• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 357 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Mandate struck down. Common sense exists in some places.

Now lets talk Mask waste / litter. Can yall stop throwing the masks all over the place? Find a trash can please. You are destroying the planet with your virtue signal theater props.

Reactions: Nomad

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
And that fool goes on to say the below quote on a different tweet. No s**t Covid kills people. But the percentage makes a difference. Just know this, driving an automobile can and does kill people at a rate in some age groups more than covid. Stop driving and stop swimming. Then lose some fking weight and get fit. Fitness is not a trigger here is it? Oh wait maybe it is because a Vo2 score might be a touchy subject.
Go workout and lose some fat. You have a better chance of fighting off disease in general.

Here is another award winning tweet by rasmussen.
"While it's certainly good news that omicron, like other VOCs, is less likely to cause severe disease in immunized people, it still can and does cause severe disease. It can and does kill people."

Reactions: Nomad
I'd agree on some counts. Again bringing it personal:
My Brother, rock-climbing/runner high-VO2 health freak started feeling badly last week. He has a somewhat damp basement bedroom where he lives so it was chalked up to a mold reaction. His roommates suggested he pursue a C-19 test which he refused due to what he thought it might cost. His landlord/roommate is 72 and protested.
I suggested he do the test before the coughing starts heading to his lungs and his athletic vanity finally yielded; this while living in his van for 4 days. Guess what? The test kit cost him less than $10, was available at his local Walgreens where he thought to get some spares. That was a good thought because the selfish as*hole is positive for Omicron. We had been working together, mostly outdoors and I maintained distance. I tested negative using one of his spare test kits and he is sidelined for a week.
He still won't get vaccinated because he has "the Golden ticket of immunity". His words. He's listening to podcasts that suggest that vaccination will compromise your t-cells and you'll be vulnerable to other infections.
Yeah...keep ranting about how people should get fit, don't be fat, go to the gym, don't litter the world with your (insert political declaration here). It's not done, yet.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
You forgot the best part! Get fit, lose weight, go to the gym if you want, don't be a litter bug, get vaxed! Nomad and I disagree on this but the health and fitness is very simple steps to help!
Never thought I would read where fitness was an somehow a trigger for anger. But then again their is a radio station on nation wide here in the USA that thinks fitness is a key word to other problems. Who knew.

Reactions: FrankB
Update on the NSW Australia omicron case explosion …

ICUs coping but nurses and staff stretched in the meantime. I hope it subsides as expected. A good case study.

I'd agree on some counts. Again bringing it personal:
My Brother, rock-climbing/runner high-VO2 health freak started feeling badly last week. He has a somewhat damp basement bedroom where he lives so it was chalked up to a mold reaction. His roommates suggested he pursue a C-19 test which he refused due to what he thought it might cost. His landlord/roommate is 72 and protested.
I suggested he do the test before the coughing starts heading to his lungs and his athletic vanity finally yielded; this while living in his van for 4 days. Guess what? The test kit cost him less than $10, was available at his local Walgreens where he thought to get some spares. That was a good thought because the selfish as*hole is positive for Omicron. We had been working together, mostly outdoors and I maintained distance. I tested negative using one of his spare test kits and he is sidelined for a week.
He still won't get vaccinated because he has "the Golden ticket of immunity". His words. He's listening to podcasts that suggest that vaccination will compromise your t-cells and you'll be vulnerable to other infections.
Yeah...keep ranting about how people should get fit, don't be fat, go to the gym, don't litter the world with your (insert political declaration here). It's not done, yet.
I just got a free test kit from work this week for just such an occasion. But I think your anecdote is representative of many of the unvaccinated. They are just unreachable without mandates.

I thought this clip was interesting. Rogan being led to the right answer and just totally looking for reasons to live with his make believe world.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/FullContactMTWF/status/1481638689415462916

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I just got a free test kit from work this week for just such an occasion. But I think your anecdote is representative of many of the unvaccinated. They are just unreachable without mandates.

