• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 273 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I read this morning that Kruijswijk isn't going for surgery on his broken collar bone, i.e. he's been told it will heal naturally.

He was I believe scheduled to go to the Vuelta though, so I don't know what this means for the team selection. Maybe Bouwman will get a late recall if Kruijswijk isn't ready in time.

But I strongly believe Roglic will be in the Vuelta & based on his performance in the TdF (opening ITT & then La Super Planche des Belles Filles), I think he'll be okay performance wise.
It's not too different from last year, when he dropped out of the Tour a week earlier, and was doing really well again by the time the Olympics rolled around.

He's had a lighter load in the spring this season which hopefully helps him be fresher for the Vuelta.

There is a difference if someone on the internet initiates a rumor or if Jumbo Visma directeur sportif explains what happened. We can judge the statement of Jumbo Visma directeur sportif. But the fact is Roglič was struggling and that became more and more apparent with each new stage. Hence if Jumbo Visma directeur sportif says something in the lines of Roglič was too badly injured and it was only getting worse. That is why the decision was made to abandon.

It was there on the plain sight all along. I don't feel this can even be called a rumor. Or that it needs any serious discussion. To determine it was a fact after all.

Hi CyclisttAbi, Thank you for taking the time to answer, I have had many conversations with team managers over the years the one thing common to most of them is, that they appeared to be designed to give a neutral answer that would A; Not offend the team's sponsors and B: To allow the action to take place without bringing sanction from the organisers. Quite what the statement by his team was, we shall never know the only two people that know the truth of the matter are Roglic and the person or persons he gave his reasons for abandoning too.

Reactions: CyclistAbi
I read this morning that Kruijswijk isn't going for surgery on his broken collar bone, i.e. he's been told it will heal naturally.

He was I believe scheduled to go to the Vuelta though, so I don't know what this means for the team selection. Maybe Bouwman will get a late recall if Kruijswijk isn't ready in time.

But I strongly believe Roglic will be in the Vuelta & based on his performance in the TdF (opening ITT & then La Super Planche des Belles Filles), I think he'll be okay performance wise.
Kruijswijk's collarbone is probably not displaced if they're not going to plate it. He may not even be in much discomfort at this point so he's a likely GO for Spain. Unless he gets the latest Covid version I picked up. After 7 weeks my power on the bike is like starting over.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Kruijswijk's collarbone is probably not displaced if they're not going to plate it. He may not even be in much discomfort at this point so he's a likely GO for Spain. Unless he gets the latest Covid version I picked up. After 7 weeks my power on the bike is like starting over.

I got the news wrong regarding his broken collarbone. He did get it operated, but it's his broken shoulder blade which they've left to heal over time:

He's also apparently declared he's done with the 2022 season: Tour de France - Blessé, Steven Kruijswijk fait une croix sur la fin 2022 (cyclismactu.net)

So that was a broken collarbone (operated), dislocated shoulder (operated) & a broken shoulder blade.

I got the news wrong regarding his broken collarbone. He did get it operated, but it's his broken shoulder blade which they've left to heal over time:

He's also apparently declared he's done with the 2022 season: Tour de France - Blessé, Steven Kruijswijk fait une croix sur la fin 2022 (cyclismactu.net)
Yeah, having hardware installed changes things. You don't want to crash again with rods/pins if you can wait 6 months and have them removed.

I really hope Roglič goes to the Vuelta in good shape because otherwise UAE could strangle the race for Pogačar or Almeida. Sure Hindley or Carapaz are still worthy oponents and who knows what Evenepoel can do but I think Roglič is still stronger than all of these.

I really hope Roglič goes to the Vuelta in good shape because otherwise UAE could strangle the race for Pogačar or Almeida. Sure Hindley or Carapaz are still worthy oponents and who knows what Evenepoel can do but I think Roglič is still stronger than all of these.

