• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Di Luca tests positive for EPO in OOC test.

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
elduggo said:
has David Walsh made any comment on this yet?

I think di Luca has given Sky a 'get out of jail card' though. He said 90% of the peloton dope. Clearly the 10% that don't are Team Sky.

Don't think so small!. The 10% is the rider who is at that moment answering the questions of the journalists.

Quite frankly these kind of outings suck unless they can substantiated. All it will do is make sure everyone is back in the trenches.

As a side note, he actualy implies 100% are doping, just that the 10% not doping at the Giro will do so at the race they do target :rolleyes:

BroDeal said:
Actually Landis did in effect say everyone was doing it. Landis' attitude about doping seems to be about the same as DiLuca's.
But Landis backed it up. Di Luca hasn't so far.

I have no problem with the message itself (if that's the truth, so be it; it's hardly surprising), but the delivery ain't good.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
But Landis backed it up. Di Luca hasn't so far.

Also, Landis wasn't exactly believable for the public (especially since the horrible Lemond incident). In the end the evidence had influence on the reasoned decision, but that is discounting a heap of other testimonies.

I have no problem with the message itself (if that's the truth, so be it; it's hardly surprising), but the delivery ain't good.

And the agent does not help.... It's all to easy to dismiss it. Unless he went to the Italian authorities and gave hard evidence this will most likely not yield much results.

But that's my current opinion, so far there's no information, so let's wait and see.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Franklin said:
Also, Landis wasn't exactly believable for the public (especially since the horrible Lemond incident). In the end the evidence had influence on the reasoned decision, but that is discounting a heap of other testimonies.

And the agent does not help.... It's all to easy to dismiss it. Unless he went to the Italian authorities and gave hard evidence this will most likely not yield much results.

But that's my current opinion, so far there's no information, so let's wait and see.

Landis got the ball rolling though didn't he? At least in public anyway then TH kept it going on TV and then came the USADA decision.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
elduggo said:
has David Walsh made any comment on this yet?

I think di Luca has given Sky a 'get out of jail card' though. He said 90% of the peloton dope. Clearly the 10% that don't are Team Sky.

If anything Danilo says Wiggins and Sky didn't care about the Giro.

He said 10 % weren't doped at the Giro, because they weren't targeting the Giro. So they were doped for some other race, ergo ca. 100 % of the peloton dope through the year.

"that 10 percent don't care about the Giro d'Italia, they are preparing for other races and therefore not doping."

Cyivel said:
vyfCP7V.jpg

I favor riders speaking out, but methinks Talansky spends too much time with the likes of Danielson, Epodal and the great Hunter.

maltiv said:
Indeed. Not hard to prove the last one wrong, doping has extremely different effects on different people and completely transforms the result sheet. It's just a typical dopers excuse that it doesn't "change anything" because everyone does it, but that's simply not true.

Maybe he is saying it because he was personally accused by Cipo was it, as someone who would not win squat without dope with the - Basso was a talent who doped, Di Luca just doped, comment that LS often brings up.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
I favor riders speaking out, but methinks Talansky spends too much time with the likes of Danielson, Epodal and the great Hunter.

Talansky is an idiot and hardly screams he is clean by slamming Di Luca while bigging up Leipheimer.

Di Luca is majorly p!$$ed off at being picked upon and getting caught yet again and also wonders why he has to take the fall, when so many others are doing exactly the same as him. It is a mixture of misfortune and stupidty.

I for one have no doubts that Di Luca is close when he says 90%, I reckon it is higher. When we look at anti dopings resources and how the culture to dope has not been changed it is very likely that well over 90% are doping in GTs if not all the major races.

Hit the nail on the head here. From what I understand there is no difference now to 10 years ago.

Benotti69 said:
Talansky is an idiot and hardly screams he is clean by slamming Di Luca while bigging up Leipheimer.

Di Luca is majorly p!$$ed off at being picked upon and getting caught yet again and also wonders why he has to take the fall, when so many others are doing exactly the same as him. It is a mixture of misfortune and stupidty.

I for one have no doubts that Di Luca is close when he says 90%, I reckon it is higher. When we look at anti dopings resources and how the culture to dope has not been changed it is very likely that well over 90% are doping in GTs if not all the major races.

Remember that Di Luca got off his earlier ban by spilling some beans. He should know that these interviews and blanket statements are ineffectual in real terms. He knows from experience that names, dates, and corroboration are what matter. Without that procedure and protocol, his interview's only purpose could be to lessen the public image of his dent on cycling.

I think people are starting from a wrong premise: that Di Luca talked. He barely did that. I bet many of those riders who are throwing mud at him are actually grateful that he went at it this way instead of actually saying something.

