• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 361 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
N95 an KN95 are hard to come by in the USA. Looking at reputable sites, best case I can have a pack of 10 here by the end of February. There are none in local pharmacies. At around $2 a mask that is $10-14 a week/$40+ per month. My understanding with 'single use' is 8-10 hours of wear. So if you have to wear it all day for work that's one mask per day. If you are just using it for shopping and other errands, you can make it last for a while. Even if that wasn't the recommendation, I can't imagine wearing a mask for more than one day...gross inside and out!
I WFH so only have to use a mask for shopping and errands. Yes I understand the cost adds up if you have to wear all day for your work.

Reactions: jmdirt
At least, Denmark has faith in vaccines - There has been a distinct lack of trust worldwide in vaccines.

Are you surprised? Authorities are now changing the definition of what constitutes "fully vaccinated". This is extremely important because all kinds of freedoms can be denied if you are not fully vaccinated.

Already where I live we need to show vaccination status to enter clubs, restaurants, shops and other establishments.

How happy would you be to have to get a booster every three months with no end in sight? Because that is what people are now asking be that true or not. Every country will have a breaking point - even Denmark.

The other point I may have missed in this thread is what risk does ongoing vaccination have on compromising your body's natural immunity for all infections?

Are you surprised? Authorities are now changing the definition of what constitutes "fully vaccinated". This is extremely important because all kinds of freedoms can be denied if you are not fully vaccinated.

Already where I live we need to show vaccination status to enter clubs, restaurants, shops and other establishments.

How happy would you be to have to get a booster every three months with no end in sight? Because that is what people are now asking be that true or not. Every country will have a breaking point - even Denmark.

The other point I may have missed in this thread is what risk does ongoing vaccination have on compromising your body's natural immunity for all infections?

Vaccine mandates are redundant with the Omicron variant - Whether vaccinated or unvaccinated your chances of being infected are not much different - Obviously vaccination will give you more protection which is to be expected - Unfortunately, we have a brainwashed majority who think the unvaccinated are a danger to society along with many Government's whose policies show a lack of trust in vaccines.

Are there countries doing shots every 90 days? I'm reading yearly.

Are there countries doing shots every 90 days? I'm reading yearly.

If yearly that's fine and I have heard that the annual flu shot will also take care of SC2. But the talk is it could be more frequent. This is because we were told to get boosters 3 months after the 2nd shot and scientific opinions are still evolving on what will happen. Below is an excellent article on the current state of play:

Yes, Omicron Is Loosening Its Hold. But the Pandemic Has Not Ended. - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Reactions: Ultrairon and yaco
If yearly that's fine and I have heard that the annual flu shot will also take care of SC2. But the talk is it could be more frequent. This is because we were told to get boosters 3 months after the 2nd shot and scientific opinions are still evolving on what will happen. Below is an excellent article on the current state of play:

Yes, Omicron Is Loosening Its Hold. But the Pandemic Has Not Ended. - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
NYT won't let me read without paying.

I read prior to the 3rd shot even being an option that a 3 shot regimen is common so I'm not looking at that as 'something extra' just part of the plan. SC2 is obviously different than previous virus though so we'll have to wait and see what the regimen is. Maybe it will be the first 3 and then 6 months and then 1 year. IMO, each time that a shot gets added I think that there will be less and less people getting one.

Yes, I have also read about several flu/SC2 combo shot in development. IMO, a combo shot once a year might get more uptake.

Reactions: Cookster15

These patients have never been in hospital and did not have an acute severe illness when they had their Covid-19 infection

Thanks for this which concerns questions I asked when so called "long" Covid was first reported. It seems many who contract covid but don't experience severe symptoms can have long term lung problems. But the article suggests it is treatable.

I think that I posted a while back about two local docs (a cardiologist and a pulmonologist) who are using PET scans to identify 'gas exchange irregularities' in long covid patients with breathing issues. Their treatments have show pretty good success (based on the article). I'll see if I can fid it again, but I read it last fall so...

