• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2012; Stage 6: Saint-Alban-Leysse → Morzine (167km)

Critérium du Dauphiné 2012; Stage 6: Saint-Alban-Leysse → Morzine (167km)

CARTE.jpg

PROFIL.png

profile-col-de-joux-plane.jpg

PROFILKMS.png

Will Sky be able to control this stage?
Who will gain/lose time time on the final descent?
And for the stage win - the early break or a late attack?

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I think late attack wins this. 1-2 guys with a lead across the top, maybe someone like Nibbles and Evans join them on the descent (doubtful though, they might not want to risk an injury).

I'll go with Danny Brown for the second stage win of this Dauphine. If it's not him, it will be someone not riding the Tour, I'm almost certain.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
red_flanders said:
This is it. Joux Plane is major, you can attack from well down the climb. Minutes could be gained.

I think in this field the only one able to gain minutes on the Sky train is Andy Schleck, and his form is... well - ****. Will be interesting to see if say, Liquigas, BMC and maybe even Katusha try to drop Wiggans on one of the earlier climbs just to see if they can - might be important hint for them of how to attack him in the Tour

Fetisoff said:
I think in this field the only one able to gain minutes on the Sky train is Andy Schleck, and his form is... well - ****. Will be interesting to see if say, Liquigas, BMC and maybe even Katusha try to drop Wiggans on one of the earlier climbs just to see if they can - might be important hint for them of how to attack him in the Tour
you don't think Roland, if allowed to get clear, could take time on the group and win the stage? He is no threat on the GC anymore.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Schleck to go in the break with and take the stage or at least top 3. I think he has lost enough time to be let go, and he wants to test himself though not 1:1 against the other favourites. Having said, it's Andy, who knows.

Order of the day: 10 man break including Andy Schleck, stay together until Joux-Plane, Schleck to pace make on Joux-Plane, breakaway to fall apart and Andy to go over the top alone, though maybe to get caught by another breakaway companion on the way down.
Favourites to be led by Sky all day, maybe small gaps after the Colombier by some probing descending, all back together before Joux-Plane. First 10 over the top within 20 seconds of each other, Wiggins will be there, depending on the pace Evans may not be, Wiggins to make sure he doesn't crash and wrap up the GC, some descenders like Nibali to finish in front by 30-60 seconds as he'll be happy with a few more risks and will be let go.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
karlboss said:
Schleck to go in the break with and take the stage or at least top 3. I think he has lost enough time to be let go, and he wants to test himself though not 1:1 against the other favourites. Having said, it's Andy, who knows.

Order of the day: 10 man break including Andy Schleck, stay together until Joux-Plane, Schleck to pace make on Joux-Plane, breakaway to fall apart and Andy to go over the top alone, though maybe to get caught by another breakaway companion on the way down.
Favourites to be led by Sky all day, maybe small gaps after the Colombier by some probing descending, all back together before Joux-Plane. First 10 over the top within 20 seconds of each other, Wiggins will be there, depending on the pace Evans may not be, Wiggins to make sure he doesn't crash and wrap up the GC, some descenders like Nibali to finish in front by 30-60 seconds as he'll be happy with a few more risks and will be let go.

Did you watch the stage already? That is so reaslistic it feels like a spoiler. We will have to give you marks for each corect prediction

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
How dare you underestimate wiggins! He will attack from the colombiere and win the stage by 10 minutes!!!

Why would Wiggins waste the energy to win by 10 minutes with the TDF just around the corner? A 2 or 3 minute win will be fine today, no need to do too much.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
Why would Wiggins waste the energy to win by 10 minutes with the TDF just around the corner? A 2 or 3 minute win will be fine today, no need to do too much.

lol the smartest thing to do will be to just follow and stay in the back.