• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cuisine Corner

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Chile Verde
this was the best pic. it looked good in person

004.JPG

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Krebs thanks for posting the green chili looks really great. What is the slang Mexican word for turkey? I saw your last picture but I can't remember the word. I also couldn't find a decent recipe for Strawberry or Pineapple tamales. When I was a kid we used to eat them around Christmas time. Most of the Mexicans in the north east are from Puebla and lots of stuff they make is really tasty some things are slightly different than Frontera type stuff I crave. I am thinking about going west for a Machacca vacation you just can't get it on the east coast.

Mar 16, 2009
the word for turkey I learned growing up was guajolote.
but apparently thatonly pertains to a live bird. in these parts a dead/cooked turkey is pavo. I know what you mean about regional mexican cooking. I can find much better pork carnitas in San Diego than I can here in Rosarito. Ever try any of the cooking of Yucatan. they make a tostada with black beans, pavo, and pickled red onions which is nowhere to be found near me.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Los Cuatros Milpas in Barrio Logan. I used to go to place near the country club in TJ for carnitas. There is some term that Mexicans use that means ... center part or center cut. The place has a really big dining room and has these hot glass cases that look like popcorn machines full of pork.I can't remember the name but it's family style, you have to buy at least a kilo of pork,but it goes pretty fast. Also a place in Chula Vista called Marisol's, they have shrimp a bunch of different ways,Diablo,Ranchero all of them better than the next. I am going to type all this in and end up eating Taco Bell! There is one place here called Centrico in Tribeca. It's owned by the same group that owns Nobu. They make soup and instead of using tripe and hominy, they use yucca and shredded pork in the same dark red broth. It's 14 dollars for a big bowl( that isn't really that big). I have a free anywhere ticket from Southwest I am going to end up using it to fly west and eat. I am weak. 2 guys from CA opened a place here in NYC called Loading Dock...4.25 for a naked fish taco. I have not tried it but I will. Ralph Rubio I miss you.

Mar 16, 2009
Chicken cutlet with Oaxaca (string) cheese,fire roasted tomatoes, garlic, onions, kalamata, olives, capers. Rigatoni with extra virgin olive oil, garlic, Romano cheese, and fresh parsley. salad is dandelions out of the yard, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

006.JPG

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I recently (just now) bought 10 keys of rice for $5/6. Stuff is cheap. I have also realised how much rice this is!

Anyone have any of the Alan Lim Rice Cakes Recipies? I saw them around a while ago, but I can't find the thread.

edit: Also I don't have an oven in my box flat, so preferable no over specific recipies, I think there were some! Thanks

Mar 16, 2009
Big GMaC said:
I recently (just now) bought 10 keys of rice for $5/6. Stuff is cheap. I have also realised how much rice this is!

Anyone have any of the Alan Lim Rice Cakes Recipies? I saw them around a while ago, but I can't find the thread.

edit: Also I don't have an oven in my box flat, so preferable no over specific recipies, I think there were some! Thanks

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?p=116808

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Ok something I have always wondered about, but never asked anyone about:

Whenever I eat eggs, of any kind really, especially Omlettes and Hard Boiled (although similar with fried/scrambled) I almost straight away get a massive headache! Anyone have any reasons why?

Mar 16, 2009
Big GMaC said:
Ok something I have always wondered about, but never asked anyone about:

Whenever I eat eggs, of any kind really, especially Omlettes and Hard Boiled (although similar with fried/scrambled) I almost straight away get a massive headache! Anyone have any reasons why?

Eggs can give people who already have adequate protein in their diets headaches, and the sulfur in eggs can cause pain and pressure as well. Sulfur and protein can improve the health of your skin, and sulfur has antibiotic properties that can help to cure acne, but if you're on a vegetarian diet, or if you're not getting enough fiber in your diet, eggs can give you a headache almost as soon as you eat them

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Eggs can give people who already have adequate protein in their diets headaches, and the sulfur in eggs can cause pain and pressure as well. Sulfur and protein can improve the health of your skin, and sulfur has antibiotic properties that can help to cure acne, but if you're on a vegetarian diet, or if you're not getting enough fiber in your diet, eggs can give you a headache almost as soon as you eat them

I reckon it is the fibre thing rather than the protein. So more oats for me :)

I am a trained cook (not quite a chef) and I focus on upscale Mexican (Central American) cuisine, especially liking green chili sauces, relleno dishes, and barbecuing seafood and flank steak over hardwood coals in a chimnea rather than a gas or conventional charcoal barbeque. I studied under a Honduran chef and he taught me many tricks, and the problem is I can no longer eat standard Mexican (American restaurant style) food like tacos, burritos and enchiladas. I was in Switzerland for a prolonged visit a few years ago and was introduced to a team cook and I taught him some of these dishes. He wrote an email later that year from the road stating his team loved him for changing up the diet. I learned if you need to add sweet mixes to the tequilla, it's bad tequilla. Tequilla, if it is any good, stands better by itself. In spite of current misrepresentation in the news about violence in Mexico, I get down there quite a bit to discover local tequillas that are never sold in the US. I do not cook for a living, but rather write food bits and restaurant reviews and I am seeing a fast growing interest in authentic upscale Central American cuisine.