• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Di Luca tests positive for EPO in OOC test.

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the sceptic said:
the problem is that he wants to keep the giro win so a full confession is unlikely imo.

I guess we should wait and watch the interview, but if he doesnt elaborate more then he might has well have pulled those numbers out of thin air. pretty worthless.

Where exaclty would he get those figures considering he also said that doping has become a lot more secretive nowadays. How would he know who is doing what? My guess is he doesn't have a clue but it kinda excuses what he did. As others have said Di Luca sounds more like Armstrong than any of the other confessors.

I was a big fan of Di Luca. It is sad to see in what he has becomed.
He lie, but the sad it is that he maybe think that he dont lie a lot...maybe he really think things didnt change, couse he was out and latter in a bad team...but lot of people talked about his doping inside peloton.

But anyway I think he know he is lying to protect his own image.

I came to edit one thing, but it already edited.

Gregga said:
Anyway, compared to the best riders, that Di Luca seems a bit stupid isn't he : caught for CERA one year after everyone stopped using it, caught for 'ordinary' EPO because he made miscalculations in the timing of his injection. My God !
If every doper was that stupid, fighting doping in cycling would be easy :p

Probably just the legacy that after Oil for Drugs and the Giro win in 2007, once Liquigas didn't want to keep him and he ended up at ProConti teams, there wasn't the budget for a big high-tech doping program. With the CERA, he pointed out how stupid it would be to take it at that point in 2009 when everybody knew it was detectable thanks to Schumacher and Riccò, and when it had such a long half-life; and queried why bearing in mind the long half-life of CERA why only 2 of his 6 tests came back positive. This suggests probable transfusions of blood bags withdrawn before the CERA had descended below the detectable margin.

When he returned from the CERA suspension in 2011, look at the difference in results he gets on Катюша to those on Acqua e Sapone in 2012. With Катюша he DNFed a bunch of stage races outside Italy, managed a few placements in hilly stages of the Giro, Suisse and Tirreno-Adriatico, but that's all. With Acqua e Sapone he triples his CQ points tally despite no Giro invite - he's getting similar placements in the early season, then starts picking up podiums and wins later on. The 2012 score is still way below what he had been getting earlier in his career, but doesn't stand out as much as 2011. Now I don't mean to say that Катюша are a clean team, but the World Tour teams are liable to get more testing going on, one would think.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Where exaclty would he get those figures considering he also said that doping has become a lot more secretive nowadays. How would he know who is doing what? My guess is he doesn't have a clue but it kinda excuses what he did. As others have said Di Luca sounds more like Armstrong than any of the other confessors.

He has been around a long time, knows a lot of people in the sport. As a doper he was always going to be trying to keep himself knowledgable about the latest techniques. Also as a doper using dope and knowing his own ability he would be able to measure himself against others.

Di Luca is more right than wrong. The culture to dope has not changed. Look who runs the teams, the doctors they use, soigneurs making money dealing or as dope couriers etc etc. It takes something massive to change that culture. It has not happened.Anti doping is way behind the PEDs.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
The Katusha bit is something I was wondering about myself. If he tried to ride clean/cleanish for them after returning from his ban. Or if he was just a marked man, getting tested a lot and not able to take so many chances. Or if he actually did mean to turn over a new leaf after the PR show with the priest and speaking to the children about doping, but then that only lasted so long.

Hopefully more of his story will come out in tonight's show. So far the transcript and clips that we saw yesterday were only excerpts to publicize the full interview tonight (at least, that's my understanding).

May 26, 2010
Visit site
trevim said:
Great comments from Talansky, now I know why he's the Pitbull.
“I feel genuine hatred towards Di Luca. He's a worthless lying scumbag making false statements that hurt the sport I love.”
I love guys with big mouths :D

But then he loves Armstrong and criticised USADA and said nothing about Leipheimer and all those known dopers on Garmin.

Talansky another hypocrite in the sport.

pmcg76 said:
Where exaclty would he get those figures considering he also said that doping has become a lot more secretive nowadays. How would he know who is doing what?

