• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 355 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Seriously though, i think Foss might be better served putting on more weight and start eyeballing TT's, classics or breakaways than trying to lose weight (iirc he already lost a lot of that weight 2 years ago, and it has not improved his general level) with GC in mind. I also doubt Jumbo is going to sign a 23 year old, who will only start showing his pedigree 4 years after their contract ends. That's the level of commitment you expect with a generational talent, which he is clearly not. Also, if all that was really true, and he really believed what he said back then, then there is no need for him to start expecting/claiming a more prominent role as a GC leader at this point, as by his own admission, he's still 4 years shy of his best level.
I don't disagree with any of this. He sure seems to be in a bit more of a hurry now compared to when he did the interview. It was mostly to counter your argument that he had optimized everything to perform better than many other riders in his age group. But even if he can stay at his current level or improve it somewhat, which I believe he can as he has been a bit troubled in recent years, there's a very good career to be had from being a top ITT-er and a strong stage racer.

And I also don't really feel the need to further make this into more of a Foss thread than a Roglic thread! :laughing:

For my closing statement i will just point out, that when Ilmaestro starts liking your posts, things aren't looking too good.

Seriously though, i think Foss might be better served putting on more weight and start eyeballing TT's, classics or breakaways than trying to lose weight (iirc he already lost a lot of that weight 2 years ago, and it has not improved his general level) with GC in mind. I also doubt Jumbo is going to sign a 23 year old, who will only start showing his pedigree 4 years after their contract ends. That's the level of commitment you expect with a generational talent, which he is clearly not. Also, if all that was really true, and he really believed what he said back then, then there is no need for him to start expecting/claiming a more prominent role as a GC leader at this point, as by his own admission, he's still 4 years shy of his best level.

I don't disagree much with this either. Still there's a difference between being a generational talent and having been worthy of getting a WT contract at JV in 2019, which was what the discussion was originally about.

And I also don't really feel the need to further make this into more of a Foss thread than a Roglic thread! :laughing:

He does have his own thread, although someone decided to give it a pretty stupid title ;)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well, contrary to Roglic he has actually said that he didn't want to go to the Giro, and he's said to everyone who wants to hear it that he considers leaving the team to get more chances for himself, so you could be right there :)
I think there might been something lost in translation. Foss said early that he didn’t want to go for Giro GC in 2023, not that he didn’t want to ride the Giro. He said that he’s been to one dimensional in the focus the last seasons, aiming at the Giro GC and that he’s wanting/needing to try aiming for shorter stage races (he felt he skipped that natural step when he went straight into GT focus when he turned pro).
Foss is ambitious and he wants to try more attempts at GT GC further down the road, but that is not, and was not meant to be, the goal this season.

I think there might been something lost in translation. Foss said early that he didn’t want to go for Giro GC in 2023, not that he didn’t want to ride the Giro. He said that he’s been to one dimensional in the focus the last seasons, aiming at the Giro GC and that he’s wanting/needing to try aiming for shorter stage races (he felt he skipped that natural step when he went straight into GT focus when he turned pro).
Foss is ambitious and he wants to try more attempts at GT GC further down the road, but that is not, and was not meant to be, the goal this season.
I read this interview, with a Dutch site but I assume they conducted it in English and not Norwegian. And here he's quite clear that he initially didn't want to go to the Giro. Unless their English is really bad, of course. He's not refusing to work for Roglic, that's not what I'm trying to say.

I would have liked to do something different than the Giro this year. I've been riding the Giro since turning pro, so it would have been nice if I could have done something different. So I had to think about it for a while in the beginning and let it sink in. ... The Tour de France would have been cool. I think the course suits me a bit better too, with longer and not so steep climbs. That suits me and I would have loved to be part of the strongest Tour team. However, they needed me in the Giro and the team has the last word.

I don't disagree much with this either. Still there's a difference between being a generational talent and having been worthy of getting a WT contract at JV in 2019, which was what the discussion was originally about.
That was not really what i was discussing. Rather the likelyhood of him having a future as a GT/GC leader, specifically at a team like JV and whether he should expect to get a role other than that of a domestique if he stays.

Wich rider you were wrong?! Nibali, masnada?
I said, maybe more than once, I don't recall, that Evenepol was a Belgian Simon Spilak and wouldn't win the biggest races.

Of course, you could say I am still right in some respect, since Remco vuelta win is asterisked under the mickey-mouse route clause, but I was totally wrong about his ceiling and he deserve my respect. Rare moment

Reactions: acm and Sandisfan
I said, maybe more than once, I don't recall, that Evenepol was a Belgian Simon Spilak and wouldn't win the biggest races.

Of course, you could say I am still right in some respect, since Remco vuelta win is asterisked under the mickey-mouse route clause, but I was totally wrong about his ceiling and he deserve my respect. Rare moment
You’re not right, he also won LBL and the WC. Unless you meant big stage races, but still it’s ridiculous to put an asterisk next to the Vuelta.

I understand that asterisk in the vuelta. He just won a unipuerto race against a injured roglic and riding at same level of Mas in the climbs. He's got lucky that masnada didn't race la vuelta. He would be the leader instead of remco.

Remco fans should pray that masnada choose remco to be is domestique at the giro, the biggest and most beatiful race in the world.

I understand that asterisk in the vuelta. He just won a unipuerto race against a injured roglic and riding at same level of Mas in the climbs. He's got lucky that masnada didn't race la vuelta. He would be the leader instead of remco.

Remco fans should pray that masnada choose remco to be is domestique at the giro, the biggest and most beatiful race in the world.
Well, if that's your rational for why we should put an asterisk besides Remco's Vuelta win, then we should likewise put one beside each of Primos' three. For he beat guys either over the hill like Valverde, upstarts like Pogacar or those never going to podium at the Tour like Carthy.

Your other assertions are just pure trolling delirium.

Last edited:
Reactions: Berniece

No, you could not, in any respect, say that you're still right.

And the same goes for what you say about Van Aert.

And lol at the "maybe more than once" part.

• Haha
Reactions: gregrowlerson
In favor of Foss, I have to say that he would have been fighting for the podium in L Avenir 2017 without a problem on a flat stage, and this was only his second U23 year, in the year of Bernal's victory. In 2018 he had some psychological problems and he was not training properly, I remember some news about it and Jumbo being patient with the situation because they really wanted him back then. So I think the level that he showed in 2019 was perhaps his natural progression for 2018 without his problems.

Still, I think he's a bit delusional if he really thinks he deserves better for this year than being a good domestic for someone like Primoz Roglic, because based on merits we have to be honest and say right now for the Giro he is below Wilco Kelderman or even Koen Bouwman if we look at the climbing level of each one last year.

Now who is the team boss again?

Or does it simply mean that Roglic is still a keeper

View: https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1610044260631416833

FlgBBwKXwAEnKCK

You’re not right, he also won LBL and the WC. Unless you meant big stage races, but still it’s ridiculous to put an asterisk next to the Vuelta.

No, you could not, in any respect, say that you're still right.

And the same goes for what you say about Van Aert.

And lol at the "maybe more than once" part.
Come on guys. I already said I was wrong about Remco, I said that when he won Liege, in such a fashion, he was already a great of the sport. So it's nothing to do with the Vuelta.

That comment I made about 'still being right' was just me joking around about that Laughable Vuelta. But yes we are serious people with serious businesss to discuss so let's stick to that and not have fun.

Toby I've not been wrong about Van Aert you know this. Let's see if he changes his approach in 2023 otherwise he could be doing good work for Van bAarle and Laport.

Anyway since it's Roglic thread I hope Roglic beats Remco in the Giro. What a race it should be

You should wear glasses. Much safer to roll your eyes then.

Well, and your nerd factor will never be great without glasses.
Based on some of the polarized statements in forums here, it's best to just remaining unblinking until you walk away from the screen. Your eyes don't require that much eccentric movement with/without glasses. Unless the nerd thing is for you: I like mine black and plain.

TRENDING THREADS