EDIT: A friend who works at the Veterans hospital got SC2 in April 2020, and was exhausted and short of breath for the rest of the year. After she got vaccinated in December she got better. She was feeling normal by February.

Last edited:
Sorry for the repeat, but as I've posted before, I don't care if people wan to take things that don't help them. I do hope that they don't take things that hurt them but, that's on them. I do find it strange though that people want to take something that is not proven to work over something that is proven to work, but again, whatever. For politicians to be making laws about such things though is stupid at best.

I am ill right now with Covid. 38-38,5 degrees fever. Pain in joints etc. I have taken 3 shots of vaccine, two Pfizer and one Moderna.

Got it from pre-school where they closed down the whole school after the teachers got it. My daughter got 40,5 degrees fever.
I hope you and your family recover quickly and are back to 100% asap..In my family,3 people with Covid in 2 weeks..2 are almost normal w negative tests..23 yo had extreme symptoms for 3 days and looks to be getting better over the last few days..the news of Tom Brady retiring may cause a setback.. And the 23yo works in an office of 9..7 have tested positive..

I hope you and your family recover quickly and are back to 100% asap..In my family,3 people with Covid in 2 weeks..2 are almost normal w negative tests..23 yo had extreme symptoms for 3 days and looks to be getting better over the last few days..the news of Tom Brady retiring may cause a setback.. And the 23yo works in an office of 9..7 have tested positive..

Sorry to hear of this. But on your 23yo, can't they WFH? Or did his office colleagues catch the virus despite working from home? I am an office worker and we have been told to WFH since the pandemic started. But two of my team caught the virus recently despite WFH. They were fully vaccinated and thankfully mild symptoms.

Cookster, all in his office were\are vaccinated most w 2 jabs but the 2 people over 45yo w 3.
He recently traveled from Spain,Mexico City and Cali Colombia..all w weeks inbetween..in his office, most people work one day from home, he got Covid while on vacation and had not been in the office for 8 days..his theory is the grocery store,because that was the point of exposure w others..
My wife is a nurse and an absolute fanatic about all things Covid,masks single use,washing hands,shoes, taking showers at the hospital and again when home from work, no clothes that were worn to and from work enter the house,are not washed w anything else, all grocery items are washed like we bought them in Chernobyl..and eating out!!! Forgetaboutit..I used to eat fish tacos,aguachile, ceviche, or shrimp cocktail min 3-4 times a month..she has a - we don't eat out policy and my consumption of carne asada is done in secret..in Northern Baja you can get raw oysters,cheap and easy at many places for cheap,but as anyone w poor to average technique, shucking oysters wrong ruins everything because of all the debris..so eating out is the thing or one of the things I miss about pre pandemic life..and recently people getting sick from Covid is not helping get things back to " normal ".
Also in our area, most current released movies have versions w and wo subtitles for @$4 bucks,concession prices are also excellent..I have not been in a theater in @2 years!!!
I also like life wo clean up..so going for beer,wings,tequila on Sunday to watch some NFL was a thing..now it's not..and eating wings at home is sub standard in every way..
There is a billiard chain in Mexico called Pockets..just ok food, and higher than normal drink prices..if you have drank Indio on tap is really good..but the manager of our local outlet puts on bike races on multiple huge screen TVs..and it's really awesome..and hope Covid calms enough so I can watch my new favorite Belgian win the Paris-Roubaix this year..Woooot!

Cookster, all in his office were\are vaccinated most w 2 jabs but the 2 people over 45yo w 3.

Jabs won't stop anyone catching or spreading Covid-19 - the current global omicron case explosion when billions are now vaccinated is proof. The evidence shows jabs reduce severity of symptoms and reduce the load on our hospitals and ICUs. The rest of your post I get - I feel the same. My point was specifically about working from home - if you can you should and won't catch the virus that way. Most who work in offices these days can work from home if you have decent telecommunications. If you can work from home you won't catch the virus from work colleagues. I understand that health workers are at greatest risk - obviously. My perspective isn't as a health worker but from the perspective of someone who can see this from all sides.

