• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fuglsang and Lutsenko under investigation for cooperation with Michele Ferrari.

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I disagree with the notion that Fuglsang has suddenly become a top gt rider, he only has one top 10 finish in a gt and that was in 2013. Yes, he suddenly improved, but in the races that always suited him more, shorter stage races and hard one day races. That said, last year he was the most impressive road cyclist of the spring season. With Lutsenko it is also mainly results in shorter stage races and one day races, but some of his performances are really out of the blue, mainly him dominating 2 editions of the Tour of Oman and also finishing first and second on the MTF and finishing top 10 in the Dauphine and top 20 in the Tour while being a domestique.

Also, 2019 was a season where Fuglsang avoided crashes and injuries - he has had his fair share of those over the years. And he went more for the one day races in 2019 than he has previously done (despite many people suggesting he should have done it earlier, especially after his silver medal in Rio). Those two factors alone can explain a significant part of his good results last year.

Last edited:
I disagree with the notion that Fuglsang has suddenly become a top gt rider, he only has one top 10 finish in a gt and that was in 2013. Yes, he suddenly improved, but in the races that always suited him more, shorter stage races and hard one day races. That said, last year he was the most impressive road cyclist of the spring season. With Lutsenko it is also mainly results in shorter stage races and one day races, but some of his performances are really out of the blue, mainly him dominating 2 editions of the Tour of Oman and also finishing first and second on the MTF and finishing top 10 in the Dauphine and top 20 in the Tour while being a domestique.

I searched for GT and grand tour in this thread and can't find the notion that you disagree with.

And regardless of what races suited him more, an improvement at age 32 after 8 pro seasons is not normal.

By the numbers

top-5 in major shorter stage races

2009-2016 - 3
2017-2019 - 6

best finish in a major short stage race

2009-2016 - 3rd
2017-2019 - 2x1st, 3 times better finish than the best finish previously

1-day races best finish

2009-2016 - 2x4th
2019 alone - 5 results equal or better than 4th

yes, he has an Olympic silver, but some fortune played a part in that unlike his 2019 1-day rides where he was arguably among the very strongest in each 1-day race he did in the spring

2009-2016 - 3
2017-2019 - 6

2009-2016 - 3rd

1-day races best finish

2009-2016 - 2x4th

yes, he has an Olympic silver, but some fortune played a part in that unlike his 2019 1-day rides where he was arguably among the very strongest in each 1-day race he did in the spring

But if you define the improvement as something that happened already in 2017, then what about the fact that Fuglsang stopped his collaboration with coach Rune Larsen (who he has worked with for many years) at the end of 2018? It would be more logical to see his 2019 successes as a result of "new methods" that differ from the ones he used in the 2018 season and before.

I searched for GT and grand tour in this thread and can't find the notion that you disagree with.

And regardless of what races suited him more, an improvement at age 32 after 8 pro seasons is not normal.

By the numbers

2009-2016 - 3
2017-2019 - 6

2009-2016 - 3rd

1-day races best finish

2009-2016 - 2x4th

My bad, it was about him becoming a top gc rider and that made me mainly think about gts.

Wait, wait, wait. Riis was using Prozac? For what? Interesting.
"The pills made me feel much more positive, which allowed me to see possibilities rather than limitations. This really seemed to help at stage races, which can be very stressful mentally, and where maintaining a positive frame of mind could really help."

Riis had to be flipped around like a pancake at night to keep his blood circulating. Prozac indeed might've been essential to focus on possibilities and benefits of his EPO usage, rather than being scared to die!

But if you define the improvement as something that happened already in 2017, then what about the fact that Fuglsang stopped his collaboration with coach Rune Larsen (who he has worked with for many years) at the end of 2018? It would be more logical to see his 2019 successes as a result of "new methods" that differ from the ones he used in the 2018 season and before.

For me something had already happened in 2017, regardless of who was the coach at the time. His Dauphine performance was quite a surprise for me.

"The pills made me feel much more positive, which allowed me to see possibilities rather than limitations. This really seemed to help at stage races, which can be very stressful mentally, and where maintaining a positive frame of mind could really help."

Riis had to be flipped around like a pancake at night to keep his blood circulating. Prozac indeed might've been essential to focus on possibilities and benefits of his EPO usage, rather than being scared to die!
Pro cycling is painful and depressing. Prozac and tramadol are as important as sugar and electrolytes.

It's a mixed bag that the report got leaked. As I suggested it was simply what it was: Someone heard/said something, and it was commissioned to try to determine whether it was true/false. I gather that whatever evidence was in it was not actionable or was circumstantial. Ideally it would have never seen the light of day.

OTOH, as noted, it will keep a few riders on their toes this season.

Reactions: Koronin
It's a mixed bag that the report got leaked. As I suggested it was simply what it was: Someone heard/said something, and it was commissioned to try to determine whether it was true/false. I gather that whatever evidence was in it was not actionable or was circumstantial. Ideally it would have never seen the light of day.

OTOH, as noted, it will keep a few riders on their toes this season.

Maybe it's serving as a warning that they are paying attention? However, I agree with what has basically been said that normally this wouldn't have ever been known outside a handful of people who were looking into it.

Indeed, Lance is not on the list.
Thank you for proving my point that people simply don't understand the rule.

Here's someone who has gone to the bother of looking at the list, seeing it doesn't have LA's name in it and then sought to demonstrated their own inability to understand the opening paragraph quoted from here:
The Prohibited Association List includes the name, nationality and end date of the disqualifying status of Athlete Support Personnel who have committed anti-doping rule violations. All Athletes are prohibited from associating with any such Athlete Support Personnel pursuant to Article 2.10 of the Code. However, Athletes should be aware that they are also prohibited from associating with any Athlete or other Person who is currently serving a period of ineligibility, and who has, while ineligible, acted as an Athlete Support Person.
LA is subject to the prohibited association rule. And of course his name would not appear on a list of support personnel. He was sanctioned as an athlete.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
could you rephrase/clarify that please, I'm interested in what you are saying. Thanks.

I guess, if you saw what Schuhmacher did in week 3 and combine that with the fact that Kohl didn't use his 2nd rest day blood bag, while still only finishing a little bit over 1 minute behind Sastre in the GC, it is not too far fetched that he would have been the favourite if he went all-in. Being a Tour winner may have gave him some kind of special standing and maybe he would not have been poped because UCI couldn't afford 3 Tours in a row with the yellow jersey going out.

But impossible to say.

TRENDING THREADS