• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping In Athletics

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Bwlch y Groes said:
Singer01 said:
Bwlch y Groes said:
Don't know about doping but the finish of that women's 400m was suspect. Shaunae Miller-Uibo just stopped. Didn't look injured. Didn't look particularly gutted having lost an easy win
unusual is not the same as suspect, saying 'suspect' in the clinic implies that it looks like it has something to do with doping, how does this look like it has anything to do with doping?

I don't think it has anything to do with doping but I think it's a bit suspicious. I'm not saying she definitely threw the race but I think it has to be considered a possibility. Race-fixing never gets talked about in athletics but I'm sure it happens

Watch the video of her running the last 50 metres in slow motion. She's really struggling to raise her right knee, left leg looks just fine. This is not at all indicative of some one slowing down on purpose, unless she is a sublime actor. Most likely a cramp or some small muscle issue just preventing movement.

Nothing to see here.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
You haven't had or seen many cramps in your life then. She didnt grab her leg to splint it. Nor any kind of stretching post finish as you would do for cramp.

Also, if it was a cramp why did she say she tripped.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
You haven't had or seen many cramps in your life then. She didnt grab her leg to splint it. Nor any kind of stretching post finish as you would do for cramp.

Also, if it was a cramp why did she say she tripped.

Yeah fair enough on the cramp. There certainly is a small trip, however I maintain she doesn't look like shes raising her right leg properly which leads me to believe some sort of issue. Trip + poor running form after does not look like a case of race fixing to me in any way.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Poor running form after?
Miller-Uibo was equal fastest qualifier in the 200m.

The "I tripped" excuse, you cannot possibly take it seriously.
Observers were left guessing what happened. But nobody to my knowledge said "she tripped".
If anything, it looked like bad acting. Weder Fleisch noch Fisch.

If you can be bothered, rewatch Thompson in the women's 100 meter final.
Seems to just come up straight about 50/60m.
Johnson put it down to bad transition but it just looks odd.

On that note, I thought Makwala yesterday in the 200 meter final was 'running not to win', too.

And have you noticed Jamaican athletes (men/women) being almost completely absent from 200m running events?

Some of those issues maybe coincidence. But this being IAAF, and doping+cover-ups being rife, everything is possible.

Has to be cleanz right?

wEHVnN9eJeEL-3nnyfJzbYPWnkK1rGDJ1PCxd9oIFjw.jpg

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Banning nations is idiocy and purely political/PR.

From a rational POV any athlete at top level have already made - and rationalized the decision to do what it takes to compete with the best.
Looking at history that involves doping, at the very least.

That doesnt mean we can't appreciate their efforts - and the entertainment as a whole. I am sure it isn't easy, even doped up to the gills.

The corruption, politics, blindfold and gross monetizing is more appaling to me than the dope per se. But everything is interlinked of course.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
Poor running form after?
Miller-Uibo was equal fastest qualifier in the 200m.

The "I tripped" excuse, you cannot possibly take it seriously.
Observers were left guessing what happened. But nobody to my knowledge said "she tripped".
If anything, it looked like bad acting. Weder Fleisch noch Fisch.

If you can be bothered, rewatch Thompson in the women's 100 meter final.
Seems to just come up straight about 50/60m.
Johnson put it down to bad transition but it just looks odd.

On that note, I thought Makwala yesterday in the 200 meter final was 'running not to win', too.

And have you noticed Jamaican athletes (men/women) being almost completely absent from 200m running events?

Some of those issues maybe coincidence. But this being IAAF, and doping+cover-ups being rife, everything is possible.
Something def not right here. It does look like people throwing races but I'm left wondering why ? My first thought was betting but those guys(Bookies) call out any strange patterns so ruling that one out. Second thought was leaning towards athletes not wanting to be tested after winning (told not to win or they would come up positive).
The book should be open on who will be done for positives as Seb et al need to have a sacrificial lamb or two. Money on you might see a couple of women sprinters

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

mrhender said:
There are many reasons why. See the link i posted above, on study showing massive athlete concern over match fixing. It is real.
Agree it probably happens but on a world stage and so obviously in finals is a stretch. It would tell the bookies to look as its favorites having issues and in finals. One they might get away with but too many for my liking. To throw a race the money would need to be big if betting the issue and is easily found if you know what to look for.
Gut feeling here is something else going on.

Of course it could be a coincidence and I'm just reading this forum too much and its corrupted me :)

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I am not fixed on MF being the reason for the sudden stop. Just pointing out its a likely scenario. Match fixing for betting purposes are just part of the MO. There are many other reasons, see Basso/Armstrong for example.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I was somewhere between laughing and crying yesterday when I saw a certain Odriozola handing out medals on behalf of the IAAF. The subscript below his name said "IAAF treasurer".

Odriozola? Rings a bell.

Odriozola is the former president of Spanish Athletics and the guy who was neckdeep involved in Operacion Galgo, sending athletes to doping coaches and covering their asses after said athletes got caught.
See e.g.
viewtopic.php?p=1672467#p1672467
viewtopic.php?p=1150288#p1150288

Odriozola later also argued for a 50% reduction of antidoping funds in Spanish athletics.
See here:
viewtopic.php?p=1079207#p1079207

I heard Nick Davies' wife also still works for IAAF.
Not to mention the corrupt likes of Garnier and Saugy.

As someone else suggested, it seems that, to get a top federation role, you need to have been through the corruption equivalent of a gang initiation ritual. Much like the head of Spanish cycling fed earned his 'colours' by delivering tainted steak to Contador.

sniper said:
Tim O said:
This post 100m final press conference gets interesting at the 15m07s mark ......

https://youtu.be/nI8jRwLU220
indeed it does.

Here's a very good article about it:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-4785414/amp/Why-athletics-lost-drugs-battle.html
That encounter must have been bad karma as he goes out as a dud with that pulled hamstring in the 4X100. No grand finale, no blowing kisses at the ladies, no Jamaican hip dances, no "Bolt" poses. Crash & burn...bad karma. Lol.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Nomad said:
sniper said:
Tim O said:
This post 100m final press conference gets interesting at the 15m07s mark ......

https://youtu.be/nI8jRwLU220
indeed it does.

Here's a very good article about it:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-4785414/amp/Why-athletics-lost-drugs-battle.html
That encounter must have been bad karma as he goes out as a dud with that pulled hamstring in the 4X100. No grand finale, no blowing kisses at the ladies, no Jamaican hip dances, no "Bolt" poses. Crash & burn...bad karma. Lol.
agree.

For what it's worth, I didn't see anybody pulling his hamstring. I saw somebody faking it.

Here's a reminder of what pulling a hamstring and the aftermath really looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2G8KVzTwfw&feature=youtu.be

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
FFS - Radcliffe bestowing the importance of being transparent just now on thew BBC - I almost lobbed the club-hammer through the screen.

I hope the whole thing unravels and her and Mo are finally proven to be systematic cheats and frauds.

*** the pair of them!

TRENDING THREADS