• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 400 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
That's quite a change. Basically treat it like the flu.
People should be critical enough to self analyze the actions of the media spreading panic etc. But they are not. Covid went no where its still out there yet the panic is over.

In my opinion it's not the vax that did that. In fact more details are coming out now about the vax. Guess if anything is wrong with it we know who to blame.

I asked earlier in the thread is there really long covid is it real? Probably not , most likely it is a syndrome.

See Sweden numbers now.

Reactions: Cookster15
People should be critical enough to self analyze the actions of the media spreading panic etc. But they are not. Covid went no where its still out there yet the panic is over.

In my opinion it's not the vax that did that. In fact more details are coming out now about the vax. Guess if anything is wrong with it we know who to blame.

I asked earlier in the thread is there really long covid is it real? Probably not , most likely it is a syndrome.

See Sweden numbers now.
You have the parallels between Long Covid and Chronic Fatigue ..........some people and doctors still don't believe that CFS is a medical condition but with Long Covid I'm more convinced as the researchers have been able to measure the effects on lung capacity etc but there will always be a certain percentage of patients who are borderline or maybe falling into the area of psychological more than physical issues.............I remember similar conclusions being also made about Lyme Disease, even today the diagnosis is still controversial with some people including researchers.

Last edited:
Covid went no where its still out there yet the panic is over.

In my opinion it's not the vax that did that. In fact more details are coming out now about the vax.
It was the vax.
You have the parallels between Long Covid and Chronic Fatigue ..........some people and doctors still don't believe that CFS is a medical condition but with Long Covid I'm more convinced as the researchers have been able to measure the effects on lung capacity etc but there will always be a certain percentage of patients who are borderline or maybe falling into the area of psychological more than physical issues.............I remember similar conclusions being also made about Lyme Disease, even today the diagnosis is still controversial with some people including researchers.
There seems to be some people with persistent infection. The problem with diagnosing long covid is that there is no accepted medical definition. There is a lot of fear mongering about long covid but post viral syndromes are real. Fortunately they only effect a relatively small number of the infected.

See Sweden numbers now.
This is absolutely correct except for 99% of it..is Covid over? No..we're any of the stated objectives for complete global eradication? Never.
The behavior changes,immunization,advanced treatment and of course natural immunity have all been components of successfully slowing death and disease from Covid..1st world countries like the US had little choice other than to reveal the emperor had no clothes..we have over a million dead,dismal record,filled with government lying from the highest office down. Had anyone in the civilized world adopting..let's have God or nature work it out..tens of millions more dead,countries and economies collapsing..
And the media angle has some but very little validity..based on world conspiracy cooperation..why would Spain or Italy kill it's people to make a point in the United States?Why would China and Russia close down their countries and economies if there were other readily available good options?
But the most important thing about your opinion,a very popular one I may add..the media..
So I always sit at the ready to hear how or why the media killed a million plus in the US..
And the 2 prime examples..US government saw the immediate need for a media outlet of comprehensive Covid information..for a variety of reasons..not able to be described or discussed here, the government abandoned disseminating information and instead yielded to everyone,everything else.. Then you have China,who has almost absolute control of most media..what is their message about Covid? And by all metrics..the US and China are both in recession..why would China go into Covid lockdown @2+ years in, lots and lots and lots of information and alternatives available as you claim? What do you know that China doesn't?
in the US it was always clear and for the most part a success..don't have a bums rush on the hospital and health care system!! So yes we had freezers full of dead bodies..but it was not long term..yes we had mass graves but a temporary condition..
Media has responsibility..no doubt..but people like Alex Jones,Joe Rogan,Howard Stern,ect..have little to no responsibility..if you are getting medical advice from them..straight forward Darwin..
if you are afraid of Covid, TB,cancer,polio..you are intelligent not over reacting

It was the vax.

There seems to be some people with persistent infection. The problem with diagnosing long covid is that there is no accepted medical definition. There is a lot of fear mongering about long covid but post viral syndromes are real. Fortunately they only effect a relatively small number of the infected.
If you'll remember I shared an anecdotal case of a friend who is a PT at the Idaho Veterans home. She got covid pretty early on (in bed for five days, on the couch for five more), and even after she was covid negative she could barely make it through the work day so a ride or gym workout were out of the question. Her fatigue and shortness of breath lasted until she got vaccinated. It obviously took about a month for her body to get on top of it, and she had lost a lot of fitness from so much time of not being able to do very much, but she was able to get back to being active again. "persistent infection" is a good way to word it in many cases IMO.

Its not surprising that they haven't clearly defined long covid yet, but beyond the obvious cardio/respiratory (aerobic) systems, the endocrine systems is more of a focus now. There are many examples of diseases/disorders/syndromes that don't have a 'pinpoint definition' (ie: multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, inflammatory diseases, CFS/ME...). The simple definition is people who have had covid, and 3 months, 6 months, 12 months out still haven't been able to resume their 'normal' lives.

Important to recognize alternate reality that exists.. Examples here of first hand accounts of people suffering from Covid complications long after most symptoms subside. So the negative test results and ongoing medical issues have been described as long Covid...and then the other sub group that doesn't believe the people or that the conditions are real..
I personally know a 26 and 29 year old pro cyclists that lost more than half their seasons because of ongoing Covid effects months after the majority of symptoms have disappeared.. I believe them when they told me " I want to ride, I want to train but can't "

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Found some quotes of people who really had more than enough.

