• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Enric Mas Rising Star

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kuss, A Yates are better than Mas.
Adam Yates isn't a better GT rider than Mas, and Mas could easily have replicated what Kuss did in the same position in the Vuelta this year. This is a guy who was the clear cut 2nd best rider in the Vueltas Remco and Primoz won, and looked just as good as them in the high mountains. He's no joke.

And Mas will 90% do the same schedule as previous years. They cannot afford to not have him present in the Tour and Vuelta. Look what happened during 3 weeks when he wasn't there in TdF - some decent attempts by Jorgensen what what not, but generally, the team was in shambles without a leader. The level was simply not there with Mas out. He's their only real star rider.

Adam Yates isn't a better GT rider than Mas, and Mas could easily have replicated what Kuss did in the same position in the Vuelta this year. This is a guy who was the clear cut 2nd best rider in the Vueltas Remco and Primoz won, and looked just as good as them in the high mountains. He's no joke.

And Mas will 90% do the same schedule as previous years. They cannot afford to not have him present in the Tour and Vuelta. Look what happened during 3 weeks when he wasn't there in TdF - some decent attempts by Jorgensen what what not, but generally, the team was in shambles without a leader. The level was simply not there with Mas out. He's their only real star rider.
Agree: crashing out of the Tour was a disaster for him and the team. He should have normally been fighting for the podium with Yates.

Reactions: perico
His ITT took a dive when he moved from QS. He was top-10 in the 2019 TDF ITT and has not been anywhere close to that afterwards.
And when he comes to the Tour he's too inconsistent. In 2021 he had two bad days in Ventoux and Portet and then was last man with the podium guys at Luz Ardiden. And in 2022 he did something similar, lost 9 minutes in Granon and was last man with the podium guys the day after at Alpe d'Huez.

Reactions: xo 1 and Sandisfan
Doing the Giro for once is a good idea. In theory. But not in 24 with all these TT kilometers. He has disappointed at the Tour in 21/22, but on the other hand seems he knows how to prepare for the Vuelta after that. Stick with it in 24, with this Giro makes little sense to go there. A route that doesn't fit, then a different kind of prep for the Vuelta, which might not work, so... TdF-Vuelta for Mas, only sensible thing in 24

Reactions: Koronin
Big Mig backs Mas but says he needs to win a race or two to get some self-confidence. Would Mas get some wins at the Tour or Giro or are we talking about some 1.1 races (the only ones to watch!)?

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...aces-he-will-break-that-tension-he-has-inside

"The legendary Spanish cyclist also stressed that Enric Mas lacks self-confidence and that he would gain it with some victories on his palmarès. "It's important to have that courage to face that challenge. He lacks some confidence, the day he wins a couple of races he will break that tension he has inside," Induráin said. He also mentioned how rivals know their opponents' weaknesses and put pressure on Mas to push him out of his comfort zone."

Mas should do the standard season.

Some eary season races in Spain, then Tirreno, Itulzia and Ardennes. Altitude and Dauphine and then Tour- Vuelta and some Italian classics in the end of the season.

The last two seasons he’s had issues around the Tour. This year crash on stage one and last year he had problems in Dauphine and also got Covid during the Tour.

I’m sure he can be in the top 6 at the Tour and podium the Vuelta next year without crashes or illness.

His ITT took a dive when he moved from QS. He was top-10 in the 2019 TDF ITT and has not been anywhere close to that afterwards.
And when he comes to the Tour he's too inconsistent. In 2021 he had two bad days in Ventoux and Portet and then was last man with the podium guys at Luz Ardiden. And in 2022 he did something similar, lost 9 minutes in Granon and was last man with the podium guys the day after at Alpe d'Huez.
I agree with the first part. Mas was a solid TTer but he’s regressed a lot since he left for Movistar. In the 2021 TT, there was real debate that Mas would be able to rival Porte in the final TT (he rode well but wasn’t at Porte’s level). Since then it’s been all downhill and frustrating as a fan to watch.

Nice to see a certain Nibali agrees with me about Mas doing the Giro -
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling/vincenzo-nibali-for-enric-mas-the-giro-ditalia-would-be-perfect
According to legendary Italian and multiple-time Grand Tour winner, Vincenzo Nibali, the upcoming Giro d'Italia could be the chance the Movistar Team leader has been waiting for. "The big three are very different. The Tour is the most complicated because it is a war every day. I think that for Enric Mas, a Giro d'Italia would be perfect for him," Nibali tells Marca. "It is similar to La Vuelta and could give a great level."

