• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fuentes interview

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Saw this on a tennis blog. Anyone got a link to the original article?

In an interview with the newspaper Las Provincias de Valencia, Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes, one of the main players in the 'Operation Puerto', explained: "I have tried many specialties athletes: cyclists, tennis players, football players ... Twenty-five years of professional make room for a lot. "

Without revealing names, the canary physician specified that among his patients have been "30 percent of cyclists, 20 tennis players, another 20 players and 30 per cent belonged to different sports, including athletics is.

I loved the part where he said that he only was extracting blood when the riders came from altitude training and had high hematocrit (53%), so they could race again. So extracting blood is not illegal, is the re-infusion of the blood what is illegal. So the interviewer asked him why he kept the bags. He then replied that just because he has a gun in his house does not mean that he is going to kill anybody. LOL.:D

Now where were those riders doing altitude training, in the Himalaya?

Tyler'sTwin said:
Saw this on a tennis blog. Anyone got a link to the original article?

Thanks for this. Wow. Only 30% cycling. So maybe the perception that this thing of ours is the most dirty sport because of all the positive tests, is wrong.

And so many tennis players. The argument always was that Tennis is one of the most technique based sports. But so many players were getting help from Mr Fuentes. Surprised there werent more footballers there though. Compared to tennis that is a sport were doping would be far more beneficial and where there is far more incentive to dope.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Thanks for this. Wow. Only 30% cycling. So maybe the perception that this thing of ours is the most dirty sport because of all the positive tests, is wrong.

And so many tennis players. The argument always was that Tennis is one of the most technique based sports. But so many players were getting help from Mr Fuentes. Surprised there werent more footballers there though. Compared to tennis that is a sport were doping would be far more beneficial and where there is far more incentive to dope.

in relation to tennis i don't know if anyone saw Andy Murray's (Scottish) comments about needing to get stronger, like Nadal? :rolleyes:

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
What I don't understand is why this idiot doesn't name the people involved. End of story. If he doesn't want to come out and say it... leak it to some obscure local newspaper. Force the larger media outlets to investigate how much doping is a daily thing for Spanish athletes.

This is what irritates the heck out of all Spanish fans of all sports... you hear alegations, you hear rumours, you here "whispers"... yet nothing is actually said in public.

WTF?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Señor_Contador said:
What I don't understand is why this idiot doesn't name the people involved. End of story. If he doesn't want to come out and say it... leak it to some obscure local newspaper. Force the larger media outlets to investigate how much doping is a daily thing for Spanish athletes.

This is what irritates the heck out of all Spanish fans of all sports... you hear alegations, you hear rumours, you here "whispers"... yet nothing is actually said in public.

WTF?

The guy is still in business. He does not want to hurt his business.

Fuentes made over $3,000,000 with his business in a short time. Keeping quite insures that revenue stream continues.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
what I want to know is why non of the other sports are investigating this and demanding he hand over names.

How many cyclists were actually linked to Puerto though ? So far only about 4 people have been banned for it so how many people is this actual 30% ?

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
So the interviewer asked him why he kept the bags. He then replied that just because he has a gun in his house does not mean that he is going to kill anybody. LOL.:D

Why LOL? That is quite a rational explanation. Fuentes isn't going to shoot anybody w/ the gun. As for all the blood in his freezer, he might just use it occasionally when making blood pudding or perhaps a splash of it in a balsamic reduction or light vinagrette. :eek:

Of course no other sports federations are investigating. Sports federations at the professional level exist to promote their sport, grow revenues, and keep scandals to a minimum.

I didn't know Fuentes was based in the Canarys. That would explain why all these guys were heading out to do "camps" in the Canarys. I just thought it was for the nice views and good local sangria....

Señor_Contador said:

WTF?

There are a lot of people who are very commited in making sure that Iniesta and Xavi (among others) dont get named as clients by a blood doctor. There is too much at stake for that too happen. ;)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
There are a lot of people who are very commited in making sure that Iniesta and Xavi (among others) dont get named as clients by a blood doctor. There is too much at stake for that too happen. ;)

so how come you are saying these people are involved. All i've heard so far are Real and Barca players linked plus tennis.

Even with the nicknames all we got was son of rudi, Cowboy and AC. Even that seemed strange as how would they know what code name was for what sport ?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
THISISIT said:
Why in the world would he name his clients?

That's just bad business.

Well...

1. After Operación Puerto, would you still want to be one of Fuentes' clients?

2. If you're Eufemiano, knowing that The Law has a bulls eye on you... isn't saying 30 percent of cyclists, 20 tennis players, another 20 players and 30 per cent belonged to different sports, including athletics another way of naming your clients?

