• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Driving into cyclists the Emma way

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Cycling champion Ethan Boyes dies after being struck by a car in San Francisco

By Mitchell McCluskey and Zoe Sottile, CNN

Published 2:50 PM EDT, Sat April 8, 2023

Ethan Boyes, a championship cyclist, was killed after being hit by a car in San Francisco on Tuesday.
From Ethan Boyes/Instagram
Ethan Boyes, a winner of multiple cycling championships, died after he was struck by a car in San Francisco on Tuesday, according to police.

Boyes was a 10-time national champion and currently holds the world record for men aged 35-39 in the 1,000-meter time trial, according to USA Cycling, the governing body for cycling in the US.

Boyes was cycling on Arguello Boulevard, south of Washington Boulevard in San Francisco’s Presidio Park, at around 4 pm on Tuesday when a car hit him, according to United States Park Police on Saturday. The park police responded to the scene.

Boyes was transferred to the hospital with life-threatening injuries and later pronounced dead, U.S. Park Police told CNN.

The driver of the vehicle was also transported to the hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries, according to police.

The U.S. Park Police are investigating the incident with the US Attorney’s Office.

“We are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Ethan Boyes,” USA Cycling said in a statement on Friday, “His loss will be felt at local, regional, national, and world events for years, as he brought a mixture of competition and friendliness to every race. Our thoughts are with his family and loved ones.”

The Velo Sports Center, where Boyes trained, praised his contributions to the sport of cycling.

“We are devastated and heartbroken to learn of the sudden and untimely loss of Ethan Boyes,” the center wrote on Instagram. “His trademark tuck and blender smooth stroke made him deceptively fast—ask anyone who raced against him. He loved riding and racing the track, and he was exceptional at it.”

The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition also issued a statement mourning Boyes’ death.

“Today, we join the bicycling community in mourning Ethan Boyes, who was struck by a vehicle while riding his bike in the Presidio,” wrote the coalition on Friday. “Ethan was a champion bicycle racer and beloved figure in the bicycling community.”

• Sad
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Strangest thing about the Ethan Boyes case is how many mainstream media outlets chose to run this story. Cyclists get hit and killed every day. They're all important. Why do we suddenly care about this one guy?

The truly macabre events to me are the cases where a truck slams into an entire pack, which happens with alarming frequency.

Strangest thing about the Ethan Boyes case is how many mainstream media outlets chose to run this story. Cyclists get hit and killed every day. They're all important. Why do we suddenly care about this one guy?

The truly macabre events to me are the cases where a truck slams into an entire pack, which happens with alarming frequency.
Agreed.. In the US there are very very few " share the road" communities where the riders and drivers are even aware of the objective. In N.County San Diego local governments reacted to a crummy combo of both pedestrian and cyclists deaths. Is a state of traffic emergency.. were cops hyper enforce regulations for cyclists and vehicles.. San Diego is a cycling paradise with miles of bike paths, huge body of riders of all kinds, awareness campaigns, painted everything on the streets and signs encouraging sharing the road..still have deaths.
San Francisco is a great place to ride bikes, unfortunate math that vehicles cross a deadly intersect while out there w bicycles. There is nothing positive about someone getting rolled over and killed but maybe, hopefully, the reporting will get someone out on the road a little more mindful.

Agreed.. In the US there are very very few " share the road" communities where the riders and drivers are even aware of the objective. In N.County San Diego local governments reacted to a crummy combo of both pedestrian and cyclists deaths. Is a state of traffic emergency.. were cops hyper enforce regulations for cyclists and vehicles.. San Diego is a cycling paradise with miles of bike paths, huge body of riders of all kinds, awareness campaigns, painted everything on the streets and signs encouraging sharing the road..still have deaths.
San Francisco is a great place to ride bikes, unfortunate math that vehicles cross a deadly intersect while out there w bicycles. There is nothing positive about someone getting rolled over and killed but maybe, hopefully, the reporting will get someone out on the road a little more mindful.
Maybe I'll sound woke but it just seems a little racist and/or classist to me. Like would a brown pizza delivery dude on a huffy getting nailed in SF get any kind of media attention at all? Why does someone have to be a (masters) athlete to have a life worth conserving?

Maybe I'll sound woke but it just seems a little racist and/or classist to me. Like would a brown pizza delivery dude on a huffy getting nailed in SF get any kind of media attention at all? Why does someone have to be a (masters) athlete to have a life worth conserving?
It doesn't sound racist, woke, or anything other than human.
In NYC you see guys delivering food as if their life depends on it..here in Baja there are 3,4 recognizable food delivery services.. each person bike or motorcycle wearing a huge square insulated backpack.. they are often killed or injured while doing something like bringing pizza,Chinese food or beer to someone's home.
Seldom reported w back story..In my limited observations.. a trend is to talk about the dangers of E- bikes and the break neck speed and awesome horsepower they generate.. listening to most bike crash or death stories. you would think that 100+ mph,bag of cocaine and a bank robbery happened.. again my limited data set,
I see food delivery in urban areas as over the top, ultra dangerous.. and I see the reporting, or lack thereof as a not so subtle way of saying a few deaths is the cost of doing business.
To vent your anger, to be outraged when you see someone killed, isn't woke,it's supposed to be an involuntary part of the human condition.

