Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1343 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Altitude said:
I have no intention of derailing this thread, but I am stunned that anyone in their right mind would criticize David Foster Wallace. He was an absolute genius who is dearly missed. I swear that you are the first person I have ever heard take a dig at the guy.
Wallace is far from universally revered, though I've found that his groupies--like those of Hemingway--tend to dwell in a small literary bubble.
Long sigh. I let the groupie comment sink in before catching my breath and sitting down to remind everyone that I do not wish to derail this thread. I know it is probably too late, and for that I apologize. I promise I will not take up more space on the topic of David Foster Wallace in a thread devoted to a topic that is now forgotten.
I wont address the fact that most revered writers and academics are considered as quote groupies. We will leave that aside. That comment is what some would call trolling.
Sure, he might not be universally revered, but then again, most people have not read Infinite Jest. Just laying eyes on the tomb would turn a lot of people off before turning a page. My point being is some people tend to criticize before knowing what they are critiquing. I know a lot of people in literary society tend to act like a lot of road cyclists--i.e. assholes. That said, taking a jab at both the writer and readers without explanation is disingenuous at best.
How about this: Make a DFW thread in the proper forum and that way you will always be granted the last word.

JosephK said:
the delgados said:
Altitude said:
macbindle for the lol of the day.
No one except for David Foster Wallace can properly pull off page long sentences.
This is not to bash one of the most thoughtful and valued contributors to this forum, so I am going to suggest that maybe LS purposefully skipped some steps. If not, LS is still the best.
That sentence, like most others posted on internet forums, is better than anything David Foster Wallace ever wrote.
I have no intention of derailing this thread, but I am stunned that anyone in their right mind would criticize David Foster Wallace. He was an absolute genius who is dearly missed. I swear that you are the first person I have ever heard take a dig at the guy.
And now, for a full non-sequitur . . . let me hammer Carlton Kirby. -- Just kidding. He's actually grown on me a bit.
As he should! Kirby is one of the most fascinating sports broadcasters I have ever heard. I don't mean that to say he is the best; I mean he has a way to make what is for the most part a boring sport to watch and make it somewhat interesting. He is a guy I would love to sit down and have a chat with.
But here I go again.
Sorry, please carry on.

rick james said:
you keep coming back to that, Froome isn't in this to be loved by a certain group of fans...

he doesn't care if he's accepted by fans
Why would you think that? Everybody wants to be liked or at least respected. Even Armstrong, who many people have called a sociopath, always craved to be admired.

spalco said:
rick james said:
you keep coming back to that, Froome isn't in this to be loved by a certain group of fans...

he doesn't care if he's accepted by fans
Why would you think that? Everybody wants to be liked or at least respected. Even Armstrong, who many people have called a sociopath, always craved to be admired.
Rick James says "a certain group of fans" it means the anti-Froome, those that will bash him 24/7 for anything, the way he drinks a cup of tea, his elbows, his wheels changes, his house in Monaco, his training places and so on, the 20 people on twitter that obsess about him and go on with the conspiracies about the crash etc.
He blocks them and goes on and races on. no need to bother. no use to care about them

JosephK said:
thehog said:
Froome turns into the Bionic Dawg as his miraculous recovery continues :lol:

Dave Brailsford says Chris Froome only left hospital yesterday an put his feet on the floor for the first time in a long time. Now continuing his recovery at home.
They've made him better, stronger, faster. Internal motors, now. Can't wait for the comeback. :D
There won’t be a big comeback

It's odd that on the start day of the TdF, with the first time in ages that Froome isnt there, and the prospect of having a more open race.....people are still here posting their silly fantasies about Froome.

It's like those people bleating on and on about Cav not being at the Tour, only weirder.

MikeS369

BANNED
Mar 1, 2015
Re:

macbindle said:
It's odd that on the start day of the TdF, with the first time in ages that Froome isnt there, and the prospect of having a more open race.....people are still here posting their silly fantasies about Froome.

It's like those people bleating on and on about Cav not being at the Tour, only weirder.
And here you are. This is the Froome thread afterall.

Re:

macbindle said:

since August 2011, every day that froome is still a pro bike rider is weird...

since September 2011, every day that Froome has been the 'best stage racer of his generation' is even weirder....

gillan1969 said:
macbindle said:

since August 2011, every day that froome is still a pro bike rider is weird...

since September 2011, every day that Froome has been the 'best stage racer of his generation' is even weirder....
You'll have to find another boggie man ...

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts