• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Cian Uijtdebroeks - From the wetlands to the top of cycling

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Unless the Angliru does mentally break him, a top 10 finish is almost certainly locked (Almeida is one tough mf and could still take back a few minutes, but there's really no one else lurking behind).

Not sure he can finish much higher than 9th, though. There is just the internal competition with Vlasov, which has been slightly overshadowed by the one within Jumbo, and potentially a Landismo implosion...

Unless the Angliru does mentally break him, a top 10 finish is almost certainly locked (Almeida is one tough mf and could still take back a few minutes, but there's really no one else lurking behind).

Not sure he can finish much higher than 9th, though. There is just the internal competition with Vlasov, which has been slightly overshadowed by the one within Jumbo, and potentially a Landismo implosion...
If he has the same legs as in the Pyrenees, I can imagine him finishing 6th in GC. Soler didn't seem that good yesterday and might completely break today. I think he's better than Vlasov, and definitely Landa.

Reactions: DoYouEvenRideBruh
Already looking forward to the Giro next year. Or he might go for a Ayuso season with focus on the Vuelta and some WT stage races
Its not impossible for him to outright win the Giro next year tbh. I have seen enough from him already, his motor is very, very good and his high mountain climbing is legit as well and thats the two single most important parameters for a GT winner.

Podium is always feasible in a race without top tier GC riders, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Our man has to improve quite a bit when it comes to TTs before he can really contend for the win on an average route, and frankly it wouldn't hurt if he could also sprint and descend somewhat better.

Cian's only 20 though, so the sky is the limit.

Podium is always feasible in a race without top tier GC riders, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Our man has to improve quite a bit when it comes to TTs before he can really contend for the win on an average route, and frankly it wouldn't hurt if he could also sprint and descend somewhat better.

Cian's only 20 though, so the sky is the limit.
IMHO his current achilles tendon is his bad descending!

Already looking forward to the Giro next year. Or he might go for a Ayuso season with focus on the Vuelta and some WT stage races
It depends it's also a bit based on the parcours and the opposition. With the focus of the biggest riders next year on the Tour (at least Roglic, Jonas, Remco and Pogi want to be there by their own statements) it could be that Bora takes Hindley to the Giro in the hope that the field there is not as stacked. The Tour could me then more a stage-hunting, a GC leader + a light sprint train approach + some german story tellers for the media. That could be interesting for Cian. Taking a shot at the tour with almost no pressure because no one thinks he can podium. So he can ease more in this role. Cian, two mountain domestiques, a mixture of Denz/Schachmann/Kämna for stage hunting, van Poppel, sprinter + some fillers...

I think that would be the best approach. I would choose to talk Vlasov more in this program of targeting one weeks more as in 22 & then be one of multiple leaders at the Vuelta. For the Giro you can then build a nice squad around Hindley with Sorbrero, Buchmann, Zwiehoff + whoever is then on the team (they only have 22 riders confirmed)

Reactions: Remy55
It depends it's also a bit based on the parcours and the opposition. With the focus of the biggest riders next year on the Tour (at least Roglic, Jonas, Remco and Pogi want to be there by their own statements) it could be that Bora takes Hindley to the Giro in the hope that the field there is not as stacked. The Tour could me then more a stage-hunting, a GC leader + a light sprint train approach + some german story tellers for the media. That could be interesting for Cian. Taking a shot at the tour with almost no pressure because no one thinks he can podium. So he can ease more in this role. Cian, two mountain domestiques, a mixture of Denz/Schachmann/Kämna for stage hunting, van Poppel, sprinter + some fillers...

I think that would be the best approach. I would choose to talk Vlasov more in this program of targeting one weeks more as in 22 & then be one of multiple leaders at the Vuelta. For the Giro you can then build a nice squad around Hindley with Sorbrero, Buchmann, Zwiehoff + whoever is then on the team (they only have 22 riders confirmed)
When Cian was asked about the TDF by the press he said that it came too early, and that Bora is easing him into GT's more slowly. Which makes sense, he's only 20 years old at the moment. So it's going to be the Giro, Vuelta or both.

Cian Uijtdebroeks angry with his team after Chrono des Nations: “It’s always something with the material at BORA”
“That it’s always something with the material at Bora,” Uijtdebroeks said. He still has a contract until the end of 2024, but was spotted on the transfer market last week. It was fake news, Uijtdebroeks is sentences to put off his contract. “Then I’ll see if Bora can offer me what I need in the Grand Tours. If not, I look forward to another team.”

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
Cian Uijtdebroeks angry with his team after Chrono des Nations: “It’s always something with the material at BORA”
“That it’s always something with the material at Bora,” Uijtdebroeks said. He still has a contract until the end of 2024, but was spotted on the transfer market last week. It was fake news, Uijtdebroeks is sentences to put off his contract. “Then I’ll see if Bora can offer me what I need in the Grand Tours. If not, I look forward to another team.”

I was very surprised that he even started Chrono des Nations since he hasn‘t been good at TTs during his pro career so far, I don‘t know what he expected to achieve.

Looks like the material is quite an easy scapegoat, the lack of improvement on his aerodynamics could be a valid point, though you would expect that to be affecting other riders at Bora as well. Vlasov and Kamna had some great TT's this season. Besides that, it looks like some youthful exuberance to make your point 3 times in one month.