• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 399 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

luckyboy said:
Someone know who this rider is? Can't recognise the photo https://www.strava.com/athletes/5654017

He rode these races, but can't find someone who did them all:

2010 - Montreal, Quebec
2011 - Ronde, Roubaix, Amstel, Liege
2012 - Tour Med, Le Samyn, Britain, Lombardia, Beijing
2013 - Trofeo Migjorn, Trofeo Platja de Muro, Liege

I just found him because he's KOM for Côte de Saint-Nicolas

No riders were at all those races. Even taking only the monuments, nobody was at all of them.
The closest is Grivko, rode all the WT races except Roubaix 2011

Re:

luckyboy said:
Someone know who this rider is? Can't recognise the photo https://www.strava.com/athletes/5654017

He rode these races, but can't find someone who did them all:

2010 - Montreal, Quebec
2011 - Ronde, Roubaix, Amstel, Liege
2012 - Tour Med, Le Samyn, Britain, Lombardia, Beijing
2013 - Trofeo Migjorn, Trofeo Platja de Muro, Liege

I just found him because he's KOM for Côte de Saint-Nicolas

The only team to have ridden all these races Tour Med, Le Samyn, Britain, Lombardia, Beijing in 2012 was Vacansoleil. That might help you track down who the Strava profile belongs to but as you mentioned it doesn't match up, also noticed a few rides were flagged so it really doesn't make sense.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
The queenstage of the Österreich-Rundfahrt has been announced almost 2 weeks ago.
It's stage 5, Kitzbühel - Sankt Johann/Alpendorf, almost 213km and a ton of climbs.
Pass Thurn, Felbertauern, Iselsberg Pass, Hochtor + Fuscher Törl (this climb minus the final 2km) and and uphill finish in Alpendorf after 40km of flat, it's around 2.5km at 6.4%.
The stage should look like this:
oesterreich-rundfahrt2017_kitz.png

Source: http://www.oesterreich-rundfahrt.at...t-grossglockner-pass-thurn-und-felbertauern-1
With the stage starting in Kitzbühel we should have the traditional hard Kitzbüheler Horn MTF on stage 4, with such a hard MTF right before it stage 5 could be nasty.
Stage 6 will be Alpendorf-Wels, the say it's the last real gc stage, so probably a hilly/medium mountain stage (at least that's what I'm hoping for), but I've got no Idea how hard it's gonna be.

Could be interesting, but always a shame with those long flats after the Großglockner. Also, I don't see many hills/mountains around Wells, so I expect the last 20-30 km to be quite flat. There will be some medium mountains early on, but I think the part about deciding the GC was because it is the final stage of the tour, not because of the terrain.

The tour starts on July 2nd in Graz with a short prologue. Cobbled for the first half with steep ramps. Should hurt pretty good.

http://www.schlossbergman.at/images/media/Karte_17_1.jpg

Re:

jens_attacks said:
live again on orf ?
I doubt it :(

@Mayomaniac
Pretty sure, the Großglockner stage is the penultimate stage and the stage to Wels will be the last one and one for sprinters. One can get confused because the race is 7 days long, but the first "stage" is a prologue so there are only 6 real stages which is why the Großglockner stage is stage 5. Other confirmed stages are Graz-Wien on stage one and Wien-Pöggstall on stage 2. Stage one will therefore be a sprint stage, while stage two might give attackers a chance. I think I read something about an up to 20% steep ramp close to the finish. Stage 4 will most likely end on the Kitzbüheler Horn, so there is basically only one stage finish we don't know yet.

About the stage to St. Johann Alpendorf, I like the stage and it could cause carnage in a race with relatively weak teams. However I miss the old Hochtor-Dientner Sattel-Alpendorf combo. The Großglockner was even further away but because of the other climb between there was another good place for attacks. And it makes me nostalgic to think about Fuglsangs 100 km solo which was one of the last times an Österreich Rundfahrt stage was shown live on TV.

Tour of Britain route just got presented. Looks very flat, which is lame.

Seems a strange decision as they've had good fields in recent years catering to Worlds contenders. I guess the length is good for preparation but hard to imagine the field will be that great.

2h39e93.jpg

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
jens_attacks said:
live again on orf ?
I doubt it :(

@Mayomaniac
Pretty sure, the Großglockner stage is the penultimate stage and the stage to Wels will be the last one and one for sprinters. One can get confused because the race is 7 days long, but the first "stage" is a prologue so there are only 6 real stages which is why the Großglockner stage is stage 5. Other confirmed stages are Graz-Wien on stage one and Wien-Pöggstall on stage 2. Stage one will therefore be a sprint stage, while stage two might give attackers a chance. I think I read something about an up to 20% steep ramp close to the finish. Stage 4 will most likely end on the Kitzbüheler Horn, so there is basically only one stage finish we don't know yet.

About the stage to St. Johann Alpendorf, I like the stage and it could cause carnage in a race with relatively weak teams. However I miss the old Hochtor-Dientner Sattel-Alpendorf combo. The Großglockner was even further away but because of the other climb between there was another good place for attacks. And it makes me nostalgic to think about Fuglsangs 100 km solo which was one of the last times an Österreich Rundfahrt stage was shown live on TV.
I'd like so see the same Glockner stage with an uphill finish in Schmittenhöhe above Zell am See, that would mean only 15km of flat after the Großglockner descent. Of course the Dientner Sattel stage would be great, but I'd love to see a stage with Glockner from north, then the Pustertaler Höhenstraße with a finish in Sillian, or even on the Kartitscher Satte, that would be pure awesomeness.
The Glockner always reminds me of my father's stories about climbing Glockner and Tre Cime with 42x23 back in the late 70ies/early 80ies, I don't think that I could climb with that kind of gearing.