Jabs won't stop anyone catching or spreading Covid-19 - the current global omicron case explosion when billions are now vaccinated is proof. The evidence shows jabs reduce severity of symptoms and reduce the load on our hospitals and ICUs. The rest of your post I get - I feel the same. My point was specifically about working from home - if you can you should and won't catch the virus that way. Most who work in offices these days can work from home if you have decent telecommunications. If you can work from home you won't catch the virus from work colleagues. I understand that health workers are at greatest risk - obviously. My perspective isn't as a health worker but from the perspective of someone who can see this from all sides.
Now the authorities are saying that the two new sub variants are even more infectious. plenty of people throwing their hands in the air at the moment. Until recently I hadn't known anyone personally who had been infected now there are plenty including two family members so it seems the end is nowhere to be seen just yet even though some experts had hopes that the first version of Omicron was possibly the fade out.........it seems not.

Now the authorities are saying that the two new sub variants are even more infectious. plenty of people throwing their hands in the air at the moment. Until recently I hadn't known anyone personally who had been infected now there are plenty including two family members so it seems the end is nowhere to be seen just yet even though some experts had hopes that the first version of Omicron was possibly the fade out.........it seems not.

They are throwing their hands in the hair because they are attempting to fight the virus based upon obsolete paradigms.

Yes, as I have posted recently I now know people personally and also at work who became infected so its getting closer to all of us. I had to get tested due to a close contact.

But I would only be truly concerned if these variants were more virulent. I'm not seeing this anywhere, be that thanks to vaccination, community exposure or the virus itself (where has djpbaltimore gone?).

There was no end to the Spanish flu - H1N1. No vaccine was ever developed and it became endemic. I think Covid-19 is well on track to becoming endemic. Hopefully these new variants confirm this tend. Undue pessimism has serious consequences too and eventually the risk / reward curves intersect. I totally understand why lockdowns and loss of freedoms were necessary. But circumstances have changed so the response needs to change.

Eventually the wider public, and authorities will change their tune - some health authorities already are signaling optimism.

• Wow
Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
They are throwing their hands in the hair because they are attempting to fight the virus based upon obsolete paradigms.

Yes, as I have posted recently I now know people personally and also at work who became infected so its getting closer to all of us. I had to get tested due to a close contact.

But I would only be truly concerned if these variants were more virulent. I'm not seeing this anywhere, be that thanks to vaccination, community exposure or the virus itself (where has djpbaltimore gone?).

There was no end to the Spanish flu - H1N1. No vaccine was ever developed and it became endemic. I think Covid-19 is well on track to becoming endemic. Hopefully these new variants confirm this tend. Undue pessimism has serious consequences too and eventually the risk / reward curves intersect. I totally understand why lockdowns and loss of freedoms were necessary. But circumstances have changed so the response needs to change.

Eventually the wider public, and authorities will change their tune - some health authorities already are signaling optimism.

I am hopeful for this as well.

Reactions: Cookster15

Are you using the scientific definitions of pandemic and endemic? There is absolutely no indication at this point that SC2 is "well on track to becoming endemic". Hopefully it does, but at this point IMO you are starting to confuse the meaning of 'optimism'. We all hope that things get better, sooner, rather than later, but that doesn't mean disregarding facts.

• Haha
Reactions: Ultrairon
Are you using the scientific definitions of pandemic and endemic? There is absolutely no indication at this point that SC2 is "well on track to becoming endemic". Hopefully it does, but at this point IMO you are starting to confuse the meaning of 'optimism'. We all hope that things get better, sooner, rather than later, but that doesn't mean disregarding facts.
I'm listening to experts. They don't all agree. H1N1 became endemic. So will SC2. It is inevitable.

Here is a link to one such expert in Australia. Nick Coatsworth is a an infectious disease physician.

Australia COVID: Pandemic will end in 2022, Nick Coatsworth says (smh.com.au)

TRENDING THREADS