• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 400 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gotta say overall the Dana Point Gran Prix is great. The organization is outstanding. I got a chance to chat with Landis and got a Floyd's of Leadville T-shirt..got a small so it will go to the lady of the house. Zabriskie was also there, both guys did some announcing. Postcard perfect, the race is located on the small cliffs above Dana Point Harbor and the race course is @100 ft from a beautiful view of the Pacific.
Sea Otter done and Redlands, next week..and then the Tour of California and that will conclude my race viewing unless I can stomach the bloodbath of Manhattan Beach..

more bad news

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/triathlet...ing-after-freak-accident-20170430-gvw026.html
original post http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4...-fight-of-life-after-freak-training-accident/
More sad news -
Triathlete Lauren Parker given 1 per cent chance of walking after freak accident

"We were about 40 kilometres into the ride apparently, because I don't remember this and I was told by my training partner that we were just riding along as normal and my front and rear tyre both burst at the same time," Parker said.

"This does not happen. It's a freak accident. It never happens."

Parker said police at the scene could find no reason as to why her tyres both blew.

"The police arrived before the ambulance and the police and my two training partners were all just looking at the ground, trying to figure out what had punctured my tyres, but there was absolutely nothing on the ground," she said.

"They even looked at my tyres and there was nothing in them, they had just burst. It was a brand new bike with brand new tyres, so it's such a terrible, freak accident."

Re:

luckyboy said:
Tour of Britain route just got presented. Looks very flat, which is lame.

Seems a strange decision as they've had good fields in recent years catering to Worlds contenders. I guess the length is good for preparation but hard to imagine the field will be that great.

2h39e93.jpg
Pathetic, missing the best parts of Scotland out again.

Re: Re:

rick james said:
luckyboy said:
Tour of Britain route just got presented. Looks very flat, which is lame.

Seems a strange decision as they've had good fields in recent years catering to Worlds contenders. I guess the length is good for preparation but hard to imagine the field will be that great.

2h39e93.jpg
Pathetic, missing the best parts of Scotland out again.
In fairness, this year missing out the best parts wasn't a problem exclusive to Scotland

Re:

Kazistuta said:
Yet another DNF for Malori... so sad that it seems he can't come back to cycling for good.
A real shame. He is getting a lot of encouragement from his team mates on twitter. I hope that things improve for him. It must be so hard and amazing that he keeps trying.

Re:

Nirvana said:
For the 2018 Giro seems that Israel has surpassed Poland for the start.
I've never take seriously the Japan rumors because i think it's undoable.
http://iltirreno.gelocal.it/italia-mondo/2017/05/27/news/giro-2018-israele-sorpassa-la-polonia-1.15400986

Another new rumor in the article is the stage in Belice to commemorate the earthquake and the candidature of Prato Nevoso for a stage finish, the others like the double Zoncolan and Sorgenti del Piavere are already in the air by months.

Making it start in a bordering country would make much more sense.

1.) A small time trial in Malta followed by a couple of stages in Sicily.
2.) Three opening stages in the Croatia-Slovenia region.

Bratislava and Budapest would make fine opening cities too. You can get to Italy in less than 3 stages.

Tunisia is another possibility.

Velolover2 said:
Nirvana said:
http://iltirreno.gelocal.it/italia-mondo/2017/05/27/news/giro-2018-israele-sorpassa-la-polonia-1.15400986

Another new rumor in the article is the stage in Belice to commemorate the earthquake and the candidature of Prato Nevoso for a stage finish, the others like the double Zoncolan and Sorgenti del Piavere are already in the air by months.

Bratislava and Budapest would make fine opening cities too. You can get to Italy in less than 3 stages.

Netherlands, Denmark, Ireland.
I think it's pretty obvious that the Giro organisers aren't that concerned with making sense. Though, Japan might still be too far away, suppose it needs to be possible to move everybody back to Italy within a day.

Velolover2 said:
Nirvana said:

I think they based it on the money that the start location would pay.
They'll continue with the format with three stages near the start location then a rest day to fly in the southern Italy for the rest of the first week of the race.
But that's impossible for Japan, they need two intercontinental travel in a week, riders and teams will boicott it, if UCI allows RCS to do so.

Velolover2 said:
Nirvana said:

Greece is fine, and I've previously designed Giri (not published) opening in Albania as they seem to be developing an interest for the sport slowly and there's a large Albanian expat community in Italy now.

Morocco for the Vuelta won't happen as long as they're keen for Ceuta and Melilla to play a role. Which is a shame as you could have a great start around parts of the Rif mountains to create a less than straightforward introduction, then cross over to Algeciras or La Linea. In the one I designed it was Casablanca TT, Casablanca - Rabat and Ksar el-Kebir - Tangier, but Fes - Fes, Fes - Chefchaouen, Chefchaouen - Tangier could also work well. I think they'd be looking more for something like Tangier - Tangier, Tangier - Tetouan, Ceuta - Ceuta though, which will cause more issues with the Moroccans.

What would an Israel start consist of? Presumably they'd be flying to Italy from Ben Gurion, so would need to end stage 3 somewhere at least close to Tel Aviv. Would expect that to be the base in all fairness, though perhaps something like Tel Aviv - Tel Aviv (chrono, either ITT or TTT - too flat for an opening road stage as likely to struggle with a categorized climb), Tel Aviv - Haifa (mostly flat along the coast but with Mount Carmel as a climb so potentially an interesting stage), Haifa or somewhere nearby - Tel Aviv or somewhere nearby (flat stage).

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Please just ascent Zoncolan one time and add Crostis to the equation instead. Still, ascending Zoncolan 2 times sounds alot more interesting than Alpe d' Huez 2 times..
The big problem is that they want to do 2 different ascents of the Zoncolan and with it also being the MTF there would be huge crowds, that and the narrow steep road would make the Zoncolan descent a nightmare to deal with.
The plan is to do the classic side from Ovaro early, then the never used side from Priola, 8.9km at 12.8% as the MTF. I think Zoncolan from Ovaro is a better MTF because of the nasty middle part of the climb and the easier final 2km, if the rest of the stage is hard enough it has the potential to create big gaps.
The easier way to create such a stage would be Zoncolan from Priola until the road converges with the one from Sutrio, it would be 5.6km at 13% then descent down to Sutrio, then Sella Valcalda and then Zoncolan from Ovaro and maybe you could even have 1 or 2 climbs before the ascent from Priola.
Regarding GT starts in other countries, I wouldn't mind seeing a TdF start in Algeria, it could be a gesture of reconciliation.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
I'd prefer Ovaro - Zonc - Sutrio - Priola - Zonc to the junction.
From a pure racing perspective that could work really well and there would be a parking lot and enough space to host a MTF, but the Zoncolan descent with limited support (only motobikes) and all those braindead idiots that you usually have on the Zoncolan, that could be a problem.

TRENDING THREADS