• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 489 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
I believe the better (preferred) term is Exercise induced Bronchioconstriction as it is distinct from asthma.

But exercise induced asthma has been the way it has been referred to for years and not many people would have even heard of EIB.

I certainly won't rank it as EIA... I had this cough too (who hasn't as a racer?) and it's very different from what I would call an Asthma attack. Then again, Asthma is a blanket term and what I experience isn't what everyone experiences.

I certainly wouldn't grab an inhaler for just that, then again, I experience it every once in a blue moon, so it's easy for me to talk.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
zigmeister said:
...Now you are not going to tell me this isn't a PED advantage? I'll keep saying this over and over, let's just make the same argument for many other drugs, testosterone, thyroid medication etc..etc...performance is relative and unique for each person...

I've had asthma for 45 years or more, lived with it, raced with it etc. My understanding is that Ventolin can't give me something I don't already have. For example when I have an asthma attack my peak flow goes down by about 10-15%, I take Ventolin, but it never gives me back all of that 10-15%, it just makes me a little more comfortable. I'm not sure what advantage if any a person who is not asthmatic would get from taking Ventolin. I have been told by doctors to take a couple of puffs of Ventolin before or during exercise to preempt an an asthma attack.

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
zigmeister said:
Here is my issue....he takes the inhaler without ever having any symptoms?!?! They are typically called rescue inhalers. They can be used preventatively. But unless you know exact triggers that you will encounter/or something to prevent, why take it?

Maybe he does know what will trigger it?....big effort/climb coming up for example.

I have a ventolin inhaler for similar, i know my triggers....i dont need it for low impact stuff like cycling, swimming etc but if i play squash or go kick boxing i will get tight chested and wheezy....so i take a puff or two BEFORE playing those sports.

If i know its going to occur why on earth would i allow myself to become symptomatic first and then have to interrupt the activity to use the inhaler? :confused:

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
deviant said:
Maybe he does know what will trigger it?....big effort/climb coming up for example.

I have a ventolin inhaler for similar, i know my triggers....i dont need it for low impact stuff like cycling, swimming etc but if i play squash or go kick boxing i will get tight chested and wheezy....so i take a puff or two BEFORE playing those sports.

If i know its going to occur why on earth would i allow myself to become symptomatic first and then have to interrupt the activity to use the inhaler? :confused:

Exactly, you can be tested for the triggers, or you can work them out for yourself, it's not rocket science, it's lesson 1 of being an asthmatic. Air getting drier and colder going up a climb will be a trigger for some.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
if a big effort/climb coming up is a 'trigger' (trigger is the wrong word, it is more a pre-emptive use than a response to a trigger according to froome), then we'd have seen him use it many times before, surely.

How many big efforts has he had over the last 3 years alone? (I recall him coughing at the end of one of the mountain stages in last year's TDF, not sure which).

Edit: it was Ventoux 2013, he was coughing violently at the end and needed oxygen after the climb for the first time in his career, according to him.

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Het Laatste Nieuws - link

Miburo said:
Het Laatste Nieuws, surprised they did it. But they're actually really implying doping in the article.

There's better material than this though, this is prob a non-issue, i wonder if someone is gonna dig a bit deeper.

---
Hi - Can you post the link to the article? Because I cannot seem to find it

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
The thing that gets me is the switch from bilharzia to asthma as the explanation for his coughing...
excellent find.

we can trivialize this all we want, fact is we don't even know what was in the inhaler.
fact is that, although asthma is common among procyclists, very rarely do we see them use inhalers during the race. fact is that froome has never mentioned his asthma before, not even to walsh.
fact is froome manages to make a mess out of something potentially innocent

sniper said:
excellent find.

we can trivialize this all we want, fact is we don't even know what was in the inhaler.
fact is that, although asthma is common among procyclists, very rarely do we see them use inhalers during the race.
fact is that froome has never mentioned his asthma before, not even to walsh.

froome manages to let something potentially innocent stink like bad breath.

Well it was reported as his withdrawal from an American bike race

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
The use of salbutamol is a real grey area. I worked in Respiratory for many years, and I remember one memorable visit to the British Olympic Medical Centre (as it was then) in Northwick Park Hospital. They were doing a seminar on asthma in athletes, and they quoted the figure of ~25% of the British olympic team using broncial medication.

At the time they were trialing a new system of diagnosis using a helium-based hyperventilation method (I'm sketchy on the details, I'm afraid) precisely because there was such difficulty in diagnosing the true asthmatics.

Normally, in clinical practice we use either a histamine or metacholine provocation test, to diagnose and grade bronchiohyperrestrictiveness (I think I just made that word up!). It's a pretty memorable test, for anyone who has undergone it and I'm surprised Froome would not have had this, or similar tests, via referral from team Sky. If they claim to be all about marginal gains, wouldn't having the full differential diagnosis on Froome's asthma be of greater relevance than making sure he has a nice soft pillow for sleeping on at night?

Maybe I'm being unfair. Maybe they HAVE done these tests and they have a full working system for Froome's asthma management in place - well if they have, is this not worthy of mention in his autobiography or at the very least in passing in interview etc.? Seems very strange and it's another instance of Sky's self-appointed 'scientific' method seemingly being at odds with their public actions/disclosure. He's asthmatic, that's very relevant for an athlete in his profession.

I have asthma. When I was rowing there were a couple of times when this affected my ergometer tests , now if I was writing the history of my athletic career (limited and of no public interest, I grant you) I would be sure and mention it as part of my story. Yet Froome hasn't.

His use of the inhaler during the stage, well I don't have a problem with that (although I would have thought it was banned, excuse my ignorance of WADA rules), but if part of his asthma management strategy was to use the inhaler 10 minutes pre-hard effort (which is perfectly reasonable from an efficacy point of view) would he not have done this before? Is there evidence that he's done this before?

2 + 2 is making 5 yet again with Froome/Sky. As for his partners #duh, #troll bit... well words fail me on that one. The questions re his alleged asthma were perfectly reasonable, and her attitude hinted at darker motives.

This is just a thought I had, since I know absolutely nothing about drug interactions in people, but perhaps sky has figured out that using some combination of perfectly legal drugs like salbutamol and whatever else actually give quite a substantial boost to athletic performance? A quick google on salbutamol interactions brings up a list of 20 major interactions, 401 moderate interactions, and 27 minor interactions.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
ngent41 said:
This is just a thought I had, since I know absolutely nothing about drug interactions in people, but perhaps sky has figured out that using some combination of perfectly legal drugs like salbutamol and whatever else actually give quite a substantial boost to athletic performance? A quick google on salbutamol interactions brings up a list of 20 major interactions, 401 moderate interactions, and 27 minor interactions.

Wow, if Armstrong had just done a Google search 16 years ago he'd never have had to cheat! Salbutamol gives you 7W/kg ability- incredible.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Nathan12 said:
Wow, if Armstrong had just done a Google search 16 years ago he'd never have had to cheat! Salbutamol gives you 7W/kg ability- incredible.

I'm on a mix of asthma, blood pressure, cholesterol lowering, and gastric reflux drugs and I'm still waiting on my performance uplift.

TRENDING THREADS