• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cobo Talk Only

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Fergoose said:
Has anyone ever witnessed such a recovery?

You don't know if Cobo recovered or if Froome slowed. Froome put in a massive attack for a long time, it wouldn't be all that surprising if he paid the price for that and it was more of a case of Froome dropping back than Cobo coming forward.

webvan said:
Froom seemed pretty constant, Cobo literally stalled/cracked and then started pedalling again like he was on a "milk run" (i.e. climbing the Angliru).

That was certainly my take on it too. Almost going backwards one minute, then out of the saddle and sprinting across a 15%+ gradient the next.

luckyboy said:
I don't know why people are talking about Cobo's past history when both riders have been on teams who have folded due to doping scandals, and both teams were run by questionable figures.

Simply that we have seen absurd performances from Cobo in the past (i.e. 2008), whereas we haven't with his rival here. Plus Saunier Duval's cheats were far more high profile and involved in far more ludicrous performances than Barloworlds.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
EderShamir said:
At least Cobo is known to be a good climber. With some lesser results, but a good climber. Froome's performance is just nonsensical.

And obviously I prefer to see a Spanish rider winning over a Kenyan-turned-Brit. :)

Cobo in Pais Vasco 2007 is probably the most doped up performance of the decade. That says something.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
hrotha wrote that Cobo didn't know the climb. I'd trust him over Harmon and Keenan. :p

Cobo himself has stated on TV that he had only been there once before. He walked halfway to the climb to watch last year's stage at 3kms from the finish line.

Walkman said:
Indeed it does, considering this performance (see link below) also fit within the time frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z8qe7YWDOQ

Is there any video (youtube) of the stage that you are refering to?

Haha, I remember that, but the 50k was even better. Mühlegg made the other skiiers look like he's Usain Bolt starting in a marathon (but never slowing down).

sorry for the offtopic.

eta: btw. there's a fantastic quote in Mühlegg's wiki page, no idea if it's true, but I would guess it is:
Mühlegg im ZDF, auf die Frage ob er verbotene Mittel genommen habe: Ich warte die B-Probe ab [3]

Mühlegg in ZDF answering the question whether he had taken PED's: "I'll wait for the B-sample."

Walkman said:
Indeed it does, considering this performance (see link below) also fit within the time frame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z8qe7YWDOQ

Is there any video (youtube) of the stage that you are refering to?

Wow I know pretty much nothing about cross-country skiing but that performance is crazy.

He won the 1st and 5th stages..

Here's a bit of the 1st stage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2AW-MtiKVU

And the 5th - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ-OCb6xOv8

Doesn't seem that crazy. The video doesn't show the attack though.

El Pistolero said:
Yup, putting Contador on more than 2 minutes and Bernard Kohl, Cadel Evans and Ezequil Mosquera on more than 4 minutes.

This is kind of crazy! Did he set a record time going up that mountain?

spalco said:
There's a fantastic quote in Mühlegg's wiki page, no idea if it's true, but I would guess it is:

Mühlegg im ZDF, auf die Frage ob er verbotene Mittel genommen habe: Ich warte die B-Probe ab [3]

Mühlegg in ZDF answering the question whether he had taken PED's: "I'll wait for the B-sample."

Hahaha, that quote is, indeed, truly fantastic! :D

luckyboy said:
Wow I know pretty much nothing about cross-country skiing but that performance is crazy.

Someone in the "Doping in XC-skiing" thread said he thought it made Sella's ride during the 2008 Giro look like the average Moncoutié ride... Well doesn't that says it all!?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Kohl, Contador, Evans, Mosquera were all more than 6 minutes down in the final GC and way out of the top ten.

I don't think beating riders who aren't going all out for the win is much proof of doping.

Contador was definiterly trying to win on that stage ;)

Almost the entire field got put on more than 4 minutes lol. So duh they were down more than 6 minutes! The 13th finished 4 minutes and 5 seconds down!

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Still, I'm not sure how you would quantify 'most doped' ride. Santi Perez, Armstrong, Landis, Heras, Isidro Nozal, ET Basso, the Buffalo could all put in strong claims, along with countless others.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
Still, I'm not sure how you would quantify 'most doped' ride. Santi Perez, Armstrong, Landis, Heras, Isidro Nozal, ET Basso, the Buffalo could all put in strong claims, along with countless others.

He was a complete nobody before Cera entered cycling.

TRENDING THREADS