• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2012 Stage 7 Sunday, June 10 125 km Morzine → Châtel

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Weening sometimes has these spells of great form. But he'll always crack at some point, because he turns such a giant gear on every climb. You can't keep doing that for three weeks.

Why doesn't his DS convince him to spin? Everyone knows it's far more efficient when climbing.

theyoungest said:
You really do enjoy your cycling, don't you? :eek:

This year is starting to make me ask myself that, it must be said. Terrible routes in nearly every stage race (this is the nadir, because this could be so much more, and other races that misuse terrain at least have the excuse of time of year, eg Giro di Calabria, Ruta del Sol or Paris-Nice), matched by racing that is hyper-controlled when a guy from a top team is in form, and hyper-cowardly when a guy from a top team isn't.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
This year is starting to make me ask myself that, it must be said. Terrible routes in nearly every stage race (this is the nadir, because this could be so much more, and other races that misuse terrain at least have the excuse of time of year, eg Giro di Calabria, Ruta del Sol or Paris-Nice), matched by racing that is hyper-controlled when a guy from a top team is in form, and hyper-cowardly when a guy from a top team isn't.

I hear ya, this season has been a very disappointing affair, it is difficult to not complain and lose interest. And the tactics and style of riding the last year has been most disappointing (I call it the non-contador racing style).

And then looking at the tour route is just depressing really :(

Captain Sensible said:
I at least saw the last wicket shame as I hoped he would get his hundred , I will have to price up the HD but will need new tv as well:eek:

Sky charge £10 pcm for HD, for me it's almost worth it to get Eurosport HD alone. Watching on British Eurosport or British Eurosport 2 just isn't the same. I do wonder if they deliberately make their standard channels really poor quality to make HD stand out...

You can get a very decent HD TV without spending extortionate amounts btw - I've got something like this and it's a really good value piece of kit

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5298367/Trail/searchtext>BUSH+HD.htm

Anyway, on topic, well done to Brad and the Sky boys on a consistent ride over the week.

maltiv said:
I'm still baffled as to why Sky let EBH go for the win here and not on stage 1 and 2. I guess they had no idea he was in such good form. Obviously, with him not being in the Tenerife gang, they can't monitor him as closely.

Pieter Weening incredible today as well, what's up with him? :p

I think that the freedom and support given to all the GE riders has seen some marked improvement in guys like Gerrans, Impey, Albasini, Clarke, Davis and Weening. With a similar role to play at the Tour, it will be interesting to see how he performs. He also performed well at TOC where he was helping in the lead out for Howard and then working well in duo with young Cam Meyer in the hillier stages.

It should also be remembered that when Weening returned to racing this year after his knee injury, he was one of only 3 riders left (for GE) in the Circuit de la Sarthe and must have played a huge role in getting Turbo his first professional win.

Libertine Seguros said:
The last two stages were the ones on a weekend, and the last two stages were the only ones that looked like they might be interesting.

Was this a good race, in your opinion, and if so, why?
The thing is you has said this Dauphiné parcours was terrible, so TBH I didn't think you'd watch. So it's very contradicting that you actually did :eek:

I don't think it was a good race. Main reason: every rider has his own agenda prep for the Tour and Sky. I was watching to see who's in form and who's not, that's all.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I hear ya, this season has been a very disappointing affair, it is difficult to not complain and lose interest. And the tactics and style of riding the last year has been most disappointing (I call it the non-contador racing style).

And then looking at the tour route is just depressing really :(
The Tour route will either force people to attack left and right, making it a highly entertaining race (even if they can't break the time-trialers)... or everybody will keep racing the same way, perfectly content to not have the tiniest chance of winning, and it'll be the most boring thing ever.

Seeing the current trend in cycling, I think it's worth giving such a route a try. Worst case scenario, it won't be worse than the Giro.

May 16, 2010
Visit site
There's been a lot of discontent and grumbling about the quality of the racing this year, some of it is even justified, but it's clear the grumblers forget something.

We are watching Pros race, not Trick-cyclists.

They are paid to get results, not to entertain pundits.