And yet, PED technology passes from athlete-to-athlete somehow. Information probably moves slower than the early 2000's, but there's no doubt it still is shared.

pmcg76 said:
My guess is he doesn't have a clue but it kinda excuses what he did. As others have said Di Luca sounds more like Armstrong than any of the other confessors.

Let's hope he has already delivered real information to his national WADA agency.

There is a very common attitude that goes something like, "It's not doping if you don't get caught." Di Luca, like Armstrong, and Landis seem to operate like that. These personalities are toxic to any goodwill and sense of fair play the sport's federation tries to create. This goes back to the failed ways the federation operates more than anything else.

In the meantime, maybe some more pro cyclists can personally attack him and claim he's bringing controversy to get a tell-all book deal. That's never been done before.

Beech Mtn said:
The Katusha bit is something I was wondering about myself. If he tried to ride clean/cleanish for them after returning from his ban. Or if he was just a marked man, getting tested a lot and not able to take so many chances. Or if he actually did mean to turn over a new leaf after the PR show with the priest and speaking to the children about doping, but then that only lasted so long.

Hopefully more of his story will come out in tonight's show. So far the transcript and clips that we saw yesterday were only excerpts to publicize the full interview tonight (at least, that's my understanding).

Of the whole sorry career of Di Luca, this was the worst:mad: not the doping.

Benotti69 said:
He has been around a long time, knows a lot of people in the sport. As a doper he was always going to be trying to keep himself knowledgable about the latest techniques. Also as a doper using dope and knowing his own ability he would be able to measure himself against others.

Di Luca is more right than wrong. The culture to dope has not changed. Look who runs the teams, the doctors they use, soigneurs making money dealing or as dope couriers etc etc. It takes something massive to change that culture. It has not happened.Anti doping is way behind the PEDs.

Blah, blah, blah, change the record occasionally sometime, you are the ultimate bot on this forum, repeating the same 3-4 sentences over and over and over, no analysis, no insight, just the same stuff again and again.

I have given you the very real life example of Northern Ireland where the same people are mostly running the show but the situation is very different from 20 years ago.

Of course the last time out you tried to claim NI has not changed. Fact. Things change, people change, circumstances change, to try and deny that is the denial of reality.

I have no clue of how good or bad things are currently but I know from actually talking with someone who has some insight, it is nowhere near as bad as Di Luca is making out.

Even Di Luca himself says things have changed in that doping has become much more secretive. That is a big change from the EPO days of Festina etc where everybody knew everything. Now riders don't know what is going on outside of their little clique.

I am sure Di Luca has inside info on some riders in the current peloton, it will be far from 90% of them though. He needs to talk to have any credibility.

Benotti69 said:
But then he loves Armstrong and criticised USADA and said nothing about Leipheimer and all those known dopers on Garmin.

I agree with you, but I prefer this sort of comment than the usual "that's the past, it's all clean now".It's entertaining.
Netserk said:
I love girls with a big mouth, but that is for a different reason ;)
If you put it that way, I have to agree with you :D

pmcg76 said:
I have given you the very real life example of Northern Ireland where the same people are mostly running the show but the situation is very different from 20 years ago.

Hopefully, it is better in your region.

pmcg76 said:
I have no clue of how good or bad things are currently but I know from actually talking with someone who has some insight, it is nowhere near as bad as Di Luca is making out.

Please explain how the 2013 Vuelta podium is the cleanest peloton ever. If you don't want to use that, then explain the Giro or Tour de France podiums.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Blah, blah, blah, change the record occasionally sometime, you are the ultimate bot on this forum, repeating the same 3-4 sentences over and over and over, no analysis, no insight, just the same stuff again and again.

<snip>

Even Di Luca himself says things have changed in that doping has become much more secretive. That is a big change from the EPO days of Festina etc where everybody knew everything. Now riders don't know what is going on outside of their little clique.

I am sure Di Luca has inside info on some riders in the current peloton, it will be far from 90% of them though. He needs to talk to have any credibility.

Wegelius said this

“The whole cycling community has taken really big strides towards facing this problem."

Can you point to the big strides?

Where has the culture of doping stopped.

DirtyWorks said:
Hopefully, it is better in your region.

