• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

File under "You have got to be &$(%ing kidding me?!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Brilliant how Quenet plays the narrative that doping stopped after the passport was introduced, allowing Evans to win clean.
He hadn't much to say about Riccardo Ricc?, Bernhard Kohl or Stefan Schumacher, who failed doping tests in 2008, the same year that the biological passport was implemented, and Evans finally went on to become a winner of the World Championships, the Fl?che Wallonne and the Tour de France.

It's not a very original thought, but it's coherent and in line with previous accounts.

Vaughters thinks that blood doping is now restricted by the UCI's biological passport - which was introduced in 2008 - a view he says is supported by the slower times that are being recorded on the sport's key climbs.

"In my opinion all of the scientific data that is available right now - the speeds on the crucial climbs in the Tour de France and the mean blood data from the biological passport - all these things point to cycling being a much, much cleaner sport," he told Sky Sports News.
http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/n...and-performance-data-shows-cycling-is-cleaner

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bronstein said:
My favourite part:

Did it ever occur to Quenet that Evans wasn't a victim?
not literal.

rhetoric.

Evans made decision to stay in sport, when he could have left. many never entered a cess pool. in that case, there could be an element of truth in the rhetoric. But Evans might have seen the pursuit of cycling as career, as having virtue in and of itself, and not having to win the big monuments. And not for the rewards, cycling was reward inandofitself. It had value in its act and not the external benefit. It was a rational decision to stay and pursue rewards of cyclist and nothing else.

that is the devils advocate.

but, one should not assume and be reactive, that Evans would see him as victim, if he was riding clean. We cannot know this. Yes, 99% of people, would have some response to doping cyclists. Does not mean this soundbite from Quenet is BS. yeah, does sound like BS. But does not have to be.

I also thought he was not selected for the 2003 and 2004 TdF with Telekom, cos he was never part of the Mannschaft, he was not part of the inner corps, and he asked Godefroot if Ullrich was not on, he would ride for himself.

yes, he broke his clavicles both years. And yes Jan was not riding in 2003 for Telekom he was Bianchi/Coast

ah there are so many examples. TdF final GC 2005:
1. USA ARMSTRONG Lance DSC 86h15'02" 500 DOPER
2. ITA BASSO Ivan CSC 04'40" 375 DOPER
3. GER ULLRICH Jan TMO 06'21" 300 DOPER
4. ESP MANCEBO PEREZ Francisco IBA 09'59" 275 DOPER
5. KAZ VINOKOUROV Alexandre TMO 11'01" 250 DOPER
6. USA LEIPHEIMER Levi GST 11'21" 225 DOPER
7. DEN RASMUSSEN Michael RAB 11'33" 200 DOPER
8. AUS EVANS Cadel DVL 11'55" 175 CLEANS
9. USA LANDIS Floyd PHO 12'44" 150 DOPER
10. ESP PEREIRO SIO Oscar PHO 16'04" 125 Doper Evidence
11. FRA MOREAU Christophe C.A 16'26" 116 Take a guess
12. UKR POPOVYCH Yaroslav DSC 19'02" 107 LOL
13. ITA MAZZOLENI Eddy LAM 21'06" 99 DOPER
14. USA HINCAPIE George DSC 23'40" 91 DOPER
15. ESP ZUBELDIA AGIRRE Haimar EUS 23'43" 83 LOL
16. GER JAKSCHE J?rg LSW 24'07" 75 DOPER
17. USA JULICH Bobby CSC 24'08" 73 DOPER

DirtyWorks said:
Not. A. Single. Word. About. Doping...... Ever.

A proper champion in the UCI's opinion.

But Saint Lemond thinks Evans was a victim and should have won three Tours. What do the Lemond supporters say about that ? Some riders used to mumble a few answers re doping. Evans was in that category. Cliches but still it was something but when Armstrong was caught except for riders that had retired already, it seems the peloton closed ranks. Whenever the D word is mentioned now most riders refuse to answer the question, roll their eyes or get abusive like Cavendish or they mutter the usual "yes it is much cleaner now" that awful previous generation but with recent events at Astana, it seems it's not much cleaner. If Astana was not one of the bigger teams I think their licence would have already been revoked.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Cyclingnews should be embarrassed.

