• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 260 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
We had some hundred thousand "leftover" AZ doses in Germany which could not be given to the ones they were meant for earlier (under 60s). So over 60s could apply for them on the internet (and my aunt did), and they were gone in a day. It's not that there is nobody asking for them.

By the way there is very slow progress, my grandfather who will turn 90 next week still isn't vaccinated, neither my other grandmother, neither my parents who are around 60 of course... After the Nazi time there were good reasons for going back to strong federal structures, so that dictatorship would be made harder... but it's not helpful in a pandemic. Neither is the fact that we are in a big election year with elections all around. Neither is the fact that Germany in general is an incredibly bureaucratic, inert country, especially when it comes to administration.
Fun fact: I had to sign a liability exclusion recently because my son is supposed to test himself twice a week in school when it starts again (after almost 4 months for him, but maybe it won't happen anyway...) So they aren't responsible in case he puts the swab to deep into his nose, I guess, lol.

Last edited:
The EU isn’t too popular in Australia right now. Reports saying that not approving AZ jabs amounts to effectively the same thing as blocking 3.1 million doses for export to Australia and Papua New Guinea.
Why not ask the UK or the USA?
They haven't exported any vaccine. The EU has exported close to 100 million doses. Moreover, AZ is 100 million doses short of their promises to the EU so far.

They haven't exported any vaccine. The EU has exported close to 100 million doses. Moreover, AZ is 100 million doses short of their promises to the EU so far.
Australia has four separate vaccine agreements including Pfizer from who they are supposed to be getting an extra 10 million doses. So far the rollout has been slow as has has happened in some other countries. The usual teething issues and bureaucratic hold ups.

Reactions: jmdirt and yaco

What Cookster doesn't post is that Australia is manufacturing the AZ vaccine with the first batches coming online on March 22 - Yes, there seem to have been hold ups in the importation of AZ but Australia is not solely reliant on imported cases of AZ.

Now denied by the government:

Such a fuss if athletes are vaccinated - So 12,000 doses out of 120 million is jumping the queue - Some in society need to get a grip.

There was so much hate on Dominika Cibulkova early January where she jumped the queue and get vaccine. Three months passed and now there are ton of free spots already and there seems to be voices around internet which celebrate the fact that people dont want vaccines.

People are stupid.

And by the way I am done with halting my life because of old people which refuse vaccines.

Reactions: jmdirt
Like I said, the Japanese people are already super pssed off with the gvt that the vaccine rollout has been taking so long and moving so slowly, they haven't even begun vaxxing the general population and the schedule is running well behind. I just heard today from someone who received a letter in their municipality saying coupons for the jab for over 65s will begin to arrive around the end of April, this was originally supposed to begin last month. At the moment there isn't the capacity to vax large amounts so this is going to trickle out very slowly, it won't likely ramp up until months on, the gvt have really been on the inept side with this - it's not going to happen in large numbers anytime soon - unlike some of the other countries who have been ramping up their jabs and have jabbed millions already. Numbers are rising here again, people are stressed with the whole situation (as they probably are worldwide). So to sum things up - the general population is more interested in inoculating the elderly and vulnerable before younger athletes esp since many don't even want the Olympics taking place. So I do understand why they have this point of view. This would be for Japanese athletes only, not international athletes - and would be good to help prevent potential superspreading during the Olympics, so I see both sides of the situation.

Like I said, the Japanese people are already super pssed off with the gvt that the vaccine rollout has been taking so long and moving so slowly, they haven't even begun vaxxing the general population and the schedule is running well behind. I just heard today from someone who received a letter in their municipality saying coupons for the jab for over 65s will begin to arrive around the end of April, this was originally supposed to begin last month. At the moment there isn't the capacity to vax large amounts so this is going to trickle out very slowly, it won't likely ramp up until months on, the gvt have really been on the inept side with this - it's not going to happen in large numbers anytime soon - unlike some of the other countries who have been ramping up their jabs and have jabbed millions already. Numbers are rising here again, people are stressed with the whole situation (as they probably are worldwide). So to sum things up - the general population is more interested in inoculating the elderly and vulnerable before younger athletes esp since many don't even want the Olympics taking place. So I do understand why they have this point of view. This would be for Japanese athletes only, not international athletes - and would be good to help prevent potential superspreading during the Olympics, so I see both sides of the situation.

Do you still have the same restrictions?

They ended the State of Emergency in Tokyo about 3 weeks ago, though they didn't fully end all restrictions (for example night establishments were still requested to close by 9pm instead of the SoE 8pm) - but from Monday we go back to the previous restrictions, including no gatherings over 500 people (WTF? Should be way smaller than that anyway!!!!). Osaka and a few other areas had gone back on stronger restrictions last week already due to rising numbers there, which are higher than in Tokyo.

Keeping in mind that there's lot less contact tracing nowadays so we have no real idea of the numbers - Tokyo numbers had dropped to average of 2-300, last few days it's been back in the 4-500s. The thing to watch is the hospitals. Today serious cases (ie - on ventilators in hospital) in Tokyo was 43, up 2 from yesterday, with 4 deaths, (22 nationwide).

If anyone is interested here is the site with all the numbers updated daily. Keep in mind that many numbers from private clinics aren't included here.

So according to this, the UK's claims that they funded the Dutch plant are untrue.
Moreover, another report today reveals that AZ has exported 700.000 doses out of the UK to... Australia at the same time the EU was asking for vaccines from the UK plants to make up for gigantic shortfalls. The UK tried to keep this export quiet, but an Australian newspaper made it public.

If this is the UK trying to convince the world they are trustworthy business partners, it's not really working, I think.

Meanwhile, a random The Express headline:

EU's anti-British lies continue and the bodycount grows -
the denigration of the brilliant British AstraZeneca vaccine across Europe goes on

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Koronin
So to sum things up - the general population is more interested in inoculating the elderly and vulnerable before younger athletes esp since many don't even want the Olympics taking place. So I do understand why they have this point of view. This would be for Japanese athletes only, not international athletes - and would be good to help prevent potential superspreading during the Olympics, so I see both sides of the situation.
That can be common even without COVID-19. For a while, there was a drive to get Boston the Summer games and the locals basically revolted over the idea. Similar when a DC/Baltimore bid was under consideration.

It should also be noted that vaccination doesn't really mitigate current outbreaks that well by itself. Look at the USA, we are now vaccinating 3-4m a day and our case numbers continue to creep up because we are really curtailing the non-pharmaceutical interventions.

View: https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1380358863787065345

That can be common even without COVID-19. For a while, there was a drive to get Boston the Summer games and the locals basically revolted over the idea. Similar when a DC/Baltimore bid was under consideration.

It should also be noted that vaccination doesn't really mitigate current outbreaks that well by itself. Look at the USA, we are now vaccinating 3-4m a day and our case numbers continue to creep up because we are really curtailing the non-pharmaceutical interventions.

View: https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1380358863787065345
With many of the vulnerable people (hopefully) already vaccinated the hospitalisation rate and the number of people in intensive care are probably better indicators than just the rise of cases. I know that the rise of cases usually only has a real impact on those numbers around 2 weeks later, but it would be interesting to see if the pressure on the healthcare system is still rising despite the vaccinations.

TRENDING THREADS