• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cuisine Corner

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
krebs303 said:
Carnitas. refried beans with jalapeno, cold rice salad with onions,calif. olives.corn, cilantro. cumin vinaigrette

018.JPG

you're killing me dude. gimme some right now...:D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
This is my wife's creation, based on another Jamie Oliver special: Grilled fillet steak with sweet lima beans and leek. Scrumptious.

DSC_0777.jpg

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Watched the highlights of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution really scary to watch the resistance he had in W.Virginia. I am not sure what the outcome will be but if 1 out of 2 adults in Huntington W.VA is obese they need some kind of help.

fatandfast said:
Watched the highlights of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution really scary to watch the resistance he had in W.Virginia. I am not sure what the outcome will be but if 1 out of 2 adults in Huntington W.VA is obese they need some kind of help.

I watched it also. I think it's more about poverty than it is ignorance. I kept hearing stuff about not being able to afford high quality veggies, and fruits, and when people don't buy those things, economics dictates to the food buyers at the supermarket not to stock them. I am well aware of the steep rise in food costs, especially the good stuff. Even here in So Cal, organic Tomatoes are like gold and I can usually grow them myself 8 months out of the year. The tone of the program took a bad turn when he was holding up various fruits and veggies and the kids did not know what they were. After that, in subsequent interviews with the likes of Larry King, Jamie might as well have just said "These people are just stupid", that was basically the point he was trying to make.

A

Anonymous

Didn't see it myself but....

shawnrohrbach said:
I watched it also. I think it's more about poverty than it is ignorance. I kept hearing stuff about not being able to afford high quality veggies, and fruits, and when people don't buy those things, economics dictates to the food buyers at the supermarket not to stock them. I am well aware of the steep rise in food costs, especially the good stuff. Even here in So Cal, organic Tomatoes are like gold and I can usually grow them myself 8 months out of the year. The tone of the program took a bad turn when he was holding up various fruits and veggies and the kids did not know what they were. After that, in subsequent interviews with the likes of Larry King, Jamie might as well have just said "These people are just stupid", that was basically the point he was trying to make.

just maybe the "stupidity" was resistanced to Mr O himself. Put some prancing nancy boy Brit saying "brilliant" every other word in front of W.V. hillbillies and its a wonder they said anything.

fatandfast said:

here in Orange County seeing a not overweight latina is rare, the kids are going the same way. Cheetos are the drug of choice. too bad, for sure.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
I lived on $394 a month for the last year and believe me nutrition was not on my mind when i went to the store the stuff that is filling and cheap is not the best. I lived on rice,beans,peanut butter,jelly and saltine crackers.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
I lived on $394 a month for the last year and believe me nutrition was not on my mind when i went to the store the stuff that is filling and cheap is not the best. I lived on rice,beans,peanut butter,jelly and saltine crackers.

If you want to treat yourself on the cheap...Chicken Pie shop on El Cajon blvd. Pie dinner with an extra pie. I used to go to the all you can eat at the Krishna Temple in PB some amazing cheap food made with wholesome stuff

krebs303 said:

rice and beans are a staple for me too. potatoes and pasta as well. my neighbors are mostly from Mexico and they feed the kids a lot of junk food. i think because they grew up without and want the kids to have what they did not have. having said that, they are great parents and the kids are well behaved, mostly. they don't seem to pay attention to better food choices, though.
pb&j rocks.

fatandfast said:
If you want to treat yourself on the cheap...Chicken Pie shop on El Cajon blvd. Pie dinner with an extra pie. I used to go to the all you can eat at the Krishna Temple in PB some amazing cheap food made with wholesome stuff
My first year here in Sandy Eggo I lived a block from the Chicken Pie place and got addicted. Ya gotta go out and ride like hellfire afterward, but it's worth it and very cheap. 2 people can get stuffed full for about ten bucks. I love the old ladies who work there; classic fifties hair dos and old fashioned service.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Krebs, you weren't affected by the earthquake at all? I was in a much milder one in SLC, UT in the early 90's that shook dishes out of the cabinets and moved the espresso machine about a foot down the countertop.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Krebs, you weren't affected by the earthquake at all? I was in a much milder one in SLC, UT in the early 90's that shook dishes out of the cabinets and moved the espresso machine about a foot down the countertop.

A new crack in a retaining a wall. It shook a loooong time. But being from Los Angeles. I have been through many. Sylmar, Northridge,Whittier,etc.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Keep those pics of your dishes coming brother. You are to this thread what ScottSoCal is to the Babes on Bikes thread.

Damn, I'm hungry!!! All I had this morning was a bowl of Cheerios with some banana. Gotta start carb loading, I've got a Century of gravel roads to race on Saturday.