• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 472 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
sniper said:
the way froome rode for the stage victory, the way he celebrated it, shows this guy is extremely ehrgeizig. over the top really.
putting all his cards on the table already.
i think he might be loosing it.

I kinda felt the same. He was so desperate to exert his influence and win the stage that he may of played his hand far too soon. Still haven't seen Alberto accelerating out front so I still reckon E.T has the edge at the moment, clearly in the TT too but I reckon Contador has something up his sleeve. Either way they're completely doped to the gills, they made Nibali look like an amateur climber today.

"If people want the entertainment value of riders attacking each other, stopping, attacking each other again and again then go back to 'old cycling', which will give you the capability to do that. If you want clean sport and clean cycling, then it's going to be different. You can't have it both ways. -Dave brailsford 2013

HappyCycling said:
I kinda felt the same. He was so desperate to exert his influence and win the stage that he may of played his hand far too soon. Still haven't seen Alberto accelerating out front so I still reckon E.T has the edge at the moment, clearly in the TT too but I reckon Contador has something up his sleeve. Either way they're completely doped to the gills, they made Nibali look like an amateur climber today.

I sense this as well. There's something inside of Froome, the former dorky stuttering kid who doesn't want to anyone to know he was a geek at school.

I suspect the dope has done wonders for his confidence but that dorky kid is fighting to get out and may be his undoing.

Contador's tactics appear just about right. He's going to follow Froome all around the Tour for 2.5 weeks to the point the Dawg does something ridiculous.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Froome's form continues to puzzle me.

To most it seems he had a massive increase in form in the 2011 Vuelta. In his book Froome says this was normal. He wrote in his book his output in training was that of a Grand Tour Podium rider and the Vuelta was just the first time he was able to perform in a race the way he had in training. He also wrote that he first started using an SRM at the start of the 2006 season. This means that by the 2011 Vuelta he had 6 years of SRM files to share......why not give Grappe some Pre-Vuelta files to show this "Natural" progression? Why only give files that are from the Vuelta onward?

Grappe said that Froomes files showed constancy over the period of Sept 11-July 13. That is likely true. His climbing in the Vuelta 11, Tour 12, Tour 13 seems about the same. His Madone time (32:00) in early June 13 fits into this as well......but 2 weeks later hitting 30:09? That is another outlier.

30:09 represents a massive jump. About 7% better then his other performances. It is Pantani level climbing. If clean it means he is the greatest climber in the history of the sport. The question of why he does not have another performance like that in the 2011-2013 period is as puzzling as how he was suddenly able to perform in the 2011 Vuelta.

What does a rider do to achieve two such massive increases in performance in his career?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
I sense this as well. There's something inside of Froome, the former dorky stuttering kid who doesn't want to anyone to know he was a geek at school.

I suspect the dope has done wonders for his confidence but that dorky kid is fighting to get out and may be his undoing.
hog, that's brilliantly spot on.

Race Radio said:
. If clean it means he is the greatest climber in the history of the sport.

That's the part that gets me. I just can't see that he is.

If Froome rode the 2003 Tour clean then he'd be up the front and attacking and be in a shot of yellow and wining the Tour. He'd even be challenging Armstrong and Ullrich in the TT's.

That just appears.... ummm... whats the word? ummm.... ***!

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:

I know exactly what you mean, the type of person. They can be on top of the world but their true personality disorders are always just below the surface ready to "explode" their mask of normality.

I wonder what will happen when the day comes that his form drops off and others are riding away into the distance. Has anyone had a full blown mental breakdown halfway up a climb?
I don't think there will be any Cocaine overdoses in cheap hotels for Froome, I think something more interesting will happen when the time comes. Does he have access to firearms in Kenya? I sure hope not.

Tactically froome was an absolute joke today.

One of the worst tactical performances I have ever seen, if not number 1.

Towed everyone the whole climb and closed down any attack himself. On 6% that gives a huge advantage to your opponents.

Walsh saying sky win because of tactics is one of his worst contradictions. Not one you can easily demonstrate to the average cycling fan and not one that would constitute "proof" in court, but if you blank out the jersey sponsors and faces, show that clip to 1000 people who have watched or participated in cycling for the last 10 years and asked who was tactically poor, all 1000 will tell you the big bug like silhouette must be that of someone who has probably never ridden a race before.

happychappy said:
I know exactly what you mean, the type of person. They can be on top of the world but their true personality disorders are always just below the surface ready to "explode" their mask of normality.

I wonder what will happen when the day comes that his form drops off and others are riding away into the distance. Has anyone had a full blown mental breakdown halfway up a climb?
I don't think there will be any Cocaine overdoses in cheap hotels for Froome, I think something more interesting will happen when the time comes. Does he have access to firearms in Kenya? I sure hope not.

Perhaps VdB will send Henderson up the road in the break on a mountain climb? Hendy can them remind Froome who he really is! The old Froome will come back... :roll eyes:

Yes, the Dawg is all not what it appears. Not just in his performances but his personality. He seems very vindictive against certain people who make him feel "not cool" - like Wiggins and Henderson. Who are both well known as the cool kids in the peloton.

Can you see the Dawg with ink as cool as Wiggo's?

Walsh is geeky as well. So I can see what these two hillbillies like each other.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Froome's form continues to puzzle me.

To most it seems he had a massive increase in form in the 2011 Vuelta. In his book Froome says this was normal. He wrote in his book his output in training was that of a Grand Tour Podium rider and the Vuelta was just the first time he was able to perform in a race the way he had in training. He also wrote that he first started using an SRM at the start of the 2006 season. This means that by the 2011 Vuelta he had 6 years of SRM files to share......why not give Grappe some Pre-Vuelta files to show this "Natural" progression? Why only give files that are from the Vuelta onward?

