• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Future stars

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
what betancourt showed in final stage of giro, at age 21 I don;t think I've ever seen done. amazing. he is 21!! the class drips almost literally of him

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
what betancourt showed in final stage of giro, at age 21 I don;t think I've ever seen done. amazing. he is 21!! the class drips almost literally of him

Yeah, but that's Grand Tours. I'm talking solely about the classics.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
he ride with acqua, he only rode 1 classic and he was VERY strong, especially in the final and he was alone in his team. that;s what is amazing also in the giro stage, he gets better by days and by km, which is a rare feat for riders and especially young riders.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he ride with acqua, he only rode 1 classic and he was VERY strong, especially in the final and he was alone in his team. that;s what is amazing also in the giro stage, he gets better by days and by km, which is a rare feat for riders and especially young riders.

Hence we can't fully judge him yet in the classics. 9th in Lombardia this year might as well translate in being 30th at LBL next year.

He should go to a team like Liquigas in the future. Or Lampre. Don't want to see him at Movistar because he'll just have to be a domestique there for Valverde and the likes. I guess he speaks Italian?

Ryo Hazuki said:
italian u23 riders are hard to judge because a lot of them are doped, especially in bigger teams like zalf, trevigiani and de nardi. when turning pro it remains to be seen how much they can grow as a clean rider of maybe they never doped at all. also a mental thing to be doped and then have to ride clean again.

You might be right I can only guess. But still I think that the way the italian u23 riders have had troubles both international and even winning their own big amateurraces like the Baby Giro or Aosta lately, a doping advantage cant be that big. When Betancourt and Beltran for instance destroyed the Babygiro-field last season I doubt they would be able to do this (clean at least) if the italian elite was so doped.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
MADRAZO said:
You might be right I can only guess. But still I think that the way the italian u23 riders have had troubles both international and even winning their own big amateurraces like the Baby Giro or Aosta lately, a doping advantage cant be that big. When Betancourt and Beltran for instance destroyed the Babygiro-field last season I doubt they would be able to do this (clean at least) if the italian elite was so doped.

a good example now is santoro, he is an amazing talent and most likely clean as u23 as he rode for smaller local team. he did very well the past few months with androni

Gesink, Stevo and Mollema. Who will win first a GT at their respective races ( TDF, Giro and Vuelta )

Henao seems logical.
Porte maybe. Haas if he gets accustomed to European climbs quick enough. Durbridge and Bobridge to soon be Australias' next P-R stars putting their big frames and ITTing skills on the line. I also think Matthews could win races like M-SR as well ( Flanders might be too tough until older )
Froome and Kennaugh. Wiggins as well.
Rolland if the 2013 route includes a lot of decisive climbs which it might.
Sagan to win monuments definitely.
Landa to be the next big climber from spain. Pinot will match him though.
TJVG to be Americas next GT winner ( along with maybe Busche ) and Phinney to try match Bobridge and Durbridge at races like P-R.
I would say Machado but have lost a bit of faith in him.
I think Kreuziger within the next 5 years should be able to win a GT or a race like LBL.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I remember recently there was a web chat with Dave Brailsford and he was asked who was the best young talent outside Sky. And he said Thibaut Pinot. I tend to agree. He's the great French hope, not Rolland.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Germain, not Jermaine.

Let's not overhype him though. Sport is littered with prodigies that never made it.

He's a sensible lad. If he doesn't make it, it won't be because the hype got to him. Either way, he's still a fair few years away. Exciting though.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
hatcher said:
He's a sensible lad. If he doesn't make it, it won't be because the hype got to him. Either way, he's still a fair few years away. Exciting though.

I'm sure he is sensible. However, I've recently been reading a book called Bounce by Matthew Syed (an excellent book about sport), which goes into depth about the risks of youngsters being told they are 'talented'. Fortunately, the British Cycling set-up is mentioned as an antithesis to this.

He'll certainly be someone I'll look out for, and have even 'raced' against. (By raced, I mean we were in the same sportif. I don't imagine he stopped for an ice cream and a cigarette at the top of each climb)

In the category of U23s or neo-pros I'm surprised noone has mentioned Mattia Cattaneo yet. He's received a little buzz on this forum as well for some solid U23 results this season.Turned 21 last month and won the GiroBio and podiumed Avenir this year. Will join Lampre next season in august as a stagaire I read round these parts.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I like the guy.

He knows his stuff on Coppi and Mercx and also mentions the Giro in the same breath as the Tour.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/7950461/Germain-Burton-QandA.html

The type of British rider I like (and Sky have a few of those).

I like him too. But he won't be helped by hype. He's an exceptional talent, but the riders who make it are the ones who work for it, not the great talents (for example Cavendish only made the GB Academy on a split vote. We can all point to the likes of Jamie Burrows and Evgeni Petrov in cycling and kids like Sonny Pike and Nii Lamptey in football to see how dreams don't always come true. Hopefully, Rod Ellingworth will take a role in his progress. If he does, then he'll turn out OK.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
I like him too. But he won't be helped by hype. He's an exceptional talent, but the riders who make it are the ones who work for it, not the great talents (for example Cavendish only made the GB Academy on a split vote. We can all point to the likes of Jamie Burrows and Evgeni Petrov in cycling and kids like Sonny Pike and Nii Lamptey in football to see how dreams don't always come true. Hopefully, Rod Ellingworth will take a role in his progress. If he does, then he'll turn out OK.

That's not very surprising. Cavendish before he broke through could hardly finish a cycling race.

greenedge said:
G
I would say Machado but have lost a bit of faith in him.

Darth-Vader-I-FIND-YOUR-LACK-OF-FAITH-DISTURBING.jpg

tho i must say i agree with you as well. the guy needs to learn a lot if he wants to win something. honestly i have a lot of faith in rui costa to become a really big big star for the ardennes starting next year, i dunno why he just seems to have what it takes, i certainlly see a lot more in him then in offredo.

also rafael reis will be on a WT team in 3 years max the guy is a machine!!!

hrotha said:
I'm putting my money on him too.

Also, on a different level (since he's already been a pro for years), Madrazo.

We saw quite a bit of Madrazo this year, hilly Spanish semi-classics and Tirreno-Adriatico being the most memorable. He certainly likes an ambitious late attack. Very entertaining rider and as he gets stronger and races smarter he'll definitely be one to watch. Perhaps if we're talking the GTs and the Monuments then Lombardia is most likely where we should be looking for him.

TRENDING THREADS