After concluding that the Tour climbs have "soft pace" the Skeleton may decide to go for the double though.

It's beyond my comprehension that people spend Hours arguing about why Roglic left the race and whether it will cost Vinge the Tour. I HEARD with my own ears a TJV DS state that the doctors after they examined him said that his back injury was getting worse and advised he be sent home. TJM management spoke with the rider who resisted leaving but was convinced it was the right decision. If Stevie hadn't crashed and broken his collarbone No One would care or bother arguing about it. Instead, people waste their lives going over it from every side they can come up with.
Meanwhile Vinge is just riding his race and unless he totally falls apart tomorrow and Saturday has this in the bag. And if he falls apart it sure isn't Rogic's fault! Many people put on ignore here, because I have much better thing to read with the little time I have left on this planet. Vent Over.

Yep, me and millions of others too! Unemployment does have some advantages, this is the first year I have been able to watch every minute of the racing with GCN+ GREAT!

Unemployment in general has too many disadvantages. Main one being no income. Hence always better to find something you like doing and do that for money. And on top of that to enjoy some good cycling.

Roglič for example is currently unemployed and i have a feeling he hates it.

Reactions: acm and mrgmyers
Personally i must say that i don't like Tour 2022 edition. Like not at all. Hopefully a better one to be scheduled for the next year.

I think this year's race has been interesting, maybe not the same as we have seen for a long time but I still think it's been exciting, I am surprised that given how well Geraint has gone that INEOS did not adopt some of their previous sit on the front tactics, but when you have three leaders from the beginning I guess that is difficult! I think today's racing is going to be exciting! As for next year I can see some big recruitment being done by some of the leading teams that is certain.

Personally i must say that i don't like Tour 2022 edition. Like not at all. Hopefully a better one to be scheduled for the next year.
Best give up on the TDF. This is as good as it gets.

Unless you only like it if Roglic wins? I sympathize with stage 5. That was very disappointing but this tour is about as good as they come - even if we lost Roglic which sucks.

Last edited:

Bouwman confirmed today on Nos TV he'll ride the Vuelta.

I love Rogla, I really do. But there is no chance he can ever win the TdF. Even on excellent form and without his usual bad luck, he now has an absolute monster on his team (well, two, but I'm talking about Vingo right now) and will never be the captain again.

He will be co-leader, sure. But even less protected than this year, and ready to be made a super gregario as soon as things don't go his way. Maybe Giro & Vuelta should really become his main goals.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
I love Rogla, I really do. But there is no chance he can ever win the TdF. Even on excellent form and without his usual bad luck, he now has an absolute monster on his team (well, two, but I'm talking about Vingo right now) and will never be the captain again.

He will be co-leader again, sure. But even less protected than this year, and ready to be made a super gregario as soon as things don't go his way. Maybe Giro & Vuelta should really become his main goals.

Being co-leader ready to launch two pronged attacks only made sense from the moment Pogacar was the strongest rider in the TdF.

There's literally nothing in it now from a Roglic perspective. Why should he launch a suicide attack next year on Pogacar when Vingegaard is the strongest rider in Grand Tour racing?

And Pogacar won't even follow Roglic anyway, i.e. he's going to sit on Vingegaard's wheel (because Vingegaard will be the TdF favorite) & try not to get dropped like this year.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
And Pogacar won't even follow Roglic anyway, i.e. he's going to sit on Vingegaard's wheel (because Vingegaard will be the TdF favorite) & try not to get dropped like this year.
Wouldn't that be a good reason for Rogla to attack?

If Pogi follows, he'll have Vingo glued on his wheel. If he doesn't, well, it will make us Rogla fans happy, and then lose anyway to Vingo.

Jumbo have the strongest team and the strongest climber. They can really play it like the Sky of old, with Roglic as a wildcard or perhaps eventually as deluxe gregario. If UAE doesn't up their game it may become pretty dull quite fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorzenz08

TRENDING THREADS