• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Edvald Boasson Hagen Versus Peter Sagan - Who is the better rider?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
From a breakaway. He wouldn't have been there anymore if he had to face off against the likes of Contador, Schlecks, Cadel Evans, etc

Tony Martin got second on Mont Ventoux. Brice Feillu won a real mountain stage. I can go on and on.

Also won PN, he's not a bad climber at all

El Pistolero said:
What has hills to do with climbing mountains? Gilbert must be one heck of a climber then!

Here's a not so hard hilly stage for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl9u_J-0rwM

i would say performing good for 8km in a mountain is a good indicator of how well he can perfrom elsewhere.

I dont understand what you want to prove with that movie, but if it is to show Gilbert being untouchable in those races, i agree. But that doenst mean some second places on those races for EBH wont mean the difference between a green jersey and not a green jersey in s tour

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
i would say performing good for 8km in a mountain is a good indicator of how well he can perfrom elsewhere.

I dont understand what you want to prove with that movie, but if it is to show Gilbert being untouchable in those races, i agree. But that doenst mean some second places on those races for EBH wont mean the difference between a green jersey and not a green jersy

That vid proofs that EBH has not improved much in the hills last 3 years. It's not like he got second on that stage or even third you know :)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
i am not trying to say that EBH will win LBL god no!

But beeing in the top 5 - 10 in races like amstel i do think is possible and even get top 3 in a rough tdf stage is absolutely possible

But my post was talking about improvement, he was already great in 2008/9 and is still great now. But has he really improved that much in those years?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
Ok, then GP Ouest France proves that Gilbert is terrible in the hills. Gerrans is clearly the better rider on the hills.

Proves he was bad that day. Give me an example of a classic race where EBH was actually good besides G-W? ;)

And no, Vattenvall is not a classic.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
i would say his pauphine could indicate that he has improved yes.
His poor tdf stage in the mountain i think is more of a ba day/fatigue.
Honestly, Hushovd is not better than EBH in the mountains :eek:

But he was in the Tour. Which is more important than a prep race.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
EBH was sick 1 week before the TDF and could barely start at all.

And name me 1 classic EBH has done since 2009 where he was uninjured (and no, worlds is not a classic).

Not my problem he injures or gets sick easily. Why do you think that will ever change? There's always something with this guy...

The Worlds is a classic in everything but name.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
Because it's not normal to get achilles tendonitis every single year. This year he won't go skiing and has spent almost his entire off-season outside of Norway.

Trust me, we'll hear the excuses from him and the fans when he yet again doesn't perform.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
He's never going to do well in a GT. He's never going to win on a MTF.

El Pistolero said:
From a breakaway. He wouldn't have been there anymore if he had to face off against the likes of Contador, Schlecks, Cadel Evans, etc.

If he isnt riding for GC why does it matter he isnt facing Contador or the Schlecks on those climbs? They let him get in the breakaway and let the breakaway gain serious amounts of time, ofcourse he isnt going to face them. Seriously your comparisons make no sense at all..

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Havetts said:
If he isnt riding for GC why does it matter he isnt facing Contador or the Schlecks on those climbs? They let him get in the breakaway and let the breakaway gain serious amounts of time, ofcourse he isnt going to face them. Seriously your comparisons make no sense at all..

You don't need to be a great climber if you're going to do it from a breakaway.

Duh?

Ps: I wasn't even making a comparison in those posts lol.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
You don't need to be a great climber if you're going to do it from a breakaway.

Duh?

Ps: I wasn't even making a comparison in those posts lol.

Actually you need to climb pretty well or even good to win medium mountain stages that go over Sestrieres (Cat 1.).

And yea the comparison thing I said was a brainfart, disregard that. :) :eek:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Havetts said:
Actually you need to climb pretty well or even good to win medium mountain stages that go over Sestrieres (Cat 1.).

And yea the comparison thing I said was a brainfart, disregard that. :) :eek:

I never called him a bad "climber" though. But for me that stuff is like hills. Brice Feillu won on Arcalis, but is he a great climber?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Walkman said:
Why would we do this? The OP ask who is the best rider, not who will be remembered as the best rider at the age up to 25.

I'd say EBH at the moment and I think he will have a great 2012! :)

Who IS the best rider now?
It's not even a competition. Hagen has won stages at the 2 greatest tours. Sagan hasn't.
Hagen has won 2 protour single-day races. Sagan hasn't won any.

with such a narrow premise, this tread actually are pretty meaningless.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
velosiped said:
Who IS the best rider now?
It's not even a competition. Hagen has won stages at the 2 greatest tours. Sagan hasn't.
Hagen has won 2 protour single-day races. Sagan hasn't won any.

with such a narrow premise, this tread actually are pretty meaningless.

Sagan won 3 Vuelta stages in his first Grand Tour. I don't make any difference between the Giro and Vuelta when it comes down to stage wins... In fact, I rate Vuelta stage wins higher for those type of cyclists as the Giro usually doesn't attract good one day racers while the Vuelta does.

Honestly, a Vuelta stage win also beats Vattenval cyclassics. That's such a pathetic race.

El Pistolero said:
Sagan won 3 Vuelta stages in his first Grand Tour. I don't make any difference between the Giro and Vuelta when it comes down to stage wins... In fact, I rate Vuelta stage wins higher for those type of cyclists as the Giro usually doesn't attract good one day racers while the Vuelta does.

Honestly, a Vuelta stage win also beats Vattenval cyclassics. That's such a pathetic race.
Fine (although that's kinda weird), but you'd be completely nuts to consider 3 vuelta stages > 2 tdf stages.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
Fine (although that's kinda weird), but you'd be completely nuts to consider 3 vuelta stages > 2 tdf stages.

Definitely not, but EBH won a Giro stage in his first GT IIRC. I think it's only fair if we only compare their first GTs with each other.