"I don’t sit around laughing about “lol remember 6ft of separation”. None of it is quirky or funny in retrospect. It was totalitarian chaos. Leadership and government at all levels failed." "I am not forgetting or forgiving. If you were a freak during covid who wanted to control my family and try to f* up my life: I hate you. You showed your character. Weak s*."

Many more like that these days.

Someone should own up to and pay for the fear mongering.

The vax should never be called a vax. There are people who have up to 4 shots - and still have had covid 2 or 3 times (more?) Its essentially a flu shot called a covid 19 shot. The shot is not the reason for everyone moving along, people are moving along because they realize just how absurd all of this lock-down nonsense really was. Now as a result of some saying "if you get the shot you will not get covid" (obviously not the truth) the vax does not carry the weight it did at the beginning. Less and less people are going to get the vax as a result.

Reactions: Nomad
I had two shots last year, one in early February, another one late May. I haven’t had any reactions from either, but l think that’s plenty good for me. I wonder if it was even worth it. I lived in a big city, took public transport majority of the time, didn’t wear masks until it was mandatory and never got sick. Maybe I was lucky.

Reactions: jmdirt
As I young adult I am not sure 4th dose is benefit for me or society even if it is for Omicron. I had three doses and fresh imunnity from disease. Probably BA4 or BA5. I hope :D. Anyway, not an easy sickness and I feel I am not 100% healthy two weeks after first symptoms. I had still cough and runny nose a bit. I had not lose my sense of smell but it is still visibly worse.

The vax should never be called a vax. There are people who have up to 4 shots - and still have had covid 2 or 3 times (more?) Its essentially a flu shot called a covid 19 shot. The shot is not the reason for everyone moving along, people are moving along because they realize just how absurd all of this lock-down nonsense really was. Now as a result of some saying "if you get the shot you will not get covid" (obviously not the truth) the vax does not carry the weight it did at the beginning. Less and less people are going to get the vax as a result.
There is no medical difference between a shot and a vaccine. The flu shot is a vaccine.

The reason the vax is 'carrying less weight' now is because there are no more uninfected, unvaxxed people. The first two doses in 2021 were the lifesavers.

As we saw in many word salads vax,vaccinated,vaccine,shot,jab, inoculated all should be interchangeable.. Again and again the quest for accurate information can be made more difficult if not impossible by the efforts of trolls intentionally giving misinformation. The US government almost immediately saw the need for a central authorized data outlet, they established a government endorsed press conference that was a logical and reliable place for citizens to get information. A modern day fire side chat..we are unable to discuss why the news comes conferences were abruptly discontinued, but the information is out there.
in the US we are seeing a series of public emergencies from flooding,tornado,wildfires,ect..for all there are central outlets that allow citizens of effected areas to find out the status of the disaster and what action they have to take if any.
We had a recent announcement in San Diego alerting the public of positive tuberculosis case..the person who came up positive had regularly taken the trolley to and from work,making regular connections.. So it was pretty broad..if you rode the trolley for the last 3-4 months,you may have been exposed..I guess better than nothing

In the US? Way, way under probably. Maybe 25%. At least it will be easier to get an appointment.
I was at a country rock concert last night in our town. A woman next to me introduced herself and then was quite comfortable telling me is from New York but also owns a place in Florida in a swanky golf course community. This, in addition to her gated home here. She reminded me that she's from New York which apparently conferred more authority on her opinion. While I'm trying to listen to music she went Way South and suggested she wasn't concerned about public places as she hadn't had Covid and enjoyed the DeSantis treatment approach. She then asked if I'd had it and I said "yes....it kicked my ass and I don't want to lose another 2 months of health. Also; a majority of tourist workers here can't afford to miss work and have had Covid before transported by out of area tourists escaping restrictions in other States and countries. You'll see some masks, so don't be shocked."
She STFU after that.
But she's from New York, rich and maybe I should take my advice from her.

Why bother to respond. It's over for you....go on with your bidness.
You consistently lack any compassion so you can't be attempting to save the rest of us from horrible misjudgement.
The "covid is over" chant demonstrates a complete lack of understanding.

250-500 people are still dying every day in the USA. That's 91,000-182,500 per year. It has become 'acceptable' to have 30,000 die from influenza each year, but a few years before covid when we had a year that almost doubled that number it was a big deal. So, 90-180K is far from over.

Developing neutralizing vaccines could reduce that number by 90% (ie: similar to polio).

The "covid is over" chant demonstrates a complete lack of understanding.

250-500 people are still dying every day in the USA. That's 91,000-182,500 per year. It has become 'acceptable' to have 30,000 die from influenza each year, but a few years before covid when we had a year that almost doubled that number it was a big deal. So, 90-180K is far from over.

Developing neutralizing vaccines could reduce that number by 90% (ie: similar to polio).
No doubt but the change in strategy from most governments plus the daily news cycle shuffle just means that new events have supplanted Covid's place in the news cycle. if we had a really severe new strain then that would change. China is the odd man out at the moment, still persevering with what many think is a pointless attempt at a zero tolerance strategy but that probably has more to do with propaganda and government control than any logical medical strategy and the criticism they received over the original outbreak is still raw with Chinese authorities.

I think latest observations here are spot on, and my opinion for why Mission Accomplished was declared is held by many. 60 Minutes Covid mention follows the thread here kind of petering out and as Dirt posted, there is a dead body level of acceptance..
I will be curious to see in the United States if there becomes a new cultural norm of getting a yearly booster.. I don't know the percentage that receive a Flu shot but if Covid booster participated is lower, going to be a dismal turnout

TRENDING THREADS