• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General Doping Thread.

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
De Vuyst now going the Betsema way

nothing can go wrong with Maeschalck as your lawyer:
-defended Leinders
-avoided a ban for someone with more clen than Contador
-avoided a ban for cocaine Boonen
-defended Keisse
-got a ban lifted for someone with 2 EPO positives
-defended Betsema

Also interesting what Sporza wrote back then about De Vuyst:

Dutch and Belgian made really try to wash their athletes clean. It's always supposed to be something "never seen before", "more complicated than it looks" or whatever.
The "contamination" excuse is really getting old

It's quite clear that all they need to do is ban supplements . . . then we'll no there are PEDs left in the pro ranks

GVFTA

BANNED
Surprised no one has posted this yet. We all need a good laugh at this point in time. Not that it is really that funny, but.....

• Haha
Reactions: Koronin
Well, this should work out well . . . for all those pros who have been "self-testing" at home to make sure their glow times are reduced enough before official testing:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/usada-begins-pilot-program-for-self-administered-anti-doping-tests/

I had to check to ensure this didn't come from the Onion. This really sounds like it should be satire. How are satire publications supposed to stay in business when reality is crazier than satire?

Well, this should work out well . . . for all those pros who have been "self-testing" at home to make sure their glow times are reduced enough before official testing:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/usada-begins-pilot-program-for-self-administered-anti-doping-tests/
Hmmmm, while laughable this also sounds intriguing, and also hopefully only a temporary fix because of covid.

One of several questions that come to mind - how are they supposedly able to monitor the temperature of the urine to make sure it's fresh? Also, to ensure the samples are the actual athlete's - wouldn't they have to run some kind of DNA tests on the samples? It all sounds rather not cheap.

Obviously I wouldn't trust athletes with self-administered doping tests as far as I could throw them, but how the whole testing process itself is supposed to work piques my interest.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, while laughable this also sounds intriguing, and also hopefully only a temporary fix because of covid.

One of several questions that come to mind - how are they supposedly able to monitor the temperature of the urine to make sure it's fresh? Also, to ensure the samples are the actual athlete's - wouldn't they have to run some kind of DNA tests on the samples? It all sounds rather not cheap.

Obviously I wouldn't trust athletes with self-administered doping tests as far as I could throw them, but how the whole testing process itself is supposed to work piques my interest.

The problem with DNA is siblings have the same DNA.

The problem with DNA is siblings have the same DNA.
The more I think about it the more comical it becomes - what kind of very specific testing would the labs have to do in order to verify the samples are actually the athlete's?

Not sure which TV show or movie scenes I had seen this in ( it probably doesn't even apply in these athletic doping testing cases, but if there should be some cheating going on), wouldn't it be funny if the labs had called up and said something like - Mr. Froome, do you realize you are 6 weeks pregnant? Or, Mr. Dumoulin, we are very concerned about your bone density. Are you aware you have the osteoporosis of an 80yr. old woman?

• Haha
The more I think about it the more comical it becomes - what kind of very specific testing would the labs have to do in order to verify the samples are actually the athlete's?

Not sure which TV show or movie scenes I had seen this in ( it probably doesn't even apply in these athletic doping testing cases, but if there should be some cheating going on), wouldn't it be funny if the labs had called up and said something like - Mr. Froome, do you realize you are 6 weeks pregnant? Or, Mr. Dumoulin, we are very concerned about your bone density. Are you aware you have the osteoporosis of an 80yr. old woman?

It's very comical. Hence the reason I had to do a double take and ensure I wasn't reading a headline from the Onion.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
LOL, that's always possible. Funny enough, speaking of TP the grocery store I typically shop at had a total of 4 packages of 4 rolls each of TP for the first time since this entire crisis started.
Yay for the TP!

I finally saw some TP in my regular store again today, but still no yeast for baking. I totally blame The Great British Baking Show for this...

And I apologize for totally veering off-topic, so, as you were.

Eurosport has been rebroadcasting key TdF stages from the past 30 years or so. It's crazy to watch the EPO years -- Indurain, Chiapucci, Pantani, Riis, Virenque, Jalabert etc.

Also, just how closely LA/Postal and Froome/Sky resemble each other -- an unlikely leader + buying up the best doms == win!

I <<think>> I buy into the argument that cycling is cleaner now (not clean). But it could very well turn out that any retroactive testing finds something from the 2010s equivalent to EPO.

Reactions: fbjim
I capped my vintage TdF binge with the 1998 Galibier stage where Pantani took 7 minutes from Ulrich. Dirtiest Tour ever? Obviously there's a lot of competition for that title, but even after Festina the rest of the field is a who's who of dopers...too bad, there were some fabulous stages on offer, the bikes were cool too...but I can only look back and cringe when I listen to the announcers get so excited about something that we now know was more like professional wrestling than true sport...

In the old days the DCO didn't witness the collection, so a urine switch or protese etc was easy to carry out and even if caught, you would probably just forfeit the next race or pay a fine anyway. Since WADA, the DCO chaperones you from the finish line and once in Doping Control asks you to select a sample collection vessel. You disrobe from knees to navel and elbows to hands and he/she has to have an unobstructed view as you pass 'your' urine sample into the vessel. ie they have to see the urine exit your own body. The DCO then asks you to select a sample kit and you witness him splitting the urine from the vessel into A & B and seal each one. The process is basically the same for blood too.

The Samples are then placed in with all the other samples. This container has a built-in temperature data logger in accordance to WADA guidelines. This allows the lab to see the temperature history of that box of samples during transport.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
In the old days the DCO didn't witness the collection, so a urine switch or protese etc was easy to carry out and even if caught, you would probably just forfeit the next race or pay a fine anyway. Since WADA, the DCO chaperones you from the finish line and once in Doping Control asks you to select a sample collection vessel. You disrobe from knees to navel and elbows to hands and he/she has to have an unobstructed view as you pass 'your' urine sample into the vessel. ie they have to see the urine exit your own body. The DCO then asks you to select a sample kit and you witness him splitting the urine from the vessel into A & B and seal each one. The process is basically the same for blood too.

The Samples are then placed in with all the other samples. This container has a built-in temperature data logger in accordance to WADA guidelines. This allows the lab to see the temperature history of that box of samples during transport.
Thanks for the info, I've never been tested as an athlete. I have been tested for drugs as an employee, but all that entailed was just peeing in a cup while no-one is watching, and then handing the sample off to the employer who does some kind of an instant swab test. That is very different from world-class athlete testing, though, no doubt.

TRENDING THREADS