Nice to see a certain Nibali agrees with me about Mas doing the Giro -
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling/vincenzo-nibali-for-enric-mas-the-giro-ditalia-would-be-perfect
According to legendary Italian and multiple-time Grand Tour winner, Vincenzo Nibali, the upcoming Giro d'Italia could be the chance the Movistar Team leader has been waiting for. "The big three are very different. The Tour is the most complicated because it is a war every day. I think that for Enric Mas, a Giro d'Italia would be perfect for him," Nibali tells Marca. "It is similar to La Vuelta and could give a great level."

I agree with the Shark but MAs usually takes along time to warm up in the season and is best after alot of racing....Needs maybe to do a heavy spring schedule as well

Then take a rest and start again towards the Vuelta
He can TT very well just needs to do some work on it

Ha, radsport-news.com today headlines, „Mas motivated for duels versus Pogacar“…

One once saw on the road to Le Grand Bornand how a serious duel of Mas versus Pogacar looks like… Sadly (imho), when Pogi attacked, it looked like as if an elite pro rider drops an U15 rider.

Mas looks like the Nils Politt of the mountains, on his bike, and by his facial expression - and just like Politt, he always lacks these last watts to really score big.

In next Tour, maybe 1-4 for the Big Four, and Mas as 5th, which would be a success. But I think Carlos Rodriguez at Ineos is already better than Enric…

Reactions: xo 1
Ha, radsport-news.com today headlines, „Mas motivated for duels versus Pogacar“…

One once saw on the road to Le Grand Bornand how a serious duel of Mas versus Pogacar looks like… Sadly (imho), when Pogi attacked, it looked like as if an elite pro rider drops an U15 rider.

Mas looks like the Nils Politt of the mountains, on his bike, and by his facial expression - and just like Politt, he always lacks these last watts to really score big.

In next Tour, maybe 1-4 for the Big Four, and Mas as 5th, which would be a success. But I think Carlos Rodriguez at Ineos is already better than Enric…
For duels between Mas and Pogacar you need to watch Luz Ardiden '21, Alpe d'Huez '22 or Andalucía '23 and you may still make jokes about it.

Last edited:
Top 6 in the tour and then podium the Vuelta and some good results in the Italian fall classics.

Gonna score Movistar a lot of points with some top 10s in Itulzia, Dauphine and maybe the Ardennes.
That's probably the most realistic scenario, although I question his abilities in the Ardennes; he has done LBL six times with a 12th place as his best result, and FW five times with a 17th place as his best. The most surprising thing for me when looking through Mas' career results is the fact that he has done 19 WT one week races and only finished top five twice (4th in Suisse '18 and 5th in Basque '23).

That's probably the most realistic scenario, although I question his abilities in the Ardennes; he has done LBL six times with a 12th place as his best result, and FW five times with a 17th place as his best. The most surprising thing for me when looking through Mas' career results is the fact that he has done 19 WT one week races and only finished top five twice (4th in Suisse '18 and 5th in Basque '23).
At least twice in recent years in the big 1 week races he has crashed out late in the race whilst holding a top 5 spot.

It's the Tour and Vuelta for Mas - well good luck to him, but I can not see him getting better then about a 6th spot on GC. If Nairoman does the Tour too, then it might help but it might also lead to more leadership problems.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/enric-mas-all-in-for-tour-de-france-in-2024/
I think Mas could finish higher than 6th. He just needs everything to go right and to stay upright. Pogacar and Vinge are on a different level. So is Roglic. Remco is a more talented rider, but I won’t pencil him in as a definite for anything as he has been prone to extreme bouts of inconsistency over 3 weeks. We’ve seen Mas finish ahead of just about every other contender at one point or another.

He’s got the talent, but he’s mentally not as strong. He doesn’t have the killer instinct. Maybe having Nairo beside him will be to his benefit.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think Mas could finish higher than 6th. He just needs everything to go right and to stay upright. Pogacar and Vinge are on a different level. So is Roglic. Remco is a more talented rider, but I won’t pencil him in as a definite for anything as he has been prone to extreme bouts of inconsistency over 3 weeks. We’ve seen Mas finish ahead of just about every other contender at one point or another.

He’s got the talent, but he’s mentally not as strong. He doesn’t have the killer instinct. Maybe having Nairo beside him will be to his benefit.
He does know a thing or two about painkilling after all.

• Haha
Reactions: perico