• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

(Dutch Beer Race) Amstel Gold Race 2021, 216.7k. Sunday.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Pick the winner.

• Pidcock / Kwiatkowski

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Bagioli / Vansevenant / Alaphilippe

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Schachmann / Schelling

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • van Aert / Roglic

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Valverde

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Hirschi

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Fuglsang

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Matthews

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Hindsgaul Madsen

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • All these choices are ridiculous, I'm making my ballot invalid.

Votes: 12 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good to know, last (and only) time van Aert had a domestique with him in the final of a classic this year, he won. So if the route i too easy for Roglic, he's surely going to be there til the end.
I doubt we'll see him work very directly for a sprint for a long time, but he and Vingegaard should normally cover the moves in the last 3 laps.

It's just a weird race right now. It could be a decently sized sprint in a race without any real sprinters.

If this circuit is quite similar to the Canadian races, then Wellens chances have probably improved. Which could be good for the race, as he's likely to try to force a selection well before the finish?
I mean the AGR probably suits Wellens as well as any race in the world even on the usual course. It's just that he won't usually win by being the outright strongest, both on this and the usual course. But yeah, I have thought about him as a man to watch too. He'll likely try something and might very well be one of the main aggressors tomorrow.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Interesting note in this article about the riders will turn onto an extremely narrow road (lane? path?) with just 3km to go to the finish. Not sure how long they will be the narrow stretch, but it seems it could be a factor in how the finish plays out, and if it’s altogether heading to that juncture, we’ll see some intense action by teams striving to enter that section in the front.

Interesting note in this article about the riders will turn onto an extremely narrow road (lane? path?) with just 3km to go to the finish. Not sure how long they will be the narrow stretch, but it seems it could be a factor in how the finish plays out, and if it’s altogether heading to that juncture, we’ll see some intense action by teams striving to enter that section in the front.
It's the same sequence of narrow roads after the final Geulhemmerberg as the past few years. Would be a good place for a late attack, but positioning for the sprint will only be crucial there if we have a bigger group than, say, 20-25 riders, imo.

Given the lack of sprinters, I'm surprised that Daryl Impey isn't being mentioned anywhere. Been building form nicely too.

It's the same sequence of narrow roads after the final Geulhemmerberg as the past few years. Would be a good place for a late attack, but positioning for the sprint will only be crucial there if we have a bigger group than, say, 20-25 riders, imo.

Given the lack of sprinters, I'm surprised that Daryl Impey isn't being mentioned anywhere. Been building form nicely too.
Good to know.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Perfect Aranburu and Fraile territory :beercheers:

Interesting things had happenened in the women's race where van Vleuten and Uttrup Ludwig were both dropped for a short while, birthday girl van der Breggen has attacked and nearly collided with a moto. They keep on attacking, but no one can make them stick at the moment. 64 km left.

TRENDING THREADS