• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have to give the kid some credit. He tried to win, he failed and paid the price, but never threw in the towel and limited his losses as best he could. I have less respect for him for the way he tried to win, but that is cycling, it is a cut throat sport.

Re: Re:

IndianCyclist said:
His attacks were not long range and therefore inconsequential, No his race fell apart when he forgot to eat. Once you get a calorie deficit it is difficult to makeup and the body strength always deteriorates.
When did this happen?
He was offered food during the ascent to Mortirolo and refused it. He was just weaker than the ones in front of him.

Re:

Beech Mtn said:
bettiniphoto_0210651_1_full_670.jpg

Is he related to the Man United footballer Phil Jones? :D

SafeBet said:
IndianCyclist said:
His attacks were not long range and therefore inconsequential, No his race fell apart when he forgot to eat. Once you get a calorie deficit it is difficult to makeup and the body strength always deteriorates.
When did this happen?
He was offered food during the ascent to Mortirolo and refused it. He was just weaker than the ones in front of him.
it started in the Imola or Jesolo stage not Motirolo.

Aru it a star of the future, there will be a Giro for him. Nice ride today young man.

I know this is petty but he really is an unattractive human being. It helps me to just focus on his legs and ignore the face. The legs are what count in cycling and he's got legs!

So the rumours were right: he suffered again of dysentery during the second week of the Giro as Gazzetta says this morning.
I think this was a very important Giro for him and he learned a lot. Now he's ready to win GTs

Re:

SafeBet said:
Excellent on 7-8-9% climbs, just good when the slopes go over 10%.
Could this be a pattern?
Idk. His best climbing performance to date was Monte Grappa. It's the one that most sticks in my mind, more so than any of his stage wins in any GT. How steep was that? I actually can't remember, I just remember it looked hard af.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Brullnux said:
SafeBet said:
Excellent on 7-8-9% climbs, just good when the slopes go over 10%.
Could this be a pattern?
Idk. His best climbing performance to date was Monte Grappa. It's the one that most sticks in my mind, more so than any of his stage wins in any GT. How steep was that? I actually can't remember, I just remember it looked hard af.
The profile of the Monte Grappa MTT:
tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_19.jpg

Yes, it seems to be a little bit strange, he's better on climbs that are at least 10-12km long, he's only around 61kg but he seems to be better on not so steeps climbs.
I can only describe what I see, but I think he's not able to attack or accelerate out of the saddle on the super steep stuff, he's not a diesel climber like Basso who was able to destry people on the super steep ramps just by riding a very high tempo.

Wasn't his first Vuelta stage win on a steep wall?

Maybe the issue you mentioned is why he worked on his cadence and rides lower gears now.

At the beginning of the Giro he simply seemed to lack some liveliness, power and kick. Even on the not so steep gradients. The last 2 stages he found back his explosiveness. Especially today when he flight away from Uran.

We should wait until the Vuelta for a final judgement. With a full preparation he should be closer to peak-shape in Spain. There he can win the race!

TRENDING THREADS