• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Martin will be the leader for the Tour, there is no doubt about that. And probably Aru will be forced to go to the Giro against his will as a consequence of this and the fact that there will be also Gaviria (+Kristoff) and his helpers.Not to mention the fact that the team would be crazy the let Aru pick himself as Tour leader after his run of failures.

I can see Aru going to the Tour only if he'll be able to demostrate that his decline is not irreversible during the Giro and he'll accept to play a second fiddle or even be an helper for Martin.

Maybe he just peaked very early in his career. Some athletes do that...

He still got time to turn it around, but maybe he will have to settle for a different roll or something if he just doesnt have what it takes to really challenge as a GC rider anymore. Target stages and one-day races instead.

Re:

Salvarani said:

He still got time to turn it around, but maybe he will have to settle for a different roll or something if he just doesnt have what it takes to really challenge as a GC rider anymore. Target stages and one-day races instead.
Many riders don't ever reach the level they had as a 25 year old again but I don't think that's a case of being over your physical peak as an endurance athlete. It's usually rather stuff like injuries or mentality holding people back. Let's also not forget Aru only had one season of being nowhere. In 2017 Aru's peak performances were among his best ever (pdbf in the Tour) and he wore the yellow jersey just 6 stages from Paris. Let's wait and see before jumping to early conclusions

Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Salvarani said:

Many riders don't ever reach the level they had as a 25 year old again but I don't think that's a case of being over your physical peak as an endurance athlete. It's usually rather stuff like injuries or mentality holding people back. Let's also not forget Aru only had one season of being nowhere. In 2017 Aru's peak performances were among his best ever (pdbf in the Tour) and he wore the yellow jersey just 6 stages from Paris. Let's wait and see before jumping to early conclusions

I agree with you. We have February it's definitely not a good time to scratch off all season. He looks bad in Portugal but Froome, Nibali, Porte and few more are in the same situation. Of course he was terrible in 2018 but it was only one year in a new team, maybe bigger pressure few things went wrong that all. He is still a leader, let's wait for a Giro.

Fabio Aru: When the iliac artery problem was diagnosed, I cried
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fabio-aru-when-the-iliac-artery-problem-was-diagnosed-i-cried/

“The hair stands up on my arms as I talk about it but when the iliac artery problem was diagnosed, I cried. Only a few people know how much I’ve suffered. Despite total dedication I couldn’t get anywhere near my usual level. I wasn’t myself and so it was impossible to be happy. A tenth place in a race felt like a victory… but I don’t race to finish tenth.”

Don't mean to sound ignorant but it seems like he was suffering (or not getting to usual level) for rather a long time - maybe one whole season at least. How come such thing (more or less common among pros) wasn't diagnosed earlier? Now it looks like another season or at least most relevant part of it is basically lost...
Maybe I'm dead wrong regarding my understanding of the situation but I really feel sorry for this guy - he always trying, always animating the race even if clearly feeling like ***.
Good luck chap!

Re:

glassmoon said:
Don't mean to sound ignorant but it seems like he was suffering (or not getting to usual level) for rather a long time - maybe one whole season at least. How come such thing (more or less common among pros) wasn't diagnosed earlier? Now it looks like another season or at least most relevant part of it is basically lost...
Maybe I'm dead wrong regarding my understanding of the situation but I really feel sorry for this guy - he always trying, always animating the race even if clearly feeling like ****.
Good luck chap!

In the article I posted, it says that it's not the first thing doctors think about when trying to find an ailment.

And a big problem is that you can't detect it while the athlete is at rest. It's only detectable when he is working at near maximal capacity. So you have to look specifically for it to find it.

Dombrowski had the problem for more than a year without even Team Sky's doctors being able to find out what it was.