• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 451 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I repeat what other pro riders (NOT dutch, before that card gets pulled) have said

"There seems to be a great disparity between what the fans see and what pro riders see".

As in, pro riders see what Eeckhoff did as perfectly normal and acceptable after bad luck early in the race. So if it isn't, for them it's a huge change in pro cycling.
While fans think they've seen something outrageous, which isn't the case because it happens all the time, basically everytime even.

Applying a rule 50% of the time is worse than applying it 0% of the time imo.

I'd bet my left kidney he wouldn't have been DQ if he didn't win.

Stokbro and Konychev got DQed and they didn't win.

But I probably know what your next argument would be.

And going to CAS over application of rules that they agreed to respect as license holders is frankly hilarious.

Stokbro and Konychev got DQed and they didn't win.

Stokbro was even DQed after he'd already abandoned. Essentially, he that issue (can't remember if it was a crash of mechanic…), tried to get back behind his car, was told to stop, stopped, and realised it was hopeless… So for him it's only a matter of having a DSQ next to his name rather than a DNF.

As for Eekhoff; it's kind of complicated, because… well… not really fair to Battistella to just take his championship away now.
Guess all UCI can do now is to admit that the whole thing was stupid, and promise that in the future they'll be much more careful with (after-the-fact) DQing.

Okay, this is completely crazy! But could UCI essentially decide that "You know what? *** this! You're both World Champions now! Battistella de jure, and Eekhoff de facto!"? It could only possibly work because it's a U23 race, and they're both moving up to the WT, so neither will get a chance to wear the jersey anyway…

Last edited:
Honestly, when I first saw the first post about this (without reading the article) my initial reaction was "Well, did he say anything about how long after?"
Like, Bernal is retiring after winning the Tour de France - obviously, since he's already won it - so "after" in this case could mean one year (hopefully not) or ten years (or twenty years…)

Honestly, when I first saw the first post about this (without reading the article) my initial reaction was "Well, did he say anything about how long after?"
Like, Bernal is retiring after winning the Tour de France - obviously, since he's already won it - so "after" in this case could mean one year (hopefully not) or ten years (or twenty years…)

Too bad so many riders decide to stop before winning the Tour.

Looks somewhat underwhelming, certainly if you factor in the stage length. Stages 2 and 4 should be solid, the rest looks like reduced bunch sprints. This must also be the only race not to hand out mountain points for the hardest climb of the race (Passo Castrin). And then there's another stage where the hardest climb of the day (Vinschgauer Höhenstrasse) goes uncategorised, makes RCS look logical.

TRENDING THREADS