Please explain how the 2013 Vuelta podium is the cleanest peloton ever. If you don't want to use that, then explain the Giro or Tour de France podiums.

But why look at just GT podiums, what fraction of the sport do they represent?? I am talking about the whole Pro scene. Maybe only 10% are doping but perhaps they are the guys on the podium at GTs. All I ever hear on here is nothing has changed but then all the talk is about Froome, Horner and a handful of other guys. Maybe things are GT podium level haven't changed but they may have changed elsewhere.

It might be sad that dopers are perhaps dominating GTs but that still doesn't discount the possibility that the whole of the sport has improved considerably.

As for the same DS, same soigneurs=no change. I am pretty sure that Lfdjeux are considered one of the teams more likely to be clean on here yet they are run by the same management team who were in charge in 97 when Rebellin, Gianetti, D'Hondt were at the team.

In 2007 Bob Stapelton came in and took over T-Mobile, at the time Jorg Jaksche welcomed this saying Stapelton was an outsider who was not part of the contaminated cycling world, thus he could and did change things(Jaksche's words). Very few people seem to believe High Road were cleaner.

Benotti69 said:
Wegelius said this

That is a bit like saying 'Can you prove that God doesn't exist'

Can you point to how it hasn't changed?? A few positive test's don't mean there hasn't been an improvement. Even in a country with low crime, there will still be crime.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Your banging would be better if you didn't deny facts like public, sponsors and unions having changed attitude.

FACTS

Nobody in his right mind claims the problem is gone, but denying nothing changed is *** and absolutely false. Denial is just bizarre.

Benotti69 said:
Wegelius said this

You don't know and neither do I. But everybody seems to agree that is not out in the open like it used to be. It is secretive. So it is hard to know anyway. Until we hit another big scandal it would be hard to know.

It does not bode well for Di Luca that everybody was suspicious of Santambrogio
and he was caught. That's a little stride. What about that other Turkish rider that was caught and that most riders were suspicious? He was caught too. That's another small stride.

The only one that leaves me confused is Froome but at least he has the money and people to do it. Not many riders have that. So that shows that it cannot be the majority like Di Luca is painting it to be.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
You don't know and neither do I. But everybody seems to agree that is not out in the open like it used to be. It is secretive. So it is hard to know anyway. Until we hit another big scandal it would be hard to know.

Well, there you have it... you disagree with Benotti as you actually claim it has changed. :D

Benotti69 said:

You have to do a line after and before 2011 (to put one date, becouse you can put it even in 2008) People cheating after 2011 or saying cycling is dirty deserve that words, and people cheating before that, deserve another words. For me is the same... For me Lance is far from Di Luca now, he cheated as most of the peloton, and he said now is clean.. Di Luca cheated when just few people did and he lie to save his image.

Lance was a bad thing for cycling, Di Luca is a very bad thing.
it is normal than Talansky has his sympathy with Lance, he has been the reference for all the young riders there...

It is the same here with Indurain or Perico, if tomorrow someone proof they doped, I am not going to change that perception of idols... I could change my mind (I did it) a little, but no more. it was that time...

There will always be outsiders in everything. There is currently a thread about Sebastian Salas who rode for Kelly Benefit in the US, this team have a very good reputation as a clean team with a DS, Jonas Carney who has a strong anti-doping ethic yet it now turns out that one their riders was doping. Clealry they didn't know about possible doping before the story broke. I know there are a few posters who would confirm that Kelly Benefit have a good rep.

Taxus4a said:
You have to do a line after and before 2011 (to put one date, becouse you can put it even in 2008) People cheating after 2011 or saying cycling is dirty deserve that words, and people cheating before that, deserve another words. For me is the same... For me Lance is far from Di Luca now, he cheated as most of the peloton, and he said now is clean.. Di Luca cheated when just few people did and he lie to save his image.

Lance was a bad thing for cycling, Di Luca is a very bad thing.
it is normal than Talansky has his sympathy with Lance, he has been the reference for all the young riders there...

It is the same here with Indurain or Perico, if tomorrow someone proof they doped, I am not going to change that perception of idols... I could change my mind (I did it) a little, but no more. it was that time...

To you they are clean?

TRENDING THREADS