I thought this clip was interesting. Rogan being led to the right answer and just totally looking for reasons to live with his make believe world.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/FullContactMTWF/status/1481638689415462916
Mandates died yesterday. Sorry no other court to go with now.

Go workout and get the vax. Don't be fat and lazy. Or wear a bubble around your head like this idiot.

View: https://youtu.be/RrOzY86YcEM?t=832

Reactions: Cookster15
The Gov said 90% of hospitalizations in Maryland are omicron. It appears mild because it is infecting more people with prior immunity. It is almost certainly less virulent than delta, but is probably just as virulent as OG covid. But, we are at the stage where there are fewer and fewer truly immune naive out there.

Source from last week.

One of my brothers who is double vaxxed just recovered from what I assume was the Omicron variant. Didn't have to go to hospital but he couldn't eat for a week. Sounded more like a typical flu.

One of my brothers who is double vaxxed just recovered from what I assume was the Omicron variant. Didn't have to go to hospital but he couldn't eat for a week. Sounded more like a typical flu.
My partners 21 year old daughter who us double vaxxed caught omicron. She had what was like a bad cold for 3 days. But she recovered quickly and has no “long Covid” aftermath. I suggest the tens of thousands currently testing positive in Australia would be similar or maybe even no symptoms at all? As I posted above very few as a proportion of cases are ending up in hospital let alone ICUs. This should be cause for celebration.

Mandates died yesterday. Sorry no other court to go with now.

Go workout and get the vax. Don't be fat and lazy. Or wear a bubble around your head like this idiot.

View: https://youtu.be/RrOzY86YcEM?t=832
FYI Peter Sagan has caught Covid twice. Pretty sure he isn’t fat and lazy? I think it is still preferable to get vaxxed. At least double vaxxed. But I am beginning to wonder about ongoing boosters. What do these do to the body’s natural immune system?

Reactions: Ultrairon

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
FYI Peter Sagan has caught Covid twice. Pretty sure he isn’t fat and lazy? I think it is still preferable to get vaxxed. At least double vaxxed. But I am beginning to wonder about ongoing boosters. What do these do to the body’s natural immune system?
I know what you are saying that getting fit is not going to do it alone. I agree. Get the vax and workout better? Anyway I do feel like it goes a long way to help with the fight to be fit.

Also I seen something yesterday but I am afraid to post it here about the vax and the proteins created in the glands, leading to Parkinson's. That being a reason to be cautious when it comes to kids or children and the vax.
Considering the percentage of bad outcomes and death with under 17 I am not sure what we are doing pushing the vax so much when it can't stop the variants.

Reactions: FrankB
This is probably going to come as a shock, but UI has no idea what he is talking about. Boosters protect against all known variants.
he didn't say it doesn't offer protection, he said that it doesn't stop it. If I was a parent of a child or teen, I would weigh the risk vs reward before doing it, and i'd definitely opt for Pfizer over Moderns given the higher myocarditis incident rate.

he didn't say it doesn't offer protection, he said that it doesn't stop it. If I was a parent of a child or teen, I would weigh the risk vs reward before doing it, and i'd definitely opt for Pfizer over Moderns given the higher myocarditis incident rate.
UI did not say 'doesn't stop'. UI said 'can't stop' which is clearly false.

No one should be taking your advice on vaccines. You think anecdotal evidence with one group containing an N of 1 is meaningful.

My partners 21 year old daughter who us double vaxxed caught omicron. She had what was like a bad cold for 3 days. But she recovered quickly and has no “long Covid” aftermath. I suggest the tens of thousands currently testing positive in Australia would be similar or maybe even no symptoms at all? As I posted above very few as a proportion of cases are ending up in hospital let alone ICUs. This should be cause for celebration.

I have had covid since last weekend. Some tiredness in muscles at times, and a head cold, but not too bad. I hope that I am allowed to return to work on Monday.

Vaccine mandates were put in place for two reasons.

• To protect against serious illness or death
  • To protect the vaccinated from catching COVID from the unvaccinated.