I will not put Di Luca at the same level as Landis, Hamilton, Manzano or Jaksche, no sir.

hrotha said:
I think people are starting from a wrong premise: that Di Luca talked. He barely did that. I bet many of those riders who are throwing mud at him are actually grateful that he went at it this way instead of actually saying something.

I will not put Di Luca at the same level as Landis, Hamilton, Manzano or Jaksche, no sir.

Give it time, he might end up just as loveable.

movingtarget said:
Give it time, he might end up just as loveable.
Perhaps, but this isn't a good start, and I can only judge from what we've seen.

He has a lot to make up for. Like that story about the reformed Di Luca and the Catholic priest who helped him see the light. Right now he's more at home with Armstrong than with Landis, as far as confessions go.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:

Give it time. Di Luca is probably firing a warning shot across the bow of cycling. Their reaction will probably determine his next step. Will they castigate him or will they keep quiet?

I want to see Di Luca name names.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
More Strides than Rides said:
Remember that Di Luca got off his earlier ban by spilling some beans. He should know that these interviews and blanket statements are ineffectual in real terms. He knows from experience that names, dates, and corroboration are what matter. Without that procedure and protocol, his interview's only purpose could be to lessen the public image of his dent on cycling.

According to himself he wasn't giving any names when he cooperated with CONI to get his ban shortened after he tested positive in the 2009 Giro d'Italia. He only spoke about himself. Which seems plausible, not only because that is what Di Luca does, speaks about himself, but also because there were no sings of anyone else getting into trouble over his confessions.

Non ho mai fatto nomi, ho sempre spiegato come funziona il doping ma non chi faceva doping. Quindi sono stato accolto come se non fosse successo nulla.

Still I think you'd have to be extra ordinary foolish to talk with Di Luca about your own doping after that. He'd already been caught several times and cooperated with CONI. If he were to be caught again he wouldn't be let back into cycling. He wouldn't have anything to lose by spilling the beans. Neither Di Luca nor Rasmussen knows much about what has been going on in cycling over the last years, letting them know anything was too much of a risk.

Anyway, compared to the best riders, that Di Luca seems a bit stupid isn't he : caught for CERA one year after everyone stopped using it, caught for 'ordinary' EPO because he made miscalculations in the timing of his injection. My God !
If every doper was that stupid, fighting doping in cycling would be easy :p

happychappy said:
Totally agree. The types of drugs are changing, but the reasons for taking them never will.

sigh
agree with you happychappy

and thanks for the translation number0

DiLuca is certifiably nuts because he says Armstrong would have won the tours w/o doping….unless he means that wonderboy had it so rigged that he couldn't have lost..

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
In the interview, according to Gazzetta dello Sport, Di Luca states that 90 per cent of the 200 riders in the Giro d'Italia were doping, and that if 10 per cent are not, "that 10 percent don't care about the Giro d'Italia, they are preparing for other races and therefore not doping."

"It's impossible to finish in the top 10 in the Giro d'Italia and not dope."

that might be the first time I actually believe what he's saying :mad:

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
the problem is that he wants to keep the giro win so a full confession is unlikely imo.

I guess we should wait and watch the interview, but if he doesnt elaborate more then he might has well have pulled those numbers out of thin air. pretty worthless.

Gregga said:
Anyway, compared to the best riders, that Di Luca seems a bit stupid isn't he : caught for CERA one year after everyone stopped using it, caught for 'ordinary' EPO because he made miscalculations in the timing of his injection. My God !
If every doper was that stupid, fighting doping in cycling would be easy :p

Guess it's more Dr. Carlo Santuccione getting a bit too old, isn't it!?

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
He also talks about a motor inside of the bicycle, I thought it was just an urban legend? Would this be used a lot?

I don't speak Italian so I used a translator:

What is the history of the bike with the engine? È possibile? Is it possible?
"Certo che lo ritengo possibile". "Of course I can."

Cioè? What? Spiegaci. Explain.
"Lo ritengo possibile perché c'era troppa differenza. Il doping non ti può dare quella differenza". "I think that is possible because there was too much difference. Doping can not give you the difference."

L'hai mai vista una bici col motore? Have you ever seen a bike with the engine?
"Il motore so com'è fatto. Sono stati inventati credo 5/6 anni fa, si possono inserire dentro la bicicletta, quindi sono molto piccoli. Possano dare 150 watt di potenza". "The engine know how it is done. Were invented think 5/6 years ago, you can enter into the bike, so they are very small. May give 150 watts of power."

E non se ne accorge nessuno? And if nobody notices? Non ci sono i controlli? There are no controls?
"Prima non si facevano perché non si sapeva. Quando si è iniziato a vociferare di questo motorino hanno iniziato". "Before it did so because they did not know. When you started this rumor of motor started."

TRENDING THREADS