Just put yourself in their shoes, and you'll begin to see why they do what they do. And hopefully benefit from a tad more enjoyment watching from your sofa.

hrotha said:
The Tour route will either force people to attack left and right, making it a highly entertaining race (even if they can't break the time-trialers)... or everybody will keep racing the same way, perfectly content to not have the tiniest chance of winning, and it'll be the most boring thing ever.

Seeing the current trend in cycling, I think it's worth giving such a route a try. Worst case scenario, it won't be worse than the Giro.

Worst case scenario is definitely worse than the Giro. I'm so glad there isn't a TTT in the Tour, that would be a major catastrophe for everyone who watches the sport

webvan said:
Nice finish, don't think anyone mentioned it but Menchov was in the front today on the Corbier, good news for the Tour.
He still managed to finish 2 minutes down on Moreno...

41 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 0:02:17
42 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale
43 Denis Menchov (Rus) Katusha Team

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
With these participants, a parcours that might improve the race simply doesn't exist. A Better parcours could have made profiles look "tastier", but not riders to do something.

Trunnions said:
There's been a lot of discontent and grumbling about the quality of the racing this year, some of it is even justified, but it's clear the grumblers forget something.

We are watching Pros race, not Trick-cyclists.

They are paid to get results, not to entertain pundits.

Just put yourself in their shoes, and you'll begin to see why they do what they do. And hopefully benefit from a tad more enjoyment watching from your sofa.

I know they're not pro wrestlers, so their value is not directly related to how entertaining they are.

But the race organisers need their races to be successful to be viable, and to be successful they need to have fans. And we as fans don't watch out of duty, but because we want to be entertained. Therefore we should be able to call them out when what they're serving up isn't very entertaining. We hardcore fans may come back for more, but casual fans may not.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Considering the crappy parcour, the rider's actually raced really well this Dauphine. There were three mountain stages where favourites started racing and attacking, the reason it didn't result in much in the end is mainly the fact that these mountain stages were designed even poorer than the ones in the TDF this year. If they race like this in the couple of decent mountain stages in the TDF it will be great. Attacking on descents, penultimate climbs etc.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Cadel showing us why he is the favourite for le tour;)
Didn't expect him to win anyway.

So when Wiggins loses ground its always because he does not bother?;)

dlwssonic said:
Cadel showing us why he is the favourite for le tour;)
Didn't expect him to win anyway.

So when Wiggins loses ground its always because he does not bother?;)

You can't have it both ways though. If you extrapolate from the Dauphine to the Tour, taking 10 seconds every other stage won't get Evans the win if he loses minutes in the TTs.

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I know they're not pro wrestlers, so their value is not directly related to how entertaining they are.

But the race organisers need their races to be successful to be viable, and to be successful they need to have fans. And we as fans don't watch out of duty, but because we want to be entertained. Therefore we should be able to call them out when what they're serving up isn't very entertaining. We hardcore fans may come back for more, but casual fans may not.

Yes, I understand your views, but look what happened to First Class Cricket when Mr. Packer thought it needed to be made "more entertaining".

One-Day matches, limited overs, 20:20, coloured clothes, and dancing girls.

Now we have the Indian "Premiere League" version of Cricket, and the Indians lap it up.

But for any real Cricket lover, NONE of the above are cricket.

I have been know to literally cross the world to view a genuine cricket match in the distant past. But today I wouldn't cross the road to be handed a free ticket to a modern "First Class Match". It's been de-valued that much.

Your logic, will ensure cycling follows the same fate.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
spalco said:
You can't have it both ways though. If you extrapolate from the Dauphine to the Tour, taking 10 seconds every other stage won't get Evans the win if he loses minutes in the TTs.

Like Timmy said this race is just a training session.
Evans lost 1 minute 20seconds to tony in the dauphine and then lost 7 seconds in le tour on the exact same TT even though he took it safe in the last few parts.
Do you really think evans will lose that much time to wiggins in the tdf TTs??
Yeah for the hill top finishes like today the gap between wiggins and evans will be small.
But its the MTF which are more important.

TRENDING THREADS