only laziness he would be able to decide himself whether to be lazy or not.
Quite possible. It would explain a lot, he's inconsistent like riders who have had those problems in the past. Betancur does seem to have a good family around him though.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
staubsauger said:

Quite possible. It would explain a lot, he's inconsistent like riders who have had those problems in the past. Betancur does seem to have a good family around him though.

please stop trying to guess reason for beta's bad attitude.
it is just about work ethic and being lazy or motivated
he has not been motivated enough in the past for long periods.
we wil see if he has recuperated motivation or not . it seems unlikely up to know, but maybe we are all wrong and he will tear the race apart in san luis.
only people living in antioquia close to him know the truth now.
but it seems that these people and his friends are protecting bananito in any case,in reality not doing anything good for him-

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Its already starting. :eek: I had a look in my crystal ball and saw this tweet float by.

cc6a8601a6.png

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

pink_jersey said:
Jancouver said:
Damn, I was thinking he would get in a better shape for the new season/team. What was I thinking to include this sumo wrestler in my CQ team? I'm sure 99% CQ teams has this chunky hog too ... :eek:

r_carlos_betancur_670.jpg

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's possible that he has some thyroid problems...For a person like him who probably rides he's bike 2-3 hours average per 365 days he doesn't look good. Okay, it's offseason but he looks like having more than 20-25% fat on his body. Look at his canker. For a healty who practice sport is...Nevermind, I said this because I also have the some problem. Even if I don't have many kilos(1.80 and 76-77kg) I look a little bulky and I find it very hard to burn fat and put muscle, even if I don't eat many sugar aliments. Betancur looks like me and if he has this problem that's why he get's in shape so difficult. I'm pretty sure that if you took his t-shirt away you' ll not see abs and pecks.

I once had a thyroid problem,gained weight and feeling lethargic. I was having blood test's nearly every week. I kept a diary of my food and in the end it turned out to be the effects of leafy food , rocket, lettuce etc . I used to eat a lot of them . Soon as I stopped my levels went back to normal. Unless he really is eating very badly or he's not riding as much as he should be he should not be this tubby. He's a tubster.

ray j willings said:
pink_jersey said:
Jancouver said:
Damn, I was thinking he would get in a better shape for the new season/team. What was I thinking to include this sumo wrestler in my CQ team? I'm sure 99% CQ teams has this chunky hog too ... :eek:

r_carlos_betancur_670.jpg

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's possible that he has some thyroid problems...For a person like him who probably rides he's bike 2-3 hours average per 365 days he doesn't look good. Okay, it's offseason but he looks like having more than 20-25% fat on his body. Look at his canker. For a healty who practice sport is...Nevermind, I said this because I also have the some problem. Even if I don't have many kilos(1.80 and 76-77kg) I look a little bulky and I find it very hard to burn fat and put muscle, even if I don't eat many sugar aliments. Betancur looks like me and if he has this problem that's why he get's in shape so difficult. I'm pretty sure that if you took his t-shirt away you' ll not see abs and pecks.

I once had a thyroid problem,gained weight and feeling lethargic. I was having blood test's nearly every week. I kept a diary of my food and in the end it turned out to be the effects of leafy food , rocket, lettuce etc . I used to eat a lot of them . Soon as I stopped my levels went back to normal. Unless he really is eating very badly or he's not riding as much as he should be he should not be this tubby. He's a tubster.

I also have the same problem. For example, I don't eat chocolate, junky food for 2 weeks but if I taste them, I can't stop :)) That's the effect of hyperthyroid..Also, the anxiety is a secondary effect of this disease.

How do you say "Carlos Betancur" in English? Johnny Manziel? Or Ryan Leaf? Mac Fly? What a waste...

Slacker...loser...I have no sympathy for that, no respect, nothing. He has a gift that we (I know I) would love to have. And that's what he's doing with it. Another car wreck. I can't believe that he still has some sort of following.

His thread will soon die down...as my signature states, I don't believe in miracles.