• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

fantasy doping draft

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Big Mig's La Plagne is a good example of such an attack as well. Just Mig sitting on his bike riding an even pace in complete serenity while the riders around him begin to grimace and suffer until they all drop off.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
How long should we wait until we skip TheGreenMonkey? Feels unfair to do so since he probably doesn't know it started, but don't want to wait forever either.

Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
Netserk said:
He is my 6th, Hitch. The 90's were the best.
I'm surprised to see you have your 5th rider over ulle. You never struck me as nationalistic.
We only have to pick the version from one GT. Fact is that he delivered the single most impressive performance on a MTF ever and that he was a strong TTer as well. If you ask jens_attacks, hrotha and Libertine, I'm sure they all have that version of him ahead of both Ulle and Lance.

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
We only have to pick the version from one GT. Fact is that he delivered the single most impressive performance on a MTF ever and that he was a strong TTer as well. If you ask jens_attacks, hrotha and Libertine, I'm sure they all have that version of him ahead of both Ulle and Lance.
I think I might agree, but maybe not. '97 Ullrich was a beast, his Saint-Étienne TT was as extraterrestrial as anything Indurain ever did and Arcalis was amazing, but he's hurt by his lack of dominance in the final week. Now, much of that apparent lack of dominance was due to the fact that he was well on his way to win the Tour by the largest margins that I can remember, and partly due to a pact of sorts with Festina, but he still didn't look so good in stages 18 and 20 (when he lost the final ITT to Olano). Meanwhile, it's true that '04 Armstrong wasn't really challenged by anyone, it was very easy for him and he did whatever he pleased, but at the same time, and most likely due to the above, he lacks truly outstanding performances that year, except for the ITTs to an extent. He mostly held hands with Basso in the mountains, after all. While he no doubt could have pressed harder if necessary, we're left with guesses and impressions rather than with actual performances.

That other fella we're talking about ended the GT in question on a relatively low note, but what happened before that was way more spectacular and showy than anything Armstrong did in 2004. It's much closer with Ullrich, though, and I think at the end of the day I would pick Ullrich above the other guy.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I think I'd pick 2009 because of the ITT, but I guess he was quite strong in 2007 as well so it's close.

I had one or two more ahead of Contador but he was first of the modern riders on my list.

Anyway, Zlev is up.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm thinking of two guys >Contador as well, but then he did win a time trial in 2009 so it's close.

The Verbier VAM is btw an outlier. Everyone did tremendous vertical ascent meters that day as I recall.

Everyone did well because everyone was doped. It was 2009. This is the same Contador who 2 years earlier destroyed even my Lances record on Plateau (and Lance had 2 goes at it). 2009 he was 2 years further on. Everyone was just as doped as 2009, Contador was maybe even on CERA. The fact that it had been an easy tour up to that point maybe helped a little.

But still he beat Schleck by 43 and the rest by a minute on what was a very short climb, and unsuited to scoring a high VAM

It's interesting how the body of work (i.e. number of GTs won) pretty much prevailed so far. Big Mig and Wonderboy at #1 and #2 make sense. As far as building a roster by picking riders based one season or one GT, most of the best PEDs (Performers Enhanced by Drugs) are still on the board. I'm holding my breath, but quite optimistic picking at #9 and #12. Some of my favorite mutants will still be there.

With the 5th overall pick in The Clinic Fantasy Doping Draft, I select Marco Pantani (1999 Giro)

14xgs2f.jpg

I considered going with the 1998 Giro version of Pantani, when he did 7 w/kg on the 50+ minute climb to Montecampione, but he was far more dominant at the 1999 Giro. Before he was bounced from the race, he amassed a 5 minute and 38 second lead with just one mountain stage to go, where he most likely would have put even more time into everyone else. He won four mountain stages, two of them by over 1 minute and another after he punctured at the base of the climb to Oropa. He was 3rd and 7th in the two time trials and showed no weakness the entire race, at least until he failed a hematocrit test after his win in Madonna di Campiglio, but this is the Fantasy Doping Draft, after all, so there's no problem with that.

Round 1
Pick 1: Libertine Seguros - Miguel Indurain (1995 Tour)
Pick 2: The Hitch - Lance Armstrong (2004 Tour de France)
Pick 3: The Sceptic - Jan Ullrich (1997 TDF)
Pick 4: The Green Monkey - Alberto Contador (2009 TDF)
Pick 5: zlev11 - Marco Pantani (1999 Giro)

TRENDING THREADS