• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Stilletto said:
My guess is
Aru, Fugl
Valgren, Hansen, Lutsenko, Moser, Gruzdev, Chernetckii
then maybe Lopez will be added depending on tour de Suisse
That makes it 9 right ? If Lopez doesn't make it i could see Vino sticking another kazakh in the 9

Cataldo did the giro so doubt it and Kangert is injured...

That's a very weak mountain team - Hansen will have his work cut out for him :(

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Stilletto said:
My guess is
Aru, Fugl
That makes it 9 right ? If Lopez doesn't make it i could see Vino sticking another kazakh in the 9

That's a very weak mountain team - Hansen will have his work cut out for him :(
Chernetckii is such an odd rider, a monster in the U23 ranks and every year he gets just a few good results that make you think that he'll finally make it.
2013: 7th on gc in Burgos, 4th in the Österreich Rundfahrt and winning the Tour des Fjordes as a neopro.
2014: 7th in Milano - Torino against a strong field, 6th in the final Vuelta ITT.
2015: Wins a Catalunya stage from the Breakaway by outsprinting Alaphilippe (who ends up 2nd in FW and LBL a month later) and on the next day he finishes 3rd on a hard Barcelona stage.
2016: 10th on gc in a really hard Tour de Suisse, while also working for Spilak.
I thought that signing with another team could be good for him, but he has shown almost nothing since signing with Astana, I expected him to be one of the big revelations of the new Astana squad.

Re:

Stilletto said:
My guess is
Aru, Fugl

Cataldo will most certainly be there. Also Grivko is still a possible option according to Martinelli.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
He should be in the mix for the podium. But most of all he should be able to deliver what we didn't saw last year: chaos!

Vai Fabio! Vai!!

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Rollthedice said:
It was a dominant performance. After Cataldo pulled like mad making the final selection, Aru dropped all with a vicious attack on the last climb and never looked back. He is definitely ready for Le Tour., might surprise a few.
He also said that Cataldo will ride the Tour with him as a domestique.

Mayomaniac said:
Rollthedice said:
It was a dominant performance. After Cataldo pulled like mad making the final selection, Aru dropped all with a vicious attack on the last climb and never looked back. He is definitely ready for Le Tour., might surprise a few.
He also said that Cataldo will ride the Tour with him as a domestique.

TdF team: Aru, Cataldo, Fuglsang, Grivko, Gruzdev, Kozhatayev, Lutsenko, Valgren, Zeits

Really surprised that Hansen is not riding. The lack of Moser also is surprising. He's got some good engines on the flats for him, but maybe not an adequate road captain. Hopefully Grivko, Valgren, Zeits and even Lutsenko can help on the early parts of climbs.

Re:

greenedge said:
Really surprised that Hansen is not riding. The lack of Moser also is surprising. He's got some good engines on the flats for him, but maybe not an adequate road captain. Hopefully Grivko, Valgren, Zeits and even Lutsenko can help on the early parts of climbs.

Zeits is always a reliable domestique for the mountains. He will be super usefull.

Lutsenko will stage hunt.

Seems like the time off the bike has not hurt him much. His recent form has looked good. Will be interesting to see what he and Fuglsang can do in the Tour. He is relatively fresh compared to other riders. He can't afford to lose time in the first week and he will have to TT well and keep his time losses down.

Re:

greenedge said:
Moser suffered with health problems (citomegalovirus) the last months.

Lutsenko did some altitude training with Aru, so I guess Lutsenko will climb well and could be very important for Aru.

Re:

greenedge said:

He did the Giro as well, and left Tour de Suisse because he was, quote: "Tired as a complete retirement home."

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Popchu said:
greenedge said:
Moser suffered with health problems (citomegalovirus) the last months.

Lutsenko did some altitude training with Aru, so I guess Lutsenko will climb well and could be very important for Aru.
Yes, Moser had some health problems, so he'll just race the Österreich Rundfahrt to get some racing miles.
Hansen already raced the Giro and the TdS (at least until stage 5), so riding the Tour would have probably been a bit too much for him, it's only the 2nd time that he has raced a gt and he has never raced 2 gts in one season, so having him race Giro and Tour would have been a bit too much.
Aru's mountain support is solid, Zeits is a good climbing domestique, Kozhatayev was strong in RdS and guys like Valgren at Lutsenko can help early on to support Aru and Fuglsang. With Lopez and Kangert out they don't have many options, but it's a decent team.

TRENDING THREADS