Rising star' of US cycling, Magnus White 17, is killed after being struck from behind by a car driven by a woman, 23, while on a training ride near his Colorado home​

• U.S. Junior Men's National Team Cyclist Magnus White has been killed at the age of 17 after being hit by a car while training in his home of Boulder, Colorado
  • USA Cycling issued a statement on Sunday announcing the heartbreaking news of his death days before he was to compete in Scotland
  • White had shown immense promise as a multidisciplinary athlete earning a spot on the U.S. national team
By James Gordon For Dailymail.com and Wires
View comments

A 17-year-old 'rising star' of US cycling who was scheduled to race at the upcoming world championships was killed on Saturday after he was struck by a vehicle whilst out on a training ride near his home in Boulder, Colorado.
Magnus White was hit from behind by a 23-year-old woman who was at the wheel of a Toyota Matrix just after 12:30pm on Saturday.
The collision forced White and his bike off the road and into a fence where his bike came to rest. Colorado State Patrol say speed and alcohol were not factors in the crash.

USA Cycling announced White's death in a statement on Sunday.

'He was a rising star in the off-road cycling scene and his passion for cycling was evident through his racing and camaraderie with his teammates and local community,' the body said in a statement. 'We ride for Magnus.'

'We offer our heartfelt condolences to the White family, his teammates, friends, and the Boulder community during this incredibly difficult time.'

U.S. Junior Men's National Team Cyclist Magnus White has been killed at the age of 17 after being hit by a car while training in his home of Boulder, Colorado

U.S. Junior Men's National Team Cyclist Magnus White has been killed at the age of 17 after being hit by a car while training in his home of Boulder, Colorado
Magnus leaves behind his parents Jill and Michael and his brother Eero

Magnus leaves behind his parents Jill and Michael and his brother Eero
White had shown immense promise as a multidisciplinary athlete earning a spot on the U.S. national team

White had shown immense promise as a multidisciplinary athlete earning a spot on the U.S. national team
White is seen on the podium during the UCI Cyclocross World Championships in 2022

White is seen on the podium during the UCI Cyclocross World Championships in 2022
TRENDING

28.1k viewing now

1.1k viewing now

White was a rising multidisciplinary star, winning the Junior 17-18 Cyclocross National Championships in 2021 and earning a place on the U.S. national team which he called a 'pivotal moment' as it provided him with opportunities to race in Europe.

He went on to compete with the USA Cycling National Team for a full season of European Cyclocross racing and closed out the year at the 2022 UCI Cyclocross World Championship in Arkansas.

He was picked to represent the U.S. again at this year's cyclocross worlds in the Netherlands and this summer he earned a spot on the Mountain Bike World Championships team.

White began to dabble in road cycling and mountain biking this season.

He had been focused on his final preparations before leaving for Glasgow in Scotland to compete in the Junior Men's Mountain Bike Cross-Country World Championships on August 10.

White was on one of his final training rides when the accident occurred on weeks before he was to start his senior year in high school.

White was a rising multidisciplinary star, winning the Junior 17-18 Cyclocross National Championships in 2021 and earning a place on the U.S. national team which he called a 'pivotal moment' as it provided him with opportunities to race in Europe

White was a rising multidisciplinary star, winning the Junior 17-18 Cyclocross National Championships in 2021 and earning a place on the U.S. national team which he called a 'pivotal moment' as it provided him with opportunities to race in Europe
White had been focused on his final preparations before leaving for Glasgow in Scotland to compete in the Junior Men's Mountain Bike Cross-Country World Championships on August 10

White had been focused on his final preparations before leaving for Glasgow in Scotland to compete in the Junior Men's Mountain Bike Cross-Country World Championships on August 10
USA Cycling issued a statement on Sunday announcing the heartbreaking news of his death days before he was to compete in Scotland

USA Cycling issued a statement on Sunday announcing the heartbreaking news of his death days before he was to compete in Scotland
White was on one of his final training rides when the accident occurred on weeks before he was to start his senior year in high school

White was on one of his final training rides when the accident occurred on weeks before he was to start his senior year in high school
White began racing at a national level when he was 10 and credited his father for introducing him to the sport.

'When I was growing up, my dad really got me into cycling because he raced road, then I discovered my local team (Boulder Junior Cycling), which has some really great coaches who got me where I am today,' White said in his profile on the USA Cycling website.

