• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
According to Beppe Saronni, Aru himself decided to ride Suisse and the TdF as soon as he felt recovered after his surgery. Saronni doesn't think it was a good idea and believes it wasn't the best preparation for the Vuelta, which was the target for this season.

Reactions: Northerner
Yes, riding the whole Tour for gc pretty much right after coming back from such a big surgery with a lack of training and racing km was a horrible way to prepare for the Vuelta, the Nibali approach would have been smarter.
Still, he finished 14th on gc in the Tour after coming back from a surgery with a totally improvised preparation, he isn't finished as a gc rider. I'm not talking about fighting for the win, but top 10 or top 5 (against a weaker field) is still a realistic goal with a proper preparation.

Sad to see how bad Are and Chaves has become lately. Of course, lots of bad luck and such, but I had expected better. Then again, maybe its unfair to judge them before what I suppose will be the usual Giro-Vuelta in 2020 for both of them..

Aru is an idiot if he really thought it was a good idea.
Aru is a bit irrational. The guy moved in together with his girlfriend after dating for 2 weeks. Of course that's his own buisness, but it says a lot about his character.
The team probably only gave him green light for the Tour because of Gaviria's knee problems and when he was doing better than Dan Martin they had no real reason to tell him not to ride for the gc.

Reactions: Red Rick
Aug 12, 2019
Aru is a bit irrational. The guy moved in together with his girlfriend after dating for 2 weeks. Of course that's his own buisness, but it says a lot about his character.
The team probably only gave him green light for the Tour because of Gaviria's knee problems and when he was doing better than Dan Martin they had no real reason to tell him not to ride for the gc.
this is the reason why so many people like him

Jul 28, 2019
Yes, riding the whole Tour for gc pretty much right after coming back from such a big surgery with a lack of training and racing km was a horrible way to prepare for the Vuelta, the Nibali approach would have been smarter.
Still, he finished 14th on gc in the Tour after coming back from a surgery with a totally improvised preparation, he isn't finished as a gc rider. I'm not talking about fighting for the win, but top 10 or top 5 (against a weaker field) is still a realistic goal with a proper preparation.
From what I gathered it wasn't exactly a big surgery but "just" an endovascular intervention, usually it's done on one day and you go home the next.

In today's interview with Gazzetta Fabio says he had a debilitating virus in the Vuelta. (in Italian)

...but after the Vuelta you collapsed.

"With the benefit of hindsight, perhaps too much has been asked of my engine.
But it is easy to talk about later/now.
And anyway in Spain a virus really weakened me. I am still paying the consequences".

What do you mean?

"Even today I can only do short outings, maximum two hours.
It not a little thing, but I am getting better.
In January I'll start again at full capacity".

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts