• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping In Athletics

Page 114 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Mclaughlin can break this record
She needs to actually run races to do that. It's been very frustrating the last couple of years. She'd be a great draw for the sport if she ran more, and outside of just a few select events in the US.
Very hard to do that , and i dont know if she will run hurdles or flat.
Her aim before the injury was to do the flat, most of the press still seems to point in that direction, but I don't know if when she gets back to competition that will change.

Jurgen Schult's record was one of the best in any sport in history, his technique is incredible to watch, juiced to the gills on some of that good East-German sh*t of course, they all ended up falling apart due to Turinabol abuse, I can't believe it was beaten.

I still think El Guerrouj's 1500m is the greatest, perhaps the Women's 100m, but there were question marks about wind speed iirc.

Daniel Komen’s 3000m world record from 1996.

Reactions: Tim Cahill
She needs to actually run races to do that. It's been very frustrating the last couple of years. She'd be a great draw for the sport if she ran more, and outside of just a few select events in the US.

Her aim before the injury was to do the flat, most of the press still seems to point in that direction, but I don't know if when she gets back to competition that will change.
A lot people complain about her lack of races, there are fans who found it very fishy that she almost doesnt race. Lets not forget who is her coach… strange situation

A lot people complain about her lack of races, there are fans who found it very fishy that she almost doesnt race. Lets not forget who is her coach… strange situation
Only ever runs at home events, super-peaks at major championships, has a suspicious coach, recurrent undisclosed or ambiguous injury and illness issues... it's very easy to see why people would suspect her.

At the same time, there's a lot of people who are a bit fed up of the status quo in those events. Femke Bol runs rings around everybody and has beaten everybody other than McLaughlin with ease so many times over that there's no competition left, but no matter what she achieves, every result is greeted by arguments that McLaughlin would have done it better if she was there, and that along with the fact we never get to see them run head to head results in a fair amount of resentment towards McLaughlin that leads people to view those things mentioned above through a more negative prism.

Reactions: snipeheem
Thanks for posting this. Surprised they mention did not have a TUE for EPO? How could they possibly even allow TUEs for blood boosting products?
I thought surely there must have been some kind of an error in the wording in the article or whatnot, but nope, it actually says in the official ruling that Kimutai had no TUE for EPO while at the same time stating that EPO is prohibited at all times by WADA. Crikes, we all know cycling is nuts, but track and field sure does its best to contend. 🤣

Here's the official ruling:

Last edited:
I thought surely there must have been some kind of an error in the wording or whatnot, but nope, it actually says in the official ruling that Kimutai had no TUE for EPO while at the same time stating that EPO is prohibited at all times by WADA. Crikes, we all know cycling is nuts, but track and field sure does its best to contend. 🤣

Wow, thanks for the details. I know there are many reasons for getting treatment with EPO—I’ve been getting it for 6 months. I guess it would be possible got an athlete to have have some kidney damage (kidneys produce our natural EPO) or cancer that required EPO to treat anemia, but those issues would have had to be resolved by the time they are back at the elite competitive level? Just weird.

I thought surely there must have been some kind of an error in the wording or whatnot, but nope, it actually says in the official ruling that Kimutai had no TUE for EPO while at the same time stating that EPO is prohibited at all times by WADA. Crikes, we all know cycling is nuts, but track and field sure does its best to contend. 🤣

It’s not a very well worded official decision document: there are some punctuation errors and it doesn’t make sense to simply state there was a violation for “the detection of EPO.” We all have EPO; so the violation has to be for the presence of a recombinant EPO product.

It’s not a very well worded official decision document: there are some punctuation errors and it doesn’t make sense to simply state there was a violation for “the detection of EPO.” We all have EPO; so the violation has to be for the presence of a recombinant EPO product.
Maybe it was just a generic form where they fill in the blanks (instead of EPO it could be any other medication which could actually be taken with a TUE), it's poorly worded for sure.

Reactions: Sciatic