Grappe said that Froomes files showed constancy over the period of Sept 11-July 13. That is likely true. His climbing in the Vuelta 11, Tour 12, Tour 13 seems about the same. His Madone time (32:00) in early June 13 fits into this as well......but 2 weeks later hitting 30:09? That is another outlier.

30:09 represents a massive jump. About 7% better then his other performances. It is Pantani level climbing. If clean it means he is the greatest climber in the history of the sport. The question of why he does not have another performance like that in the 2011-2013 period is as puzzling as how he was suddenly able to perform in the 2011 Vuelta.

What does a rider do to achieve two such massive increases in performance in his career?

Why give Grappe the SRM files, why not someone with untarnished credibility?

It aint puzzling at all. It is cycling and to dope is part of the fabric.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Why give Grappe the SRM files, why not someone with untarnished credibility?

It aint puzzling at all. It is cycling and to dope is part of the fabric.

Agreed, many better then Grappe. Still would be interested to see the progression. By this point there should be almost 9 seasons of files.

It is puzzling that there are 2 massive increases in form with no trigger of the biopassport. Yeah, I know it is flawed, but we are talking huge changes in form and output that has not been seen since the 90's. Is it a coverup? Something new?

Dekker_Tifosi said:
"If people want the entertainment value of riders attacking each other, stopping, attacking each other again and again then go back to 'old cycling', which will give you the capability to do that. If you want clean sport and clean cycling, then it's going to be different. You can't have it both ways. -Dave brailsford 2013

It was 2012 I think.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Agreed, many better then Grappe. Still would be interested to see the progression. By this point there should be almost 9 seasons of files.

And the team of transparency wont release them and Walsh is not questioning them either!!!! Where there is smoke........

Race Radio said:
It is puzzling that there are 2 massive increases in form with no trigger of the biopassport. Yeah, I know it is flawed, but we are talking huge changes in form and output that has not been seen since the 90's. Is it a coverup? Something new?

Look at UCI hiding Contador's positive. Why would Cookson blow the whistle on Sky? In his mind Sky are too big to fail. TeamGB would lose all that huge lotto funding they get......Cookson will never get his knighthood is Sky are busted ;)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
froooome said:
What kind of PED is Froome using? Same stuff as Contador and Quintana or something completely different? Any rumours in the peloton?

I'd love to know.

I can't help but think he must be using better stuff than the other dopers, or more of it. If not, he really has a tremendous natural talent that somehow never manifested itself until 2011.

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately Froome is unstoppable! He could have left Contador and the other at anytime he chose not to, he's totally jacked up and probly glows at nite when he sleeps! I've never seen anyone attack seated with that much power!!!! Not real

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it's pretty obvious! Murdoc why would he start cycling team unless he knew it was going to be successful right off the bat. Why invest when you don't need to? have a secret weapon? some scientist probably went straight to Murdoch and said here

thehog said:
That's the part that gets me. I just can't see that he is.

If Froome rode the 2003 Tour clean then he'd be up the front and attacking and be in a shot of yellow and wining the Tour. He'd even be challenging Armstrong and Ullrich in the TT's.

That just appears.... ummm... whats the word? ummm.... ***!

I don't want to derail the topic, but I really wish people would stop saying "***" or "full genius" in this context - yeah I get the reference, but still, it really seems inappropriate.

senatorrick said:
I think it's pretty obvious! Murdoc why would he start cycling team unless he knew it was going to be successful right off the bat. Why invest when you don't need to? have a secret weapon? some scientist probably went straight to Murdoch and said here

I really doubt Murdoch himself gives any ****s whatsoever about Team Sky Cyling.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
And the team of transparency wont release them and Walsh is not questioning them either!!!! Where there is smoke........

Look at UCI hiding Contador's positive. Why would Cookson blow the whistle on Sky? In his mind Sky are too big to fail. TeamGB would lose all that huge lotto funding they get......Cookson will never get his knighthood is Sky are busted ;)

Certainly possible, but the first big jump in form happened on McQuaid's watch. If anyone was motivated to hurt Cookson/British Cycling it was Pat.

Here are some Madone numbers for Tyler Hamilton

30/03/2000 | 63.5 kg | 36:03 | Ht 43, Hb 14.1 | 5.84 W/kg
31/05/2000 | 60.8 kg | 32:32 | Ht 50, Hb 16.4 | 6.45 W/kg

Note the big change in Hct and Hb. Pre-Vuelta 2011 Froome might have been a 35 minute guy, now he is 30 minutes? If he is achieving this via blood manipulation the changes would be massive. To big to ignore, too big to cover up......especially as WADA also get a copy of the tests and can pursue on Off Score alone.

There has to be something new.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
thehog said:
Perhaps VdB will send Henderson up the road in the break on a mountain climb? Hendy can them remind Froome who he really is! The old Froome will come back... :roll eyes:

Yes, the Dawg is all not what it appears. Not just in his performances but his personality. He seems very vindictive against certain people who make him feel "not cool" - like Wiggins and Henderson. Who are both well known as the cool kids in the peloton.

Can you see the Dawg with ink as cool as Wiggo's?

Walsh is geeky as well. So I can see what these two hillbillies like each other.

Great post. I would hazard that his dislike of Contador comes from a similar place. Contador, dope or no dope, looks classy on the bike and is generally a 'cool guy' of the peloton. Whereas Froome is more like the kid who discovered smoking around the back of the bike sheds five years too late.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
roundabout said:
~1680 VAM. Good show.

Edit: wrong profile. Make it 1600
Nothing wrong with that, they were freewheeling at multiple stages...

Race Radio said:

Nothing wrong with Grappe, he just gets to judge the data that is presented to him.

To the bold: it aient in the blood.

TRENDING THREADS