Watch the videos, review the results below.

Cuddles was as doped up as the lot.

What a joke.

Dazed and Confused said:
ah there are so many examples. TdF final GC 2005:
1. USA ARMSTRONG Lance DSC 86h15'02" 500 DOPER
2. ITA BASSO Ivan CSC 04'40" 375 DOPER
3. GER ULLRICH Jan TMO 06'21" 300 DOPER
4. ESP MANCEBO PEREZ Francisco IBA 09'59" 275 DOPER
5. KAZ VINOKOUROV Alexandre TMO 11'01" 250 DOPER
6. USA LEIPHEIMER Levi GST 11'21" 225 DOPER
7. DEN RASMUSSEN Michael RAB 11'33" 200 DOPER
8. AUS EVANS Cadel DVL 11'55" 175 CLEANS
9. USA LANDIS Floyd PHO 12'44" 150 DOPER
10. ESP PEREIRO SIO Oscar PHO 16'04" 125 Doper Evidence
11. FRA MOREAU Christophe C.A 16'26" 116 Take a guess
12. UKR POPOVYCH Yaroslav DSC 19'02" 107 LOL
13. ITA MAZZOLENI Eddy LAM 21'06" 99 DOPER
14. USA HINCAPIE George DSC 23'40" 91 DOPER
15. ESP ZUBELDIA AGIRRE Haimar EUS 23'43" 83 LOL
16. GER JAKSCHE J?rg LSW 24'07" 75 DOPER
17. USA JULICH Bobby CSC 24'08" 73 DOPER

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
Not alone did Evans never say anything, he defended and welcomed back known dopers. Rogers one example.
the platitudes were both in the welcome back, and his talk about doping/doped riders, he sort of did give them a wide berth.

listen, i reckon he had some help, but not much help.

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
What's the best a clean, hugely talented rider could do against a doping field?

How do you reconcile the assumption that Evans finishing 12 minutes behind Armstrong is a dopers performance, yet "Two random French guys" 8 minutes behind Nibali are clean?*

*I recognise the forum doesn't speak with one voice here.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I always thought the best I could do for the fight against doping in sport was to not say anything.

at least he admits he was omerta.

I don't mind Evans tbh, it's not his fault he has fanboys like Lemond and this guy talking horse****.

At least he never pretended to be clean or talked crap about other dopers.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
at least he admits he was omerta.

I don't mind Evans tbh, it's not his fault he has fanboys like Lemond and this guy talking horse****.

At least he never pretended to be clean or talked crap about other dopers.
yes, Quenet. Jeff Quenet as he goes by in the press corps. Jean Francois more formally.

this quote, leaves some logic room "...might as well be remembered as the opener of a new era:the post-Lance Armstrong period marred by excessive doping"

so, this new era. mere non-excessive doping?

and who is the arbiter of this, non-excessive doping?

is recovery doping non-excessive doping?

is doping with butter on your head non-excessive doping?

is doping without getting caught non-excessive doping?

is doping with an equivalent motoman or motowoman or motosky or motoCound that avoids the gendarmes and does not get caught non-excessive doping?

is managing you blood parameters well not to trip the trip-wire in the bio-passport, non-excessive doping?

is non-excessive doping whatever you damn define it as being as long as you are not hit with an infraction or sanction?

how long is a piece of string?

zeno

I just dont unnerstan(sic) this non-excessive doping.

access your doping non-excessive! this is the new Cuddles Kwenay memo. It follows from the 2006 memo. It is like, an addendum to the new cool kids 2006 memo.

dope as long as you like. as long as you like non-excessive doping.

now, I had a go at Betsy wrt her interpretation of evidence Frankie gave on the stand, and said for a layperson, it came off as mealy mouthed. But then I made the caveat later, that i misperceived the scenario on the witness stand, and it was prolly the counsel and attorney who came away looking like it was an incorrectly framed question. In the subject of the court, and on the stand, it was prolly perfectly framed and I was wrong.

wrt Quenet, and the cycling journalist Quenet. This is utter BS, and I have not misinterpreted this. I will not even give him a pass from writing in English and not his native French. He is a journalist, and he should have more rigour when writing about this subject. It just comes off as clumsy, and unprofessional.

TRENDING THREADS