• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 450 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's actually funny because I have the feeling that Fuglsang has had an absolutely astonishing season while Valverde has had a pretty lacklustre year.

Yet, somehow, Valverde has almost 200 CQ points more and is in third place.
Probably, CQ ranking rates smaller races higher than the equivalent PCS ranking where Fuglsang is higher than Valverde.
https://www.procyclingstats.com/rankings.php

If purely world tour races, it is no contest between the two, and the same goes for the UCI world ranking. But both of these systems are deeply flawed, insofar as the aim was to reflect prestige, because of the way that new exotic WT races give way too many points.

By the way, why is Gilbert nominated for the Velo d'Or????
He won Paris-Roubaix and 2 Vuelta stages.

But I agree he shouldn't be on the list. Same as Remco. There were conversations even on this forum who between Remco and Pogačar has had the better first season and many would agree it's been Pogačar. Yet Remco is nominated because of the hype.

But I agree he shouldn't be on the list. Same as Remco. There were conversations even on this forum who between Remco and Pogačar has had the better first season and many would agree it's been Pogačar. Yet Remco is nominated because of the hype.
Well I was just wondering, seeing that he has barely done anything apart from those results you mention. Seem very cheap for a velo d'Or nominee. Mads P as World Champ I can understand even if his season has been a mess otherwise. But in my opinion Bettiol also deserves a nomination when Gilbert gets one, as he had a much better spring with multiple top results including the RVV win. In all fairness it is not too hard to find at least 20 riders who've had better seasons than Gilbert

And many would say it was Remco. Now what. What kind of an argument is that?

I think they should both be on there. Remco obviously is nominated for being 19, winning a classic, being European champ ITT and runner up at the WCC. Few had a better season this year, regardless of age.

Pogacar should be on there for his Vuelta and to a lesser extent his age and California. But he should definitely be on the list either way. I actually came to this thread to say just that, before reading the discussion.

Neither Pogacar nor Evenepoel should be on there but if they nominate the same amount of riders every year the cutoff has to fall somewhere.
Assuming they nominate for "outstanding achievements" then you have to factor in age/development as well, imho. Pogacar won 3 mountain stages in the Vuelta + GC podium, a stage + GC in California and Algarve. Evenepoel "won" Hammer Limburg, a stage + GC in BBT, a stage in AIRace, Classica San Sebastian, gold ECC ITT, silver WCC ITT. They basically won more than a lot of sprinters did this year. For me, they both deserve to be on there (and more than some others who are). That doesn't have to mean they are contenders for Alaphilippe or Roglic to win.

Edo Maas, a 19 year old Dutchman riding for Sunweb crashed into a car that suddenly entered the parcours in the descent of the Madonna del Ghisallo in Il Piccolo Lombardia.

He's stable and his life isn't in danger, but he suffered multiple fractures to his back, neck and face.
https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/943696015/dwarslaesie-voor-sunweb-talent-maas-19

Despite multiple intensive surgeries, Maas suffers from paraplegia as a result of his crash and doctors say it's unlikely he'll regain function of his legs.

TRENDING THREADS