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Señor_Contador said:
WTF?

His defence from prosecution is that he is a practising physician and that he has has been treating his patients to prevent their job making them ill. The flip side is doctor-patient confidentiality. If he wants to not be struck off, then he needs to maintain that.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
If I am not mistaken Nadal was intuitively mention because of the Manzano confessions. One day he was in the waiting room and he saw him. But he did not mention his name directly but said it was a top player from his country (hint, hint). Not sure where the link is.

When it comes to Nadal... I just don't know about him and doping... I sincerely doubt that uncle Toni allows someone to put Rafa's health in danger. I mean, putting GH, IGF1 or anabolics into your blood really f*cks up your blood parameters for life, so if I were Nadal Sr. I certainly would not allow it.

When it comes to the top player in question, the one insinuated by Manzano, I would suspect people like Moyá or Ferrero. These two had some more than suspicious up and downs.

If there is one Spanish athlete I believe is totally clean and is just a world class freak of nature that is Rafa Nadal. He's never been busted for recreational drugs. He doesn't party until the wee hours of the morning. He's never been busted for anything. You know, the sort of things you do when you lower the bar substantially, or the constant "high" you live on when you take PEDs.

I mean, he's always walked a straight line. If you google his name you'll find videos of him when he was barely past 10 years old, showing incredible maturity and self criticism.

Just my opinion though.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Señor_Contador said:
Well...

1. After Operación Puerto, would you still want to be one of Fuentes' clients?

2. If you're Eufemiano, knowing that The Law has a bulls eye on you... isn't saying 30 percent of cyclists, 20 tennis players, another 20 players and 30 per cent belonged to different sports, including athletics another way of naming your clients?

Does "The Law" have a bull's eye on him?

What he has done and is doing by continuing to bring things like this up, is he is tying the hands of the authorities in Spain. He is saying come after me and I'll wreck Spanish sport, including soccer.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
NashbarShorts said:
I didn't know Fuentes was based in the Canarys. That would explain why all these guys were heading out to do "camps" in the Canarys. I just thought it was for the nice views and good local sangria....

IIRC, there have been reports that his "office" in the Canary islands was not raided as part of OP.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
keen_but_slow said:
His defence from prosecution is that he is a practising physician and that he has has been treating his patients to prevent their job making them ill. The flip side is doctor-patient confidentiality. If he wants to not be struck off, then he needs to maintain that.

If that's the case he's an idiot.

Here's a guy that made 3,000,000 Euros doping people to the gills. Yet it took him almost 2 days to post the 120,000 Euro bail.

Another thing I don't get about these people is that they know they're doing something they're not supposed to be doing. Yet, they do, telling themselves that their doing it on a "favor" basis. Once busted, they name anyone and everyone that comes to mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if, after forfeiting his client confidentiality agreement, he names the Pope and Mother Theresa as two of his clients.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
THISISIT said:
Does "The Law" have a bull's eye on him?

What he has done and is doing by continuing to bring things like this up, is he is tying the hands of the authorities in Spain. He is saying come after me and I'll wreck Spanish sport, including soccer.

Oh, come on! You don't really think The Law really cares how much damage he can do to Spanish sports right? The Law can make Eufemiano disappear in a second.

In fact, I can tell you how they'd do it: Kidnap him for a couple of hours, inject him with some cocaine and put him in a car in a desolate part of the Canary Islands. All of a sudden he has an accident and noone will notice.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Se&#241 said:

WTF?

Maybe because of this?

All that may come to my knowledge in the exercise of my profession or in daily commerce with men, which ought not to be spread abroad, I will keep secret and will never reveal.

-- From the Hippocratic oath

Señor_Contador said:
When it comes to Nadal... I just don't know about him and doping... I sincerely doubt that uncle Toni allows someone to put Rafa's health in danger. I mean, putting GH, IGF1 or anabolics into your blood really f*cks up your blood parameters for life, so if I were Nadal Sr. I certainly would not allow it.

The " they dont do it because its harmfull theory". Problem is it doesnt really work because its been used time and time again by people who have been caught. Including by the most controversial figure in out thing.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
If I am not mistaken Nadal was intuitively mention because of the Manzano confessions. One day he was in the waiting room and he saw him. But he did not mention his name directly but said it was a top player from his country (hint, hint). Not sure where the link is.

If Manzano's summary biography in wikipedia is correct, he left Kelme at the end of 2003. Nadal broke in the tennis scene during the 2004 Davis Cup Final, and he finished 51st in the ATP ranking that year. So speculation about who that top tennis player was might have to point to someone else.