'In the summer of 2023, I am set to embark on a new and exciting chapter of my cycling career: a debut in the international mountain bike racing circuit, proudly wearing the Team USA jersey,' he wrote.

He is survived by his parents, Michael and Jill, and his brother, Eero. A GoFundMe page has been set up to help the family by Christine Lipson, whose son is White's close friend and teammate.

'Magnus was taken from us while doing what he loved most, riding his bike,' Lipson wrote in the appeal.

'Magnus’s family is strong, but support from their community will go a long way to give them time to grieve.

'Magnus’s greatest joy in life was cycling after playing flag football when he was younger. He was also an accomplished skier.

'He began cycling when he was eight and quickly rose through the cycling ranks.

'Magnus’s journey in cycling was driven by a tireless work ethic and a deep desire to achieve his personal best.

'He was proud to represent his community and country around the world.'

Where he was hit, the road has a car width wide shoulder which he was riding within. Cars travel at a pretty high rate of speed there also, however everyone I know would consider it a pretty safe and common place to ride on your way back into town. The girl that hit him must have been paying ZERO attention. Really sad. Rest in peace Maggie.

• Sad
Reactions: jmdirt
Where he was hit, the road has a car width wide shoulder which he was riding within. Cars travel at a pretty high rate of speed there also, however everyone I know would consider it a pretty safe and common place to ride on your way back into town. The girl that hit him must have been paying ZERO attention. Really sad. Rest in peace Maggie.
Nothing is going to change unless they can make serious criminal charges—involuntary manslaughter perhaps in this case—and make them stick, not to be waved off by some judge. Horrendous

Nothing is going to change unless they can make serious criminal charges—involuntary manslaughter perhaps in this case—and make them stick, not to be waved off by some judge. Horrendous
Here in Colorado we have vehicular homicide which carries a sentence of 2-6 years imprisonment. Without drugs or alcohol being involved, which the police seem to have confirmed, along with no excessive speed, the chances of that girl seeing jail time is pretty low. 🤬

Here in Colorado we have vehicular homicide which carries a sentence of 2-6 years imprisonment. Without drugs or alcohol being involved, which the police seem to have confirmed, along with no excessive speed, the chances of that girl seeing jail time is pretty low. 🤬
If she was texting on her cell phone (one possibility) or any other intentional distractions to driving that should count just like drunk driving. But you’re right, I’m sure it won’t.

If she was texting on her cell phone (one possibility) or any other intentional distractions to driving that should count just like drunk driving. But you’re right, I’m sure it won’t.
Overwhelming outreach as a memorial fund campaign reached over @$125,000.
Just speculation, in my opinion not sinister or unhealthy, but vehicles as well as the drivers are bombarded w distractions..15in+ LCD screens and cars filled with other bells and whistles pulling the driver's attention to everything else but paying attention to driving and the road in front of them. And statistics that should stick with all of us distracted and aggressive driving kill more than drunk driving. The public service campaigns to not text and drive are out there but not really at any serious public emergency level, as they mandate.
Can't imagine what his family is going through.. Parents preparing their kid for a once in a lifetime trip to Glasgow and in an instant.. RIP..
Boulder is a great, great place to race and train on a bicycle. The community awareness of bikes has to be some of the highest in the country. There can never be a good explanation for this.

Overwhelming outreach as a memorial fund campaign reached over @$125,000.
Just speculation, in my opinion not sinister or unhealthy, but vehicles as well as the drivers are bombarded w distractions..15in+ LCD screens and cars filled with other bells and whistles pulling the driver's attention to everything else but paying attention to driving and the road in front of them. And statistics that should stick with all of us distracted and aggressive driving kill more than drunk driving. The public service campaigns to not text and drive are out there but not really at any serious public emergency level, as they mandate.
Can't imagine what his family is going through.. Parents preparing their kid for a once in a lifetime trip to Glasgow and in an instant.. RIP..
Boulder is a great, great place to race and train on a bicycle. The community awareness of bikes has to be some of the highest in the country. There can never be a good explanation for this.
Thanks for that comment. And you’re so right about all the distractions.

Last edited:
Have some pretty strong feelings and opinions on the hit and run case for killing Davide Rebellin..reducing it to 3 years is a real insult in my opinion. Have seen multiple recent crashes where the driver pulls over and knows immediately the seriousness of the situation. This guy should feel blessed to serve 6-7 years for running someone over and leaving them for dead

14 year old Kevin Alexander died last weekend after a downhill mountain bike race accident in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico.
Kevin Alexander was from Ensenada and he was an avid racer.
Don't feel right posting any links or details about the young man, if you feel compelled, Facebook has some additional information. Memorial service for him tomorrow in Ensenada. RIP

TRENDING THREADS