The vaccines are doing an excellent job ay combatting serious illness, however the vaccines are not as successful at preventing breakthrough infections - The theory behind vaccine mandates was that vaccinated people were less of a health threat to others when compared to unvaccinated people, but the practice has not shown this to be the case. So all the drama with vaccine mandates was not needed - It seems to be a miscalculation from Governments across the world.

UI did not say 'doesn't stop'. UI said 'can't stop' which is clearly false.

No one should be taking your advice on vaccines. You think anecdotal evidence with one group containing an N of 1 is meaningful.
I didn't offer advice, I stated my opinion on vaccines if I had young kids now. And again, my previous point on my unvaccinated employees and infection rates/severity was that given the similarity in outcomes that they see, citing statistics does no good when they look at their peers and they don't see any advantage. One of my positives returned to work this week and was told by one of the antivaxxers "vaccine did you a lot of good, didn't it?" You're talking about what the statistics say people should do, and I'm talking about what they really do. Until they have a bad personal experience, be it themselves or a loved one, they're unlikely to change their mind, and my telling them otherwise does no good. If they weren't swayed by financial incentives offered, stats are aren't going to do anything.

Last edited:
Mandate struck down. Common sense exists in some places.

Now lets talk Mask waste / litter. Can yall stop throwing the masks all over the place? Find a trash can please. You are destroying the planet with your virtue signal theater props.

• Haha
The vaccines are doing an excellent job ay combatting serious illness, however the vaccines are not as successful at preventing breakthrough infections - The theory behind vaccine mandates was that vaccinated people were less of a health threat to others when compared to unvaccinated people, but the practice has not shown this to be the case. So all the drama with vaccine mandates was not needed - It seems to be a miscalculation from Governments across the world.
Vaccines do lead to a reduced chance of getting infected, and also reduce the chance that you will yourself infect someone else. That has been shown again and again in real-life situations. But, yes, they do not stop transmission completely.

Situation here:
69% of adults in Flanders have now received the booster. Across Belgium, hospitalizations have increased somewhat, but IC cases have dropped, even though record infection numbers have been recorded for the past 10 days or so. Of the people in hospital where they know it's the omicron variant, 0 of those 60 or so had been vaccinated, and the median age was around 48. Omicron has seemingly stopped at around 90% proportion of infections, meaning that Delta is not fully suppressed, which worries some virologists.

I also read an article with experts from the US and Europe explaining why the situation in the US with Omicron was much worse than in Europe:
  • Americans are less healthy - more diabetes, more overweight
  • less Americans are vaccinated, and less have received a booster
  • healthcare is more uneven in quality (and much higher in cost)

In any case, it should be now be absolutely clear that vaccination is working very well to significantly reduce covid health problems. Those who still deny this, are - in my eyes - fanatics driven by ideology, with disregard for facts.

But I think your anecdote is representative of many of the unvaccinated. They are just unreachable without mandates.
Spoken like a true vaccine extremist. Lol. Vaccine "mandates" are unethical & don't take into consideration that not everyone needs to be vaccinated.

First of all, people who have recovered from Covid, like myself, have post-infection immunity which is at least as good, if not better, than vaccine-induced immunity. As I've cited here, there are studies showing long-lasting robust T cells with the recoverd that prevent serious illness from the variants (you really disappoint me on this because with your medical background & knowledge, you of all people should know the benefits of natural immunity but yet you continually remain quiet on this aspect as if there's no such thing as natural immunity acquired from SARS-CoV-2).

Secondly, there's a thousand fold difference in Covid mortality between the youngest & oldest of those infected with Covid.

And let's not forget about the side-effects and the unknown long-term risks of these mRNA technology vaccines. You're wanting to force people to take a product where the manufacturer has complete immunity from product liability!

And what's egregious with these strict vaccine mandates/passports recently implemented in some of the Blue states (i.e. no "testing out" option) is that Liberal leadership is simply punishing the vaccine hesitant for being disobedient & not adhering to their authoritarianism!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS