• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 289 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If you know you have a positive HIV status and go out and spread it around knowingly..murder of attempted murder. If you can't tell your status w Covid( and you can't..no matter what,look at break through infection numbers) you owe it to others not to get them sick,especially people who don't have a choice,children. And there are people that probably feel like they have the right to swim in a public pool despite specific warnings about not swimming if you have diarrhea. Everywhere you look there are different dynamics converging..personal responsibility crosses w economic survival..and there is a big one across the globe, the government has had over a year to solve the pandemic problem and all its interwoven complexity what is taking so long? I want to go out to eat!!
I can never know about global behavior..not even on my side of the world. But the internet, ecommerce in the United States,has given a measurable percent of the population, an expectation of instant- ultra fast satisfaction,gratification. Everything from your house can be remodeled in a couple of days, pills and procedures, a new something can have you standing on the podium in Tokyo..and cat litter should be waiting on your doorstep first thing in the morning,because you ordered it before midnight.
Pandemics take longer to solve regardless of what you are being told at a rally, protest or by a talking head on TV..it's like more than half the planet is a kid in the backseat asking mom and dad about the arrival time for the vacation destination.. " are we there yet? " you can't ask every couple of minutes and expect a different answer. In the United States,we are discussing side effects of vaccines..looks harmless until you show the numerator and denominator and realize that for the millions of vaccines given,there is nothing to talk about..literally..nothing..a number so small that it doesn't register. The same probability of Ronan Dennis's TT bike being stolen by Bigfoot..

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Kind of amazed that the kid angle doesn't come up more..at all..
The population under 12 can't do or say anything. They can't get a vaccine,don't have a vote..not a big economic group..
So a really really good reason to wear a mask,get vaccinated..so that you don't infect and kill kids. Once parents and children have options available, discussion can change,but for now we owe it to vulnerable children,not to murder them because you want sushi or think that shopping at Wal-Mart in what you consider a hassle free environment..
once kids can be protected,vaccinated things can relax..some
what are the usa cdc numbers on deaths and infections for children? Using "murder" is some hyperbolic fear parn. Then again going back and reading the pages of posts where the posters here said a vax would take 2 to 5 years is also some serious entertainment.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
If you know you have a positive HIV status and go out and spread it around knowingly..murder of attempted murder. If you can't tell your status w Covid( and you can't..no matter what,look at break through infection numbers) you owe it to others not to get them sick,especially people who don't have a choice,children. And there are people that probably feel like they have the right to swim in a public pool despite specific warnings about not swimming if you have diarrhea. Everywhere you look there are different dynamics converging..personal responsibility crosses w economic survival..and there is a big one across the globe, the government has had over a year to solve the pandemic problem and all its interwoven complexity what is taking so long? I want to go out to eat!!
I can never know about global behavior..not even on my side of the world. But the internet, ecommerce in the United States,has given a measurable percent of the population, an expectation of instant- ultra fast satisfaction,gratification. Everything from your house can be remodeled in a couple of days, pills and procedures, a new something can have you standing on the podium in Tokyo..and cat litter should be waiting on your doorstep first thing in the morning,because you ordered it before midnight.
Pandemics take longer to solve regardless of what you are being told at a rally, protest or by a talking head on TV..it's like more than half the planet is a kid in the backseat asking mom and dad about the arrival time for the vacation destination.. " are we there yet? " you can't ask every couple of minutes and expect a different answer. In the United States,we are discussing side effects of vaccines..looks harmless until you show the numerator and denominator and realize that for the millions of vaccines given,there is nothing to talk about..literally..nothing..a number so small that it doesn't register. The same probability of Ronan Dennis's TT bike being stolen by Bigfoot..
Interesting you bring up HIV. Is it ok to ask someone if they have had an HIV test and what are the results? If they are positive is it ok to ask them if they are on Tivicay, Triumeq, Truvada or Vemlidy?
Not sure who you are talking about with respect to the Rally angle but so far I don't anyone posting regularly here are involved with that. Thanks for all the great info though.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Adding another vaccine booster (family): Phil Valentine/Conservative broadcaster from Tennessee had repeatedly discouraged listeners from vaccine participation. He is hospitalized with serious respiratory symptoms of Covid but not ventilated. His family is now urging all to get vaxxed. Hope Phil recovers his health and some new awareness.
And the hits keep coming.....
Dunking on the sick or dead is never a good look.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Update on Arkansas. I am even surprised that the numbers have gone up this quickly. But the trend was always there and entirely predictable.

View: https://twitter.com/jeremychrysler/status/1420117177219289094

Why not mention the largest portion of vax hesitancy with that state?
When the numbers go in the other direction you plan on posting up the links?

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/633006d0782b4544bd5113a314f6268a/

Here's a look on Japan's situation. The numbers are much lower than other countries but they're at record highs and increasing.

Also - even though the athletes are in a bubble, there are Olympic-related people mingling in the city. Someone I know (a resident) was in a tourist area the other day and saw a number of obvious tourists there.

Reactions: jmdirt
  • Haha
Reactions: Ultrairon
explain this to me.....how are the vaccinated majority fearful of the 'unclean' minority?

surely once jabbed.....who cares about others?

Mark L
Willingly unvaccinated people are a risk to others who can't get vaccinated for medical reasons or simply because vaccination hasn't been made available to them yet. They're also a gratuitous strain on the health care system, which affects everyone equally. Furthermore, my chances of getting infected even as fully vaccinated increase the more unvaccinated people there are because vaccines curtail transmission, they don't eliminate it. The more vaccinated people there are, the less transmission. If vaccine hesitancy is high enough, we might be trapped in a sort of limbo where restrictions can't be safely lifted, which affects me even if I'm not personally in any significant danger. It's very unlikely that I'll end up in hospital personally but with thousands of infections the odds add up and some vaccinated people will none the less be at risk, especially among vulnerable groups for whom the vaccines will be less effective in the first place due to their age and their weaker immune response.

Are these reasons enough for you?

Super telling that you can only look at this through the optics of personal risk btw

Last edited:
explain this to me.....how are the vaccinated majority fearful of the 'unclean' minority?

surely once jabbed.....who cares about others?

Mark L
hrotha's answer hits most of it. I know I've typed it a few times already, but a vaccine is not a magic force field. If a vaccinated and unvaccinated person are exposed to the virus they both breath it in. The only difference is the vaccinated person has the advantage of the vaccine organizing and training the immune army so they likely won't get sick/as sick as the unvaccinated person (and therefore not spread as much).

Reactions: djpbaltimore
Why not mention the largest portion of vax hesitancy with that state?
When the numbers go in the other direction you plan on posting up the links?

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/633006d0782b4544bd5113a314f6268a/
I don't understand your first part. I lived in AR and it is populated with mostly white people. 75% according to the stats. If 2/3 of the state is not fully vaccinated, that indicates the problem is with a lot of different groups.

I will definitely post when the numbers go down because they are the canary in the coal mine for the rest of the country. They will provide important data on how Delta progresses in a semi-vaccinated population. The UK numbers are going down quickly after their most recent wave. Will AR behave the same?

The irony with the above convo between ebandit and company is that some un-vaxxed are scared of being around vaxxed because they believe they are shedding spike protein. One of the looniest of them is a retired neuroscientist that thinks the spike has prion-like activity and will turn people into zombies in 10 years if you have been vaccinated or exposed to the spike protein from them.

I've said it before when this topic has come up, but the last person to die from measles in the US was vaccinated, infected by someone who wasn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
This is a twitter thread full of data on Israel vax efficacy lifetime, esp since delta, for those that like facts and figures and graphs:
View: https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1418669720874721283

Several days after that thread was created Israel have announced a booster program.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/israel-covid19-booster-shot-seniors-1.6122683?__vfz=medium=sharebar

Delta has really thrown a spanner in the works. I wonder will the updated mRNA versions be able to address it better, let alone the other vaccines.

Oh, and I forgot to mention I got my 2nd Moderna last Monday. The following day I couldn't stay awake. It was like all-day heavy jet lag! Was finally able to stay upright for more than 30 mins by the evening, and when I went to sleep I slept for 10 hours! Next day much better! Got the sore arm muscle again, but I kept moving it around this time and it was milder than last time. yesterday it got a bit itchy, today it's better.

If you know you have a positive HIV status and go out and spread it around knowingly..murder of attempted murder.

There should be massive fines and probably jail time but not sure about charging idiots with murder or attempted murder.

Are such persons grossly irresponsible? Yes. Do these idiots intend to kill anyone? No. I can't see any legal jurisdiction ruling as you suggest and if laws were amended to direct judges to issue such penalties then there would be public outcry.

It's not just the U.S. experiencing vaccine hesitancy but to my complete surprise: Russia!

"A staggering 62 percent of Russians do not want to get vaccinated, and 56 percent are not afraid of getting the virus, according to a survey by Levada Center pollster conducted in April."

"Only 13 percent of Russians have received both jabs - compared with more than half of Americans and 87% of Icelanders."

Note: The article was from June 29 - Russia's vaccination rate is currently at "17.1%." I guess the Russians are not buying into Putin's innovative "Sputnik V" vaccine which is supposed to be on par with Pfizer & Moderna. I figured their vaccination rate would be near 100% as Putin would probably have the military force vax the masses. But just like here, this is a case of the people not trusting the government. And the Russians have been through a lot with tyrannical governments.

And it's getting bad with their 3rd wave:

So it's looking like we are debating Covid like they did turn of the century about toothpaste,indoor plumbing..
I know that they have names for the next few variants,so we have that covered. Again the messaging,we are fighting Covid but if you don't explain the percentage of infections,hospitalization,and community virus as the delta variant, then you think that there is nothing new for a year and a half. So if you are resting on.. " the virus is not dangerous to kids or young people " that may hold true for this first variants..getting a mass reduction of virus available in the community should be a stated goal of the grave importance.
Read this morning of a golfer, missed the Olympics for Covid ..said didn't get the vaccine because he wants to free up the shot for somebody who needs it..
it's like watching fire fighters in a truck outside a raging fire, sitting idle listening to the radio in front of the horrible event..
I personally don't know what damage this will cause to the country. Americans sitting in an easy chair watching someone in the third world dying for lack of food and water..while they throw away a whole pizza because they don't care for the toppings..
Baffled..
When the next variant hits I hope that there is time to react..and apologize in advance for pouring gas on your fire

TRENDING THREADS