• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
Visit site
his team put him in a good position. So he doesn't have to labour so much to chip any time deficit until ITT. Great ride by Astana team to put him in a nice position behind Contador and ahead of Uran and Porte. Dunno if it's coincidence, but both climber Alberto and Aru are ahead of the ITT specialist Uran and Porte.
 
Impressive result for Astana,really didn't expected it at all.Aru was also saying something about a possible surprise in the ITT from him,so he looks really set.An Aru in good shape is good for the show,the mountains will be fun.
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
3
0
Visit site
bettiniphoto_0193854_1_full_670.jpg

sptdw2027_670.jpg
 
Mar 9, 2012
1,027
0
0
Visit site
Aru is my pick for the win this year, although my head says Contador. Astana looks very strong and if he is even going on the attack on the hills, he'll be irresistible on the real climbs.
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:
Aru and Astana look like the most serious gang after today's stage.

I agree. His team was very impressive today. Decimating the peloton on medium mountain stage! shaving 10 minutes to 22 second?.. They are impressive in climbing and equally impressive in downhill. I'm wondering, are they going to show up when Sky turns the screw tomorrow?
 
Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
sir fly said:
Aru and Astana look like the most serious gang after today's stage.

I agree. His team was very impressive today. Decimating the peloton on medium mountain stage! shaving 10 minutes to 22 second?.. They are impressive in climbing and equally impressive in downhill. I'm wondering, are they going to show up when Sky turns the screw tomorrow?
I think they'll let Sky set the tempo on these medium difficult mountain stages. After the itt they should be more prominent at the front. Not because of eventual time loss, but 'cause the profiles suite them much more.
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
3
0
Visit site
Would Aru have managed to catch Contador without Big Richie offering him a friendly wheel? Landa getting there and Aru even attacking suggests so, but there was a moment of uncertainty where he didn't seem confident closing down AC when the latter sustained the attack slightly longer than expected. Instead he looked around for Porte's help.
 
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Would Aru have managed to catch Contador without Big Richie offering him a friendly wheel? Landa getting there and Aru even attacking suggests so, but there was a moment of uncertainty where he didn't seem confident closing down AC when the latter sustained the attack slightly longer than expected. Instead he looked around for Porte's help.

Who cares. In the end he took 4 seconds off Bertie's lead and anyway Landa was there, as strong as RV Porte and Contador while setting up Aru's devastating sprint. It is still wide open, I haven't seen anything to change my mind that Aru will be at least second in this Giro.
 
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Would Aru have managed to catch Contador without Big Richie offering him a friendly wheel? Landa getting there and Aru even attacking suggests so, but there was a moment of uncertainty where he didn't seem confident closing down AC when the latter sustained the attack slightly longer than expected. Instead he looked around for Porte's help.

Yes, he would be able to bridge. Contador is very explosive, he can gain quite a big advantage with a short jump but he cant keep that pace for a long period. Sooner or later Aru would catch him, he tried immediately and failed but it doesnt matter.
 
Aug 9, 2009
505
0
0
Visit site
Aru looking great. After last year we know he can keep it together for three weeks so it looks like AC has a worthy rival for this Giro.
I'm enjoying this Giro.
 
Re:

Eshnar said:
Aru was definitely struggling to close the gap, but then again AC couldn't keep that pace as well, so I guess it was just a very optimistic attack by the Spaniard :)
After another look at the decisive moments, my impression is that Aru wanted to force Porte to take over (and finish off) the bridging job, after he did majority of the work and played a pursuit target for Porte.
 

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
964
0
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

sir fly said:
Eshnar said:
Aru was definitely struggling to close the gap, but then again AC couldn't keep that pace as well, so I guess it was just a very optimistic attack by the Spaniard :)
After another look at the decisive moments, my impression is that Aru wanted to force Porte to take over (and finish off) the bridging job, after he did majority of the work and played a pursuit target for Porte.

If he waited for Porte to close the gap, it was a smart move. But it didn't look like it. When they caught Contador his attack was really weak. He shouldn't do this small meaningless attacks like Nibali sometime does.