• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

BigMac said:
jaylew said:
BigMac said:
rote_laterne said:
Still waiting for him to prove AG2R was wrong ..

What do you mean prove AG2R wrong? He's only got himself to blame for them parting ways.

Of course. But I'm pretty sure rote_laterne is putting himself in Carlos' mind :)

Now that I read again it can have even another meaning. Maybe rote meant they're still waiting for him to do anything decent at all, while he agrees with AG2R. Don't know, was too quick to read. Sorry. :)

You're right. I did hope he would find motivation again changing teams, being in a spanish speaking environment with other Colombians and to show everybody, especially AG2R how good he can be.
But I totally agree with AG2R decision to part ways.
BTW I'm female.

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
A few days ago an interview with Eusebio Unzue was published in which he also talked about Carlos Betancur. He stated that Betancur should come to Pamplona in the beginning of march and the plan is to slowly build up some kind of form in the next two to three months. He also said that Betancur himself holds the keys to his career which sounds like a cliché but is very true in his case.
I don't know how much to read into this. Obviously the original plan of Movistar was to bring him over earlier.

However my Spanish is too bad to get the little details of the interview; maybe someone else can help out: http://www.ciclo21.com/en-casa-de-unzue-i/

Q: Ya que menciona a Betancur, dígame por qué le fichó y cómo piensa recuperarle si es que aún es posible.

Now that you mention Betancur, tell me why you brought him & how will he be rescued -if it is yet possible..

A: No es fácil resumir la situación. Primero es incuestionable su calidad como corredor que ya nos ha demostrado en AG2R, pero desgraciadamente sin continuidad. Es un chaval que no ha sido capaz de mantener el equilibrio que el ciclismo profesional te exige a un gran nivel. No ha sido capaz de tener esa fuerza de voluntad para entrenar, cuidarse y descansar que es el ADN del ciclismo. Y eso le cuesta. Ha querido, pero no ha podido. Me resultaba triste que alguien de su calidad se perdiera y cuando este año Carlos me dijo que quería venir aquí no le pude decir que no. Ni ha sido petición de Nairo ni de su representante. Ha sido una decisión personal y deportiva mía. Hay corredores que les hace ilusión correr con Alejandro y Carlos es uno de ellos. Ya le dije que él es el que tiene la solución, que pondríamos todo lo necesario para ayudarle y consiga sus objetivos que son los nuestros. Y en ello estamos de que progresivamente vaya aceptando los planes de trabajo y creo espero verlo en dos o tres meses a buen nivel. En marzo vendrá a Pamplona a vivir con su familia y a partir de ahí iremos metiéndole en carreras y sobre la marcha buscándole objetivos.

I don't think is easy to synthesize the situation. FOA is unquestionable his qualities as a rider, since he has demonstrated them at AG2R, but unfortunately without continuity. He is a young man not being able to have the strength of will to train, take care of himself and rest properly-those are key parts of the cycling DNA. It costs him a lot to do so- he really wants to, be hasn't been able. It saddens me that someone of his qualities could be lost, so when Carlos told me he wanted to come to the Team, I just couldn't say no. That decision was neither by Nairo nor his agent - it was mine alone-personally and sport wise. There are riders out there that are motivated by riding along with Valverde and Carlos is one of them. I already told him that only but he alone is the solution, that we'll make available everything necessary to help him out in order to achieve his goals-which are ours as well. So here we are making him work progressively with his planned schedule and I hope and wish to see him with in two or three months in a good level. In March he'll arrive to Pamplona with his family and from there we'll be incorporate him in races and along them setting him goals.

Looks to me like Carlos needs some sort of therapy...He has the talent and he says he wants it and wants to cycle at the highest level but there is something holding him back and he is sabotaging himself

I have seen people do this in other walks of life and it is psychological ..a kind of fear and feeling of unworthiness

My satirical tweet might come true after all.

cc6a8601a6.png

Im gonna stick by it for real.

As spanish what Unzue said sound really bad, they have the challenge to make him train and be the good cyclist he is, but is just a challengue, without any risk. If things go well, perfect, if things go bad, no problem. Betancur asked to ride there and they just acepted, nothing to lose (I imagine they wasted little money) an much to gain if the plan work out, but they are not over Betancur with presure, not pressure, just the hope Betancur could get the rigt path.

Betancur was last year in the Giro, especially at the end, at a good level, with that I think Unzue will be happy, although they hope much more.

Max Rockatansky said:
The Cobo of Colombia. ;)

I was talking with Cobo last year in Vuelta a Burgos and he admitted sometimes he just disconect and go to the party, he didnt like really cycling.

A pity for both of them, becouse they are really talented, especially Cobo for 3 weeks, but Betancurs is still young and he has showed a very high level some races: Pais Vasco, Nice, Lieje, Giro,...he could be a Purito

And as well I know that Matxin was always as a pycologist for Cobo, in Movistar just they let it go...for that I am not very optimistic with Betancur, but who knows

Re:

Taxus4a said:
As spanish what Unzue said sound really bad, they have the challenge to make him train and be the good cyclist he is, but is just a challengue, without any risk. If things go well, perfect, if things go bad, no problem. Betancur asked to ride there and they just acepted, nothing to lose (I imagine they wasted little money) an much to gain if the plan work out, but they are not over Betancur with presure, not pressure, just the hope Betancur could get the rigt path.

Betancur was last year in the Giro, especially at the end, at a good level, with that I think Unzue will be happy, although they hope much more.

Abarca is quite powerful, no?
call the Colombian embassy in Madrid, get him a visa, and get him to Pamplona asap.
stop eating chicharrones at home in flipflops

hfer07 said:
Carols said:
Max Rockatansky said:
The Cobo of Colombia. ;)

Cobo may have been mentally weak but at least he was thin! :)

"The Bison" Thin? :confused:
I reckon he was stocky-athletic built like- but thin is pushing the envelope :D

Compared to Betancur he was an absolute stick of a human being :D

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/spains-juan-jose-cobo-of-geox-tmc-celebrates-on-the-podium-news-photo/124660145

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/445434219370640312/

Re:

DNP-Old said:
http://www.eltiempo.com/deportes/ciclismo/carlos-betancur-pone-la-cara-y-quiere-salir-de-su-mal-momento/16527210

He will travel to Europe on Saturday and will actually race for the first time this season in Milano SanRemo.

Milan San Remo is an ambitious way for anyone to start a season. Either he has actually been training in Colombia rather than drinking beer and eating deep fried plantain or alternatively Movistar are planning on racing the pounds off him in as short a time as possible.

I hope he does well. His raw talent has been known by many for a long time. So has his troubles.
Remember when Liquigas/Cannondale was in a legal battle with Acqua & Sapone over Betancur? He had agreed to debut in the World Tour with Liquigas only to change his mind and stay one more year with Acqua & Sapone. At that time, everyone blamed Liquigas for a verbal agreement vs written agreement dispute, but in retrospect, it was probably Carlos

I'm kinda surprised he decided to return to Europe.Hopefully this time will make it right and not waste his talent anymore.He should have been here already and get ready to start in Paris-Nice,but better late than never.

TRENDING THREADS