• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Aru maybe never had a true chance, but went for it multiple times. He's a greater challenger than Andy Schleck yet already!

He will still win this Giro by going mortal combat mode on Mortirolo or Finestre, of course! :p

He did a few weak attacks, he's not a challenger at all since he hasn't proved he's on contador's level.

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Well he's in pink without too much merit (the only one of which i can think off is trying to hold on yesterday and being near the front of the peloton today). Now see if he has legs enough to stay under 2 minutes from Contador which would be a very very very good result.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Grande Aru! Great positioning and not falling off your bike has been part of GC riding since at least July 2014. His competitors should take a page out of this young yet mature rider's book.

Who would have expected that it would be positioning instinct that would allow him to become the first rider to strip Contador of the GC leading jersey?

It is well known that the maillot jaune provides 10% extra power in time trials. The maglia rosa isn't as mystical, but it should enable Aru to be close to Contador in the TT and make a race out of this yet.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Grande Aru! Great positioning and not falling off your bike has been part of GC riding since at least July 2014. His competitors should take a page out of this young yet mature rider's book.

Who would have expected that it would be positioning instinct that would allow him to become the first rider to strip Contador of the GC leading jersey?

It is well known that the maillot jaune provides 10% extra power in time trials. The maglia rosa isn't as mystical, but it should enable Aru to be close to Contador in the TT and make a race out of this yet.
'close' as in losing 2 minutes instead of 2 ½.

Re:

SafeBet said:
They never really believed he could beat Contador, I fear. And at the moment Aru looks like someone who's missed some days of training at the wrong time. Maybe Astana knows he's going to fade, and that would explain why they are trying to have as many options still in GC contention. I wouldn't be surprised if Landa or Cataldo end up being the best placed Astana riders at the end of the Giro. Could be pessimism on my part, but he really looked sluggish yesterday.

Possibly.

But Nibali doesn't stand a chance against Froome (peak form) or this year Giro's Contador (peak Contador screws Nibali easily).

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Aru is a fighter. Give him two more years and he crushes the Giro. Contador right now is simply too much for him but I look forward to enjoying this kid's career.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Re:

SergeDeM said:
Aru is a fighter. Give him two more years and he crushes the Giro. Contador right now is simply too much for him but I look forward to enjoying this kid's career.

Two more years is 100th edition of Giro, so I sure hope so. Every Italian should be present for that Giro.

Re:

SergeDeM said:
Two years? Unless one of the big 4 races the Giro next year, he'll be the overwhelming favorite already.

If he doesn't bonk tomorrow :p

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Eshnar said:
SergeDeM said:
Two years? Unless one of the big 4 races the Giro next year, he'll be the overwhelming favorite already.

If he doesn't bonk tomorrow :p
Next year he might get it. In two years he crushes it ;)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SergeDeM said:

he is definitely the shining bright star. Looking foward to Vuelta. If Majka, Quintana and Aru, all participate, this year vuelta will be the dress rehearsal of creme' dela cream of the new generation of GT contender.

lenric said:
SafeBet said:
They never really believed he could beat Contador, I fear. And at the moment Aru looks like someone who's missed some days of training at the wrong time. Maybe Astana knows he's going to fade, and that would explain why they are trying to have as many options still in GC contention. I wouldn't be surprised if Landa or Cataldo end up being the best placed Astana riders at the end of the Giro. Could be pessimism on my part, but he really looked sluggish yesterday.

Possibly.

But Nibali doesn't stand a chance against Froome (peak form) or this year Giro's Contador (peak Contador screws Nibali easily).
Nibali 2014 Tour was on par with Froome in 2013. Contador vs Nibali we have only really seen once, and Contador beat him by 6 minutes. However, this was 4 years ago, and Nibali has improved massively, whereas Contador not so much. Peak Contador is slightly better than Nibali and Froome, but we will probably not see peak Contador at the Tour.

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

Brullnux said:
lenric said:
SafeBet said:

Possibly.

Nibali 2014 Tour was on par with Froome in 2013. Contador vs Nibali we have only really seen once, and Contador beat him by 6 minutes. However, this was 4 years ago, and Nibali has improved massively, whereas Contador not so much. Peak Contador is slightly better than Nibali and Froome, but we will probably not see peak Contador at the Tour.

Peak Contador is a lot better than "slightly better"...peak Contador is untouchable.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Brullnux said:
lenric said:
SafeBet said:

Possibly.

I know that 2014 Nibali's estimated w/kg curve as a function of length of effort is similar to 2013 Froome's, but I still find it hard to believe Nibali was that good. If he really was that good, why is it he is only 4th most likely to win the Tour, significantly less likely than Froome, Quintana and even Double-attempting Contador according to the bookies? In my opinion, it's because he just cannot climb like they can.

Brullnux said:
lenric said:
SafeBet said:

Possibly.

The only test done by Contador last year's Tour to Nibali was failed by the italian. And it was a *** hill. Not to even mention Dauphine.

Aru is a brave young man actually, because sooner or later he closes the gaps or at least stays in touch with the big guns. Like in last years Vuelta!

Nibali got demolished and acted out by Contador in 2011. And from Wiggins in 2012. Also from Froome in 2011. Back then, Nibali was a grand tour